“I've never experienced a hassle like this” 1 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Kelowna Hotel & Suites

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Kelowna Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Kelowna Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2402 Hwy 97 N, Kelowna, British Columbia V1X 4J1, Canada (Central City)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
North Vancouver, Canada
“I've never experienced a hassle like this”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I booked a room online for my husband to stay in while in Kelowna for his niece's wedding. I booked and paid online, just like each of the 50+ hotels I have booked in the past ten years.

When he got there, and went to check in, they told him they would have to 're-verify' the purchase, and FAX me a bunch of paperwork to fill out. Fax? I booked this and paid online in advance.

They required a photocopy of the front and back of both my credit card and driver's license, which is a huge breach of safety when it comes to identity theft.

I'm shocked at this and deeply irritated. This is 2012! I book hotels online all the time, and often for other people in my circle. My card has a high limit and had thousands of dollars of room on it. They never said the card was a problem, they just said when you book online you have to do a bunch of extra stuff by fax.

Very weird. I'll never book at a Best Western again unless I want to risk making someone stand at the front desk looking like an a-hole while the staff try to figure out how online booking works.

Very disappointing and honestly extremely weird.

Room Tip: Don't book at this hotel for another party, such as a family member. They won't be allowed...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
patersonKelowna, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Kelowna Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I apologize that the booking and arrival of this stay was not a positive experience for you. Please understand that we do book hundreds of reservations (this summer alone) through 3rd party web-sites so there is more to this review than is outlined and unfortunately, I don't have enough information to see who the visitor was and track comments from the reservation etc.

When booking online, the credit card does pay for the room and tax in advance (although sometimes they are not charged until morning of arrival) and there are several notations within the 3rd party forms that must be reviewed. All hotels will recommend that after making your reservation online, please call the hotel directly to ensure that all the details are as you need and that the number of beds and guests, specific needs etc are correct. This is extremely important and avoids complications at time of arrival, especially on sold out dates.

When the guest arrives, they must still have a credit card to act as security for the room and any incidental charges. If they don't have a credit card, then cash is an option but it is large amount (depending on the hotel - $200 - $400 or more). If they don't have these options, then the hotel will need to have the fax process of cc and authorization forms done as described above. These steps are common place and done to protect the credit card holder and the hotel from credit card fraud.

If this reviewer would like to contact me or my Guest Services Manager directly, we would certainly like to look into this situation with the necessary specifics so that we can avoid any situations reoccurring again in the future.

Thank you for your time.
Rosemary Paterson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Port Moody, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

The management and staff of this hotel obviously take pride in attention to detail, it was very clean! Not the most luxurious of hotels and there for a bit pricy but, given how immaculate the rooms were it was worth it.

Located close to restaurants and shopping, not far for downtown waterfront area.

The breakfast is good, takes time to get an omelet but better than continental - if only we had the option not to include it in the room rate.

Overall good experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us. Our team takes great pride in trying to meet and exceed all expectations of our guests and make your room and stay feel like "home away from home". We've added many extra amenities into our guest rooms that are not standard such as electric magnifying make up mirrors and bathrobes in all room.

Thank you again for your review and we will hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Salmon Arm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Some friends and I stayed here when we came to town to catch Cirque du Soliel's Quidam (great show BTW) and we got a room on the 5th floor. There aren't many rooms on the higher floors, I think each floor only has 10 rooms or so, and that was nice, no long gloomy hallways to walk down! The room was nice, a little on the small side, but since we didn't have kids with us it was no big deal. The wall of windows was gorgeous and the balcony was so nice to sit on and have a glass of wine, or a morning coffee :) The front desk gave us extra toiletries (girls don't want to share those things, y'know) with no problems, and the smell of the shampoo ect was wonderful!!

The only complaint I have is with the breakfast, it is really a snatch and grab type of affair, there are 3 stations to get food, and it's kind of spread apart, and there is no clear place to line up, or wait your turn. It's loud, it's awkward and it doesn't work well. And with a 20 minute wait for an omelet, I'd suggest going to IHOP or De Dutch for breakfast instead.

I'd stay again, just not for breakfast ;)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your comments about your past stay. I am really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the service and amenities met your expectations.

I am sorry to hear that the breakfast comments were not more positive. We do have approximately 300+ people utilizing the complimentary breakfast and with that volume, the duration does take longer and the omelet station can be extremely busy. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and we will work towards streamlining it better.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts. We will hope to have you join us again in the future.
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed here with our baseball team. We were on the ground floor. The rooms were nice and clean. The pool was nice and large for the kids to play in. The lobby was huge so we could make sandwiches etc for our team. It was nice to sit outside at night drinking by the pool. The stay included a brunch breakfast which was okay, but nothing to write home about. It took way too long for them to make an omelette.

The staff at the desk were very nice. I would certainly stay here again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us. I am really pleased that you and your team were able to make use of the Atrium area off the lobby to visit and organize the group etc. We also have our BBQ's in that area so if you are staying in a kitchen suite, you can plan a dinner on the BBQ!

Thanks again for booking the team with us and we will look forward to the opportunity of accommodating your group again in the future!
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is a great hotel to stay with family. We stayed for 3 nights with our 4.5 year old and dog on the ground floor with a patio opening up to the grassy area next to the pool. We were next to the parking lot which turned out to be handy since we could park our mini-van in the spot right next to our room. The location is excellent and there is a supermarket across the street.

Our check in experience was good and they present you with cookies and bottled water. The beds were very comfortable, the room was clean, modern and well appointed and the internet was excellent. The location was quiet, we loved the pool, I called to the front desk for extra towels and it didn't take long for someone to bring them. There is complimentary coffee in the lobby (as well as with the in room ameneties) and I enjoyed reading the paper and having a cup of coffee on the patio overlooking the lawn and garden.

The parking lot wraps around the hotel so there are lots of options for parking close to an exit near your room.

I would stay here again. This is a great hotel with or without kids. Other guests commented to me that they love the hotel as well.

A note about having a ground floor room near the parking lot - if you leave your patio door open, do take care to place your valuables in a safe place to avoid theft. We weren't affected but we did hear from one guest that he was during a previous stay. That's just a tip and would not change my decision to stay in one of those lovely rooms near the garden.

Having said that there were a couple of things that need to be improved upon to make the stay here 'excellent' rather than 'very good'.

The housekeeping lacks the details that would make a stay here excellent. Although the room was clean, there was a dog treat on the floor when we arrived. Our second day, some of the used cups/glasses were not replaced (they were left in the room).

The hot breakfast buffet that was included in the room price was a disaster. I over heard one guest describe it as a 'gong show' - the staff looked mad at somebody, one staff member came in with a tray of cups scowling and shaking her head. The poor omelette cook had a 25 minute wait for omelettes (only 2 burners). Another staff member brought in a hotel pan of sausages, dumped it over the existing one including about a cup of grease from the bottom of the pan. Everything appeared so disorganized and the staff looked like they desperately wanted whole experience to end. The restaurant smelled like old grease... even my 4.5 year old pointed that out and then ate the rest of her cereal with her nose plugged. I half expected Gordon Ramsay to arrive and send everyone home. Breakfast is not an easy shift and it's only made worse when it's "free" but I really felt like the staff needed better leadership. I would have preferred to not have it included in the room rate.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your thoughtful review of your recent stay. I am so pleased that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us, especially the location of your standard pet friendly courtyard room.

I do apologize that our housekeeping staff missed the doggie cookie on the floor - we do provide treats for the dogs and obviously we missed cleaning it up after the previous guest departure. This is rare as we have an exceptional housekeeping team, but again, my sincere apologies. Re the glassware - if during a stay there are glasses with content still in them, the housekeepers will leave them alone as we don't truly know if they are finished with or have special contents that we don't know about. It's hard to know as some guests get annoyed if we dispose of contents, so we error on the side of caution, not through lack of attention to detail.

I do apologize that the complimentary breakfast buffet was not satisfactory. We are working on some changes to help with the flow and delivery of the food. Over the last months of summer, the facility has been extremely busy and the high volume at certain points can create some challenges. We are working on this to recitfy the situation.

Thank you again for your comments. We will hope to accommodate you again in the future.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

This is a perfect place for families with kids who need physical activity in order to remain civilized. The pool can be closed off to bad weather, and there is a big lawn in the courtyard perfect for playing catch or tag. The breakfast buffet is perfectly fine, especially if you're in a hurry, or have to heard kids, and better than most free Motel breakfasts. Yes the pancakes and scrambled eggs are a bit dry; face it, this isn't the chateau lake louise. The omelette station can make you eggs to order. If you're picky, there is a Ricky's within less than 5 minutes and a Cora's within less than 10. We like Ricky's and Cora's, but we ate at the hotel every morning because it's so convenient. If you want a really higher end breakfast, the Jammery, about a 15 minute drive east on the 97, will satisfy your brioche French toast or scones and English cream craving. Bathroom was spotless, shower water pressure was just fine, and towels were big and good. You could park near your room. Lots of dinner choices within 10 minutes, large mall within 2 km.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at our property. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and all the facilities including the grass courtyard and the pool. Thanks for your thoughts on the complimentary breakfast and great suggestions for the future travellers!

We will hope to have you visit us again soon. Thanks again for your time.
Rosemary Paterson

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Kelowna Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!