“Horrible” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Star Lodge

You added Star Lodge to your Saves list
Star Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   775 Columbia St. W., Kamloops, British Columbia V2C 1K9, Canada   |
Ranked #43 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
British Columbia
“Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

Clerk didn't know how to use computer and couldn't log on - said I didn't have a reservation - but I had prepaid and had the paperwork with me. He wouldn't call anyone for help. I called Econo Lodge head office and they called him twice, but he still argued I would have to pay him and get a refund from the online service. It took 50 minutes before he would give me a room - it was stained, dingy and noisy. The bathroom fan made everything shake, the fridge needed unplugging because it was rattled, there was a hole in the wall and things were stained all over. The non-stop party/music/student noise was awful. I slept with a chair against the door.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011 via mobile

Stayed here one nyt, one nyt too long. No towels in bathroom, air con unit not working, noisy as hell, skanky bathroom, fleas in the linen & carpet .... room cleaner didn't know we were there and just walked straight in.... this is the 9th econolodge I've stayed at in 5 weeks and the only one I've not liked. Gives econolodge a bad name.

• Stayed August 2011
Vancouver Island, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

This filthy room was the worst ever. Mattress like cardboard, stained with body fluids, black hair on the sheets and pillow cases. Threadbare single blanket. Mold on ceiling in bathroom.
Dirt on vanity in bathroom, both old and fresh body fluid stains on vanity face.
Cobwebs in every corner. Lock and security chain absent.
Originally booked 2 nights, left the next morning- running to the car!
I understand the budget room but no excuse for the dirt. Horrible experience.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Victoria, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

I cannot believe I actually stayed in this motel.
When we first settled into the room the itching started....I couldn't find anything in the sheets but could not stop scratching.
The dust was pretty thick in really obvious places.
The fridge door didn't close properly (food safe?)
There wasn't any smoke alarms which I will report to the city.
My husbands feet became very black from the carpet.( I kept my shoes on )
When I got home I washed everything in my suitcase even though it was clean......Good Luck.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Chester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

I suppose it is cheap by Kamloop standards but expect what you pay for. I survived in room 128 for a couple of nights. Although resonably clean the room stank like a stale ashtray, the decor was dirty and in need of a repaint, the bedding was best described as 'grubby', the security lock on the door had been ripped out, there was no plug for the sink and the shower only worked if one permanently held on to the bath/shower lever.
The wonderful indoor swimming pool advertised in the blurb and on the hotel exterior was free of any risk of drowning as it looked as though it had been empty for years. I have stayed in some downmarket hotels in my time but the owners of this one should seriously consider demolition or a thorough refurb. One good thng is it makes a Travellodge seem like a 5 star hotel for the same price. Sorry owners but you'll have to try harder or think about another vocation!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

My husband and I went to Kamloops for a little get away this past long weekend and stayed at the Econo Lodge. The rooms are quite cozy and very clean. The room had a nice balcony with a spectacular view! The staff was always very kind, courteous and helpful. It is also a great location, only minutes away from downtown, shopping and dinning.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Western
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

My spouse and I were traveling to Banff from Vancouver and knew we would have to stay in Kamloops for the night. All hotels were booked due to the BC long weekend and my choices were Econo Lodge or Knights Inn. I read both reviews on trip advisor and there were quite a few people who said Econo Lodge was good enough for a quick overnight. Well, they didn't stay in room 127. There were cobwebs on the ceiling, black mildew in the shower and brown mildew above the tub, stale smoke trapped in the carpet and don't even get me started on the hairs found in the bedding. We slept fully clothed with ear plugs in (because there was a party going on). In the morning when I contemplated making coffee, I found coffee grounds still in the maker from the last person's stay. This overnighter (or 6 hr sleep) cost $100, which in my opinion was $99.99 too much.
To all of you trip advisor reviewers; stay somewhere else when visiting Kamloops!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Star Lodge? Share your experiences!