“Get What You Pay For... and more” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Thompson Hotel and Conference Centre

Save Saved
You added The Thompson Hotel and Conference Centre to your Saves list
The Thompson Hotel and Conference Centre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   650 Victoria Street, Kamloops, British Columbia V2C 2B4, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Saturday Night Special
Ranked #11 of 54 hotels in Kamloops
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Vancouver, BC
“Get What You Pay For... and more”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for a night while "auditioning" Kamloops as a city to move to to raise our children (we refuse to raise kids in Vancouver). Even though we arrived three hours before check-in, the front desk was more than willing to let us check in early.

Rooms were clean and spacious. A quick walk up Victoria Street to numerous restaurants (do try the Pacho's at Kelly O'Bryan's, just a few blocks up the street!). We didn't have a dip in the pool, but we did enjoy the use of the pool table until the wee hours of the morning. The night clerk at the front desk encouraged us to bring our own beer into the games room, which was nice. I'd definitely stay here again and recommend it to friends who are thinking of visiting.

Kamloops, and this hotel, exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

243 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for a Convention at the end of June for 3 nights. When we had to return the next weekend to attend one day of a Convention we chose to stay at the Thompson for another night. Both times we had a wonderful stay.

I ride a mobility scooter for distances and found the hotel was easy to get around in and the staff was lovely and helpful. The rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable (more comfortable even than our own at home)!

There are two choices for room service. Frik and Frak (previously Fogg and Sudds also in walking distance) which offers an extensive and tasy menu. There is also an in house restaurant which we did not try but were told was nice and offers dine-in option also. There are other restaurants and stores (London Drugs, Tim Hortons, huge Dollar store, Liquor store) in a few blocks radius as well.

I felt comfortable walking alone during the day in the area during the day and with my husband at night.

The hotel has a nice pool and hot tub. There is also room attached to the pool that has a very large TV and arcade games and air hockey. I think there was also a pool table. The games are all "paid" games.

There also was free wi-fi so I could use my lap-top in room which was appreciated. The parking was great. Everything was so convenient we seldom needed to move our car, but when we did we got a spot again no problem.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

I stayed here at the beginning of May with our Lacrosse Team. We found hotel to be accomodating for our team needs - storage area, games room, indoor pool. I was greeted each morning by every staff member I saw - lots of hellos & smiles! The Breakfast Buffet in the morning was great, the kids love waffles. The best part was the beds, I wanted to take mine home.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
North Shore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

The hotel did not inform us of the renovation in progress, and we had to enter thru a side door, with stairs, which made bringing in luggage a bit daunting. But the rooms although not very spacious was very clean. The bedding and mattresses were excellent. The rooms were upkept our whole week there.
The kids loved the pool and games room.
The dining room seemed to be going thru some issues, and rarely open in time for breakfast. This was annoying.
The strip has tons of restaurants we loved.
The shops and spas seemed higher priced than I was used to living on the North Shore. Which I found surprising.
What was most disturbing was the change I saw in the city from a few years prior. We noticed (with young children in tow, yet old enough to understand) on a Thursday at 11 am a 'john' bartering over price with a woman in front of London Drugs. A good friend of ours was being followed by a very rough looking character, when my husband drove behind....he then left. The bar crowd as they were leaving at 2am down the street was apparently very noisy. Fortunately, we didn't hear anything. I do rec'd however not to walk alone. And do not leave anything in view, let alone any valuables out of view in your vehicle. I also would rec'd not to flash any amounts of cash.
Many obviously 'high' residents at the park making some scenes in broad daylight...amongst the children playing. The street life was more than obvious, it was in our face. And the only officer I saw was once in a coffee shop. The Thompson had at that time a few hiccups, but on the whole, it is a good hotel, and in a convenient place. However it is the city that needs better management in order to provide a safe and secure environment.

• Liked — Clean bedding, new mattresses, clean room
  • Disliked — Street Life
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Belfast Northern Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

Good hotel - only stayed night. Location good. Room large with comfy beds, microwave, fridge, large bathroom. No complaints about this hotel. Didnt eat breakfast here and never used the pool

• Liked — Rooms, safe in room
  • Disliked — Nothing as only stayed for one night
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

A one night stay during our trip from Calgary to Vancouver. Other hotels visited on the journey were
· Mount Royal Banff
· Amethyst Jasper
· Sandman Hotel Calgary
· Quality Vancouver

We arrived at the Thompson round 5pm on a very hot night so were grateful to leave the porterage in the care of the very friendly female assistant manager & her ‘two lads’ who dealt very well with the bags. It seems that the lads farther & grandfather were porters at the Thompson & the task has been handed down – I like things like that – this hotel is going to be interesting.

Rooms were the best on our tour. Rated as ‘Gold Leave’ to those of you on the Rocky Mountaineer , those who were not gold leave – you are next door at the Executive – those of us on the Travelsphere Coach were very happy to be at the Thompson

As I say the rooms were really good, freshly decorated, immaculate bathroom, & a ‘welcome guide’ that must be read – AND I MEAN THAT.

You will discover in the guide that at the Thompson they have a mission statement – they are committed to delivering a spectacular guest experience ( that’s good) – but at a small price :-

· If you smoke in the room here is a $250 ‘recovery charge’ – that’s good isn’t it – sorry smokers you are banished to the rear of the car park.
· If you turn on the fridge there is a small charge,
· The laundry @ the Thompson must be popular – they tell you in the guide that you are allocated 4 x bath towels ($15 each) , 2 x hand towels ( $7 each) 2 x face clothes ( $4 each) 1 x bathmat ( $15) eight pillows ($40 each) 2 x robes ( $35 a piece) and blankets at $60 each – so make sure you check what you have otherwise a charge will come your way.

At the Thompson they CARE – that means they Communicate, Anticipate and Respond Enthusiastically – I love this place.

Staying at the Thompson according to their room guide is the Upside of Staying Down-town. It looks like the manager has been on a customer service course & has taken everything on board.

There is swimming pool & gym off reception & a games room with mostly free vend games such as air hockey, football, arcade games – really good.

As for food – we had a good meal at the Frogg & Sud ( franchise pub) across the street & in the morning a nice muffin & coffee from ‘Zacks’ a few minutes walk away.

WARNING – those of you o a coach tour – remember those porter lads – well they weigh your bags in & out ( perhaps to check for a stray Thompson pillow) – the lightest wins a price as does the heaviest. They come on the bus on your departure & announce the results – all good fun – or is it ? Either way the two lads & the nice female assistant manager stand n the pavement & wave you off – you al come back again now.

The Thompson – an experience , Kamloops – much better than I thought – take a walk by the river you will be surprised & it will give you an opportunity to have free smoke.

• Stayed May 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Trail, BC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2008

When our soccer team had a tournament in Kamloops, the team manager reserved a block of rooms at the Thompson for $139 which included breakfast. I phoned to confirm the reservation with my visa number, and I was assured that yes, breakfast was included.

Upon arrival, we were informed that the breakfast deal was not going to be honoured, but the price would be lowered by $10 per night (breakfast was $10 per adults, $5 per kids). I complained and the staff said I would have to talk to the manager of the hotel the next morning (and to be fair, they felt badly and were nice about it).

When I spoke to the manager the next morning she was polite but a bit condescending, and I was told that she couldn't find enough staff, so we would end up being unhappy with the service (though part of the breakfast was self-serve) and that's why they reneged on the deal.

So I guess if I PAID for my breakfast, and got bad service because of lack of staff, that would be OK??

Stayed May 2008

Been to The Thompson Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!