“Don't seem to follow typical HI Express chain protocol, unfortunately.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express - Kamloops

You added Holiday Inn Express - Kamloops to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express - Kamloops
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1550 Versatile Dr, Kamloops, British Columbia V1S 1X4, Canada (Aberdeen)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
SAVE between 10-30%!
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Kamloops
Calgary
“Don't seem to follow typical HI Express chain protocol, unfortunately.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

I stay at a lot of HI Express hotels, and find that despite Priority Club Gold membership, it really gets you nothing at this place. Whereas other locations routinely give a gift bag at checkin, or upgrade your room, or chocolate on the nightstand, this place did not even slip the bill under the door automatically. When I pointed this out, they said if I ask they will. Well, duh, so would almost any hotel. The point is, my company has spent many thousands of dollars with this chain over the years, just my rooms alone. Start living up to what the glossy brochures promise and adopt the standards the other locations adhere too. I was treated better at the Best Western and am not even a member of their program.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
GeneralManager1550, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Kamloops, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review.

The items you describe are called local extras and vary from property to property. At the Holiday Inn Express Kamloops our local extras consist of complimentary coffee available 24hrs in the area where our free breakfast is served in the mornings. In addition, we provide a fresh fruit in the lobby, on most week days our Guest Experience Champion greets arriving guest with chocolates, and during the winter months, hot cider. All Priority Club guests are given a welcome letter with chocolates and there's additional cholocates in the rooms on our executive floor. If we have executive rooms available when a Priority Club guest arrives we provide a complimentary upgrade to those rooms.
Christina Lutterman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

Hi, Me and my wife stayed at this hotel in January. I would mention both the pros and cons.

Pros - Nice location, very close to malls and restaurants. A clean hotel. Pool and spa also there.

Cons- Let me explain what put me off and made me really disappointed. The customer service by the lady at the reception was horrible. It was late at night and i called the reception to ask where i could find water bottles. We were told that only 3 rd floor or king bed rooms are given complimentary water and we can find a vending machine to buy water. It was around 10 at night and we were just tired to go look for vending machines as we had a long drive from another province. After all, just a water bottle which other places provide easily. Unbelievable. Next morning, there was another staff member and i brought it to their attention.
Little things sometimes do go a long way in coming back to a hotel. For me, this incidence and lack of customer service skills was a huge disappointment. I have never come across a hotel that just refused a customer water.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
eloise1175, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Kamloops, responded to this review, February 21, 2011
Thank you for your review.
I would like to apologize for the conduct of the Front Desk Agent on duty that night. There is absolutely no excuse for not providing you with bottled water. We place two bottles of complimentary water each day in all exceutive guest rooms on the fourth floor and keep a supply behind the Front Desk for any additional guests who may request it. I will once again go over this policy with all our Front Desk staff to ensure this never happens again. Once again, please accept my sincere apologies. We always strive to provide outstanding service to our guests and this clearly fell short of that goal. We will always take responsibility when we fail to provide the service both we and our guests expect from our staff.
Launceston, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for one night in late September 2010 on our way to the Canadian Rockies. Upon check-in we were told that our room was on the top floor and that the floor was being renovated. We didn't have a problem with that. The hallway on the 3rd floor was a working site, completely unfinished, but the room was very nice. We had a King room which faced the car park which we found good as we could see our hire car.

The room was a good size with seating and a writing desk. There was a cloak area just inside the room and tea/coffee facilities. The bathroom was also quite nice.

Their swimming pool downstairs was nice after a long day of traveling from Vancouver. We took the sea to sky highway upon leaving Vancouver which adds another 2 hours to the journey to Kamloops (about a 6 hour drive). The pool wasn't big nor deep but it was a refreshing dip.

We decided to go out for dinner and chose Chapters. The girl at the front desk gave us directions and also made the booking for us after some prompting. She thought it would be hard to find but we came across it without any incident.

The complimentary breakfast was the biggest let down of the stay. We were heading for Golden that morning so we thought we should get a good breakfast in before heading out. The food wasn't fantastic and there was very little choice on offer. Neither of us finished our breakfast.

In all the Holiday inn is a good basic hotel that could do with a little improvement. We enjoyed our room which was the main thing.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

First, the parking lot lights were out. I asked the front desk about it and was given a blank look and an "ohh". Our vehicle has been ripped before in a similar ituation and are a little gunshy about security. But we had pre-paid for the room so we had to stay.

The room is poorly lit with a good bed. The bathroom was well lit but the counter space is quite limited. The wall-to-wall carpet is poorly fitted with small bare spaces along one wall.

Breakfast was standard for the HIE. Not bad, Wi-Fi was slow compared to other HIE locations.

The drink machines were out of stock. I had to go to three different floors to get what I wanted.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
HIEKAMLOOPS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Kamloops, responded to this review, January 19, 2011
Thank you for submitting your review.
As the concerns raised did not come to my attention during your stay here it is somewhat difficult to address some of the issues raised i.e. carpet being poorly installed in the room you occupied. Our rooms are inspected daily and this has not been brought to my attention as something that needs to be attended to. If you would please contact me privately with the room number we will address this issue immediately.
Our parking lot lights are on a sensor and automatically switch on and off according to natural light levels.
We are always monitoring the vending machines for inventory availability. I'm not sure if we had teams in house during or just prior to your stay with us. When this happens there is sometimes a shortage for a day or so while we are waiting for the machines to be refilled by our suppliers. We are not able to access stock ourselves.
As we always stive to provide superior service I would like to be able to look into the concerns raised in more detail. Please feel free to contact me at 1-800-996-3993 or through my direct e-mail gm@hiekamloops.com
GM Holiday Inn Express Kamloops
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed in a jacuzzi suite at the Holiday Inn Express in Kamloops on our way from Vancouver to Calgary in November of 2010. The service was good - I was immediately recognized as a priority club member, given a welcome letter and offered a late check-out. We enjoyed our stay and had a good night sleep.

Pros:
-our suite was very roomy with two bathrooms (impressive!), a bar, a livingroom and a spacious bedroom separated by interior french doors
-the livingroom was cozy with a gas fireplace
-the jacuzzi was meters from our bed, it was nice to relax in the tub and watch tv at the same time, especially after spending time on the highway
-luxurious robes
-the king-sized bed was very comfortable and the bedding was nice and clean
-the exterior of the hotel is very appealing, as is the lobby
-the staff is friendly and courteous

Cons:
-we both noticed a strong chemical smell when walking from the elevator to our suite, this unpleasant odor lingered around the hallway during our entire stay
-some of the decor was dated in my opinion, particulary the carpet and wallpaper
-the temperature in the room was inconsistant and uncomfortable at times
-the $300+ no smoking policy had me on edge
-our rate wasn't an exceptional value, even though we purchased in advance

Suggestions to the hotel manager:

-please look into the chemical smell between the jacuzzi suite and the elevator, it was quite noticable and unpleasant. We didn't let this first impression ruin our stay but others may not be so forgiving. I seem to recall there being a housekeeper's storage room between the suite and the elevator and there being an open drain, it may be as simple as closing a door or creating a barricade of sorts.

-you may want to consider updating the decor. The pictures in our suite were quite nice but the wallpaper seemed dated and I wasn't a fan of the red carpet. This is obviously a subjective evaluation based on my own personal opinion, please take it as such.

-the heat in our room ranged from uncomfortably hot around 6 PM to freezing cold in the middle of the night. The settings on your in-room heaters could be a little more user-friendly. The temperature seemed to stray a little too far from room temperature, both above and below. Perhaps it'd be a good time to consider updating or replacing the units.

-the iron-clad no smoking policy had me on edge during our entire stay. I didn't smoke in the suite but was worried that I'd be charged $300+ for something that seems to be very discretionary. It appears to be company policy and I understand if it can not be changed. I applaud your company's efforts to keep the rooms smoke-free but feel that the threat of a $300+ charge is a bit excessive. The policy wasn't explained to us very well and after reading mshawLondon's review I was quite apprehensive.

Regarding the rate that we were charged:

We stayed in a jacuzzi suite at the Holiday Inn Express in Surrey in August of 2010, also paying in advance, and received a considerably cheaper rate (we paid approx. $130/night compared to $190 at your hotel). Out of curiousity, I just checked what their rate would be for this upcoming Monday/Tuesday (November 29th-30th 2010, we stayed in your hotel on a Monday/Tuesday, also in November 2010), paying in advance (they require 3 days notice) and the rate comes to $109 plus taxes ($124.26).

I realize that Surrey is a different market and prices do fluctuate from city to city. I won't go as far as to suggest that I was ripped off but I would very much like an extra $60 in my pocket right now. Afterall, we are talking about two very simliar hotels that are part of the same company, the same room type, the same hotel class (according to this website they're both two and a half star hotels), approximately 3 and a half hours apart in the same province, in the same month, the same day of the week, both bought in advance and based on double occupancy. I'm sure that you can appreciate why I wouldn't feel as though I received great value at your hotel.

Overall, we had fun in Kamloops and enjoyed our stay at the Holiday Inn Express. We would consider returning, but may look to other options if the rate remains the same.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
HIEKAMLOOPS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Kamloops, responded to this review, November 25, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to evaluate our property. I'm happy that for the most part your stay with us was an enjoyable one.
We have been undergoing extensive renovations since March of this year. The chemical smell you noticed during your stay was unfortunately due to some of our newly installed furniture having to be refinished as they were damaged after installation, and I sincerely apologize for that. Our renovations at this time did not include wall paper and guest room carpets. We are hoping that given time these will also be on the property improvement list. We are inspected every nine months and any deficiencies or out dated items will be reported and will have to be addressed as per IHG Brand Standards.
As an example of this, this year we have repainted our hallways, replaced hallway carpets and re-tiled areas on guest room floors. In addition we have re-placed all case goods except for our beds in our guestrooms, repainted all walls, replaced all fixtures and renovated all bathrooms.
While we are always striving to provide our guests with a market appropriate rate we do appreciate that rates in Kamloops are higher than in some other markets, the lower mainland being one of them. We are always competitive with other comparable Kamloops properties and conduct continuous extensive surveys to ensure that we maintain rate competitiveness.
We hope that you will consider us again the next time you travel through Kamlooops. My door is always open and our whole team is working very hard to make every stay a pleasant experience.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

On check in I was immediately recognized as a platinum club member and given a room on the top floor and 2 extra (tiny) chocolates, the no children. Unfortunately there was no carpet in the halls on that floor so it made the walk-way quite bland and dreary looking. They must have just varnished or painted the doors because the next door neighbor door would not open even though the electronic key worked the door was stuck. Also, you could hear the children running a yelling on the floor below.

The room was nice enough with small fridge and microwave but poor quality, although large, TV.

I really stayed at this hotel because the breakfast bar, as at all HI Express, was good and well stocked. Although I had originally booked into the new Holiday Inn in town, it has very good reviews; I really stayed at this hotel because the breakfast bar, as at all HI Express, was good and well stocked.

There are a number of hotels and places to eat in the area.

I did notice that at least 2 cars had windows smashed that night even though the lighting in the parking area is good. The vehicle beside had large plastic bags in the back seat that should have been in the trunk or in the hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
HIEKAMLOOPS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Kamloops, responded to this review, October 21, 2010
Dear Best Chain Breakfast Bar,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us, we appreciate your feedback and are pleased that overall your visit was a positive one. We have had a delay in the delivery of our new hallway carpet but it is finally on it's way and will be arriving on the 28th! We are also happy to announce that we will be adding new hot items to our breakfast bar starting next week and hope that you will enjoy our new additions.
Sincerely
GM
Chertsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

We stayed here for just one night on a Rocky Mountaineer tour. The room was huge and had good facilities, plenty of closet space and a decent-sized bathroom.
The swimming pool opens very early and we made good use of it, watching the sun rise over the mountains whilst taking a dip. Just the two of us in the pool made for a lovely start to the day, topped off by the (completely unexpected) free breakfast buffet. No frills, but great value.
Woiuld definitely stay here again if in Kamloops.
The hotel is a fair distance from the downtown and station, but is handy for shops and several eateries.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Far Exceeded Expectations,
Thank you for your positive review. We hope your visit to BC and Canada was enjoyable and that you got to experience all that our beautiful province has to offer.
We are pleased at your appreciation of our complimentary breakfast. We hope to see you again one day in Kamloops.
GM

Been to Holiday Inn Express - Kamloops? Share your experiences!