“River's Edge Restaurant” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Abbotsford, Canada
“River's Edge Restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Known locally as Rowenas at Sandpiper Golf Course. Wonderful setting. My recent experience did not reflect well on serving staff and chefs. Perfect Friday Summer evening, August 22, 2014. 7:30 pm. reservation. Restaurant was not busy. Things started out well enough. Server recommended the Prime Rib special. I concurred. Wife ordered a house salad with a sockeye salmon fillet addition. Not much finesse or imagination to this presentation. Food arrived about 30 minutes later. Prime Rib, whipped potatoes and carrots were stone cold. Presentation was good I ate 1/3 and called it a night. My wife's salad arrived in a standard side salad bowl with a chunk of Sockeye fillet perched on top. Salad was overdressed--- a wet, limp sticky, liquify mess. Looked as it had been sitting in the cooler for some time. Tomatoes hadn't been cored properly. Piece that attached tomatoes to the stem hadn't been removed. Amateur preparation and presentation. Server took about 10 minutes to return to see if the first bite was ok. She was informed it wasn't. Asked if we wanted to send the orders back. Told her no, it was too late for that. We had now been there 45 minutes and we were closing in on 8:30 pm. I was starving and just wanted to cut our loses. Said she would let the chef know and see what she could do about adjusting our bill. Received the bill and one glass of wine had been comped. Waited for our server to return so we could pay the bill. Evident that she wanted no part of this conversation. Waited another 10 minutes. She did not approach despite the fact that she was available. Left cash on the table with a $3 gratuity, $3 more than what I would have left had I been able to get her back to the table to get change. Throughout all of this my wife and I remained polite an non-confrontational. We were there to celebrate the eve of our 40th anniversary and were not to make anyone miserable. The evening had started with such promise at such a beautiful location. Simple order, simple food, simple service executed so incompetently without so much as an apology. Won't return. Serving cold sloppy food executed with indifferent service "oh well " is a deal breaker that I won't overlook.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I made a reservation for Father's Day brunch. The setting is beautiful and we enjoyed a walk around the grounds. However, although the restaurant was only half full the service was terrible. My husband ordered an omelet and after 15 minutes of waiting we were told it was on its way. Another 15 minutes went by only to discover they had forgotten to bring it to the table and would make a new one. The new one took another 10 minutes!! I had the buffet and had to wait 7 minutes for a plate. The buffet selection was only average and the food was not very good. The only thing that saved this rating from "poor" was the beautiful scenery and lovely setting.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Fort Langley, Canada
“Perfect....AGAIN!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Our 2nd visit to Rowena's.....again....ABSOLUTE PERFECTION!! from the snow kissed mountaintops to the tasty and fresh dinner at the River's Edge - the perfect getaway for couples close to home. Nothing to complain about....only that we didn't stay 2 nights! Great rates right now too.

Visited November 2013