“If you can base it on their phone manners...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Chillwack Motor Inn

The Chillwack Motor Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chilliwack
The Chillwack Motor Inn
8120 Young Street, Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada   |
Ranked #10 of 10 hotels in Chilliwack
Vancouver, Canada
“If you can base it on their phone manners...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Trying to book an extended stay for some of my workers who have just arrived from the UK. I called to check the rates & the woman i spoke to said "we don't book by the month" and then slammed the phone down in my ear... nice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

5 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

I was in town for a wedding and figured this wouldn't be "too bad". There were cats in the lobby... The manager actually set our credit card on a sleeping cat while waiting for the machine to process. There were knife stab marks in the walls, the door didn't lock and there were dark long hairs all over our bedding and towels. DO NOT STAY HERE.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Victoria, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

My husband and I went to check in here and we were scared off pretty quickly. There was burn holes the size of toonies in the covers, dirt on the floors and an unidentifiable musty sort of smell. Unfortunately the entire complex is run down and in serious need of some TLC. We went to get our visa slip back from the office and the old lady running the place started swearing at my husband and called him a liar. Claimed that her place was clean and there was nothing wrong with it. What a joke. She said to him "How do I know you're not wanted by the police. You stepped foot in my hotel and I need to keep record of everyone who was here." Really? After walking in the room for 30 seconds and getting out as fast as we could? She crossed through the carbon copy of the visa receipt but wouldn't give it back. Thankfully she didn't charge us anything afterwards....but all around sketchy place with one angry woman!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, B.C.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

On a recent trip to the Chilliwack/Agassiz area we were traveling with our three-year-old who goes to bed early. This had me facing the task of finding a motel, hotel, or B&B room which had a separate bedroom so that the missus and I wouldn't have to also go to bed at 7:30. This mandate also directed our last summer's road trip across B.C. Apparently the success of that trip couldn't carry over to our little weekend trip to Chilliwack.

Let me make this patently clear: this motel is a nightmare. It's so bad that it is actually kind of funny. Keep reading...

Let's start by checking out the motel's web-site's blurb. I'll spare you the trouble of actually going to the two-paged web-site. Here is the pitch right off the site:

"If you ever find yourself traveling through beautiful British Columbia with a limited budget and a mood for luxurious relaxation, then we’d like you to remember us here at The Chilliwack Motor Inn, where we’re ready to welcome the weary traveler with a comfortable place to stay.

Don’t settle for overpriced hotels or run-down hostels, when you can have the benefits of affordability and comfort within one convenient location. For details about what we have to offer, we encourage you to browse through the rest of this Web site and notify us if you have any questions."

If you are in the "mood for luxurious relaxation," trust me, this is NOT the motel for you. "Run-down hostels" - now ain't that a laugh? No, instead try staying at this run-down motel. My head can hardly stop shaking at the thought of this deceptive little web-site. Let's look at what made this night's stay such a disaster:

Early Warning Signals
1) The Chillwack Motor Inn's web-site does not have photos of the actual motel. As we found out, there is good reason for this. In my experience, no photos on a motel web-site is a sure sign of a night's sleep best spent elsewhere, but hey, I was desperate.
2) The charge for the night for two adults and the little one was only $70. I'm all for a bargain, but the price here clearly reflects what you are getting. Barely. It may actually be over-priced.
3) Upon our arrival, the lobby check-in area looked like a disaster. What a mess!
4) The manager could not find the key to the unit that they had intended to put us in. She explained that they were having workers do some work and that perhaps they had the key. "Perhaps?" Any motel that doesn't keep strict control over their keys is suspect in my opinion. And as for the supposed workers, I don't know, the place didn't appear to have seen a worker in recent times.

The Room
Unable to find that key, the manager placed us in a room which, as I requested, had a separate bedroom, plus a kitchenette. Sounds good, right? Hmm... keep reading...

1) As we approached the room on the second floor, I could see that the screens on the window were quite worn, with some tears, but then who cares about a few rips, right?
2) Immediately, my partner noticed that the room smelled like cigarettes. Supposedly, the room was a non-smoking room. Apparently not.
3) The (hollow) door to the separate bedroom had a fist-sized hole on the side facing the living room. Nice, huh? But hey, "it's only one night" I kept being told. Right. I was clearly thankful for that fact.
4) It will probably not surprise you to learn that all the room's furnishings were straight out of the early seventies. Everything was worn, including the carpet which had assorted stains; that also included a stain by the bedside. We didn't even bother open up the hide-a-bed in the living room for fear of what might be in there.
5) Probably the Chilliwack Motor Inn's only saving's grace was that it's bed linen was clean. That was a huge relief: no bed bugs. Maybe the hide-a-bed's linen was fine, but then again maybe not. Ignorance is bliss.

Amenities
The hotel lists a "heated swimming pool" as one of it's amenities. You must be kidding me! Yeah, there is a pool, and technically the web-site doesn't say anything about it being a functional pool - you know, a pool with clean water in it that you can actually swim in. This pool, on the other hand, has a blue tarp covered with rain water, leaves and scum. Sure, technically, this pool IS heated. The Sun in the sky does an amazing job of heating this wretched thing. Oh yeah, I'm clearly nitpicking.

Conclusion
The Chilliwack Motor Inn describes itself as "first class accommodation at competitive rates." I don't know whose standards those reflect, but they clearly are not mine - and I suspect they are not yours. Yes, the place IS cheap, but run my friend, stay clear of this unkept relic from the past.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to The Chillwack Motor Inn? Share your experiences!