“Not a hotel for business travellers” 3 of 5 stars

Sandman Hotel Red Deer
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2818 Gaetz Avenue, Red Deer, Alberta T4R 1M4, Canada   |
Ranked #17 of 25 Hotels in Red Deer
Winnipeg, Canada
“Not a hotel for business travellers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed here one night, which was not booked by myself. It was close to where I was working and likely had a reasonable rate - which is why my company likely recommended it. The rooms are dark and the bathroom is even darker. Difficult for women to put on their makeup and I'm not that old!

The bed was comfortable, but the biggest issue was the desk. It's a table that is in middle of a small room. The coffee maker is on top of it, which means you have very little desk space. The chairs are old accent chairs that look very worn and worse for the wear. You can hardly turn them to face the table as there is not enough space! That's fine, because with the height difference between the table and chairs, it was not comfortable to work at in the least.

Staff were pleasant and courteous both at check-in and check-out.

Room Tip: If you are on business, ask if they have a room that has a real desk and chair. Rooms that end in 1...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
ManagerRedDeer, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Red Deer, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thank you for providing us with feedback, both positive and negative. It allows us to continue to strive towards the perfect guest experience, for all of our guests. We are currently undergoing renovations to better suit our guests needs. I hope once the renovations are done, you will give us another chance. In the meantime, I would highly recommend one of our corporate suites that come equipped with a large desk. Thank you for the positive comments about our guest services, I’m glad to see their hard work didn’t go unnoticed.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

The room was clean however a bit small. It is adequate for one person but would probably feel really crowded with 2. What turned me off the most was the lack of customer service at the front desk. Apparently the woman checking us in was also the manager. I think she needs to go back for some training. She did not smile once and rhymed off her usual speech in a monotone voice. And she had the same attitude with the person checking in before me and she was even worse with my colleague. Will definetely stay somewhere else if I ever have to come back to Red Deer.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel with us. We are proud winners of the AHLA Housekeeping Award and I’m glad to hear your room was cleaned to our guest’s standards. As many of our regular guests can attest, we pride ourselves on our customer service. It’s extremely disappointing to hear that you did not get to share their same experience. I will definitely be addressing your concerns with our Guest Services Manager.
Vegreville Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed here one night on a business trip. the room was small. The bathroom was clean, had the basics, shampoo, lotion. There wasn't much water pleasure and the water was luke warm at best. they did provide complimentary coffee and some fruit in the foyer of the main floor. This Hotel is attached to the Moxies restuarant which when busy eats up all the parking spots at the Hotel. The front end staff and service was very good . A little pricey for what you get. It was okay in a pinch but i would look elsewhere if you are planning to stay for more than one night. I know i will.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your stay. We pride ourselves on the customer service we give so I’m glad to hear that it didn’t go unnoticed. In regards to the parking lot filling and the room being small, I must apologize. Perhaps one of our four different suite types would have better suited your needs. As for the parking, I’m sorry that you found it busy, perhaps you didn’t see we have ample parking on all sides of the building.

I hope you give us another chance and if you do, please contact me directly as I’d be happy to provide you with a complimentary upgrade to one of our suites.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

The first room we checked into had black long and short hairs all over the bathroom floor , the rest of the room was okay. We stayed in there for a few nights, thinking we would be able to move into our new home within the next few days. During one of the nights in this room we were woken up at 3:40 AM, with a phone call from front desk - someone who apparently knew my name was wanting a key to my room. We just moved here and know nobody so we were very freaked out. I called back down to ask more about the situation, the lady was extremely rude and informed me that the person had said a different last name after she had called me. At 3:40 in the morning you really need to be sure of who you're waking up.
The next night we were brutally woken up at about 6 AM, due to the Plower in the parking lot , he was plowing for about two/three hours - during that time we went for breakfast because it was so loud that we couldn't sleep. When we came back from breakfast, the plow was still going for at least another hour.
We decided to upgrade to a bigger suit since our place wouldn't be ready for another week.
The front desk guy offered us a suit that would be more suitable for our needs , without checking the computer to see if that suit he was offering us was even available- which it wasn't.
When we checked into our new suit , there was AT LEAST 12 hairs throughout the bathroom and BED, ALONE. There was hair and ashes all over the window sills, in what is supposed to be a non smoking suit, finger prints all over the windows , like a kid had gone crazy on them- there was hairs in all of the dresser drawers. There was coffee splatter all over the cupboards in the kitchenette, crumbs from the toaster in the cupboards, HAIR AND DIRT In the CUTTLERY tray, finger prints all over the microwave, the recycling bin had not been washed at all.

When our room was serviced , the housekeeper threw our reusable blankets on the floor , I had asked her to shake them off before putting them back on the bed, because we have a cat in the room, therefor there is kitty litter on the floors and I don't want kitty litter all over my fresh bed. She was looking me right in the eyes when I was saying this to her but completely disregaurded what I had just said. The pillows were tossed on the floor as well, which she proceeded to step on them.
I received nothing but attitude from these housekeepers.
I had taken the sheets off the bed because I was rather disgusted and asked for new sheets. I overheard one of the housekeepers mutter "pffff I'm never doing their room again."

This is just off the top of my head.
Wow.
Needless to say, we will NEVER be staying here again!!!!!
Especially at 120-180 a night. Just terrible.

• Stayed January 2013
ManagerRedDeer, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Red Deer, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your stay. As discussed in person, we always appreciate feedback from our guests and I’m disappointed to hear that your stay was less than ideal.

Again, I would like to apologize on behalf of our team for any issues you encountered during your stay. I am disappointed to hear of the housekeeping concerns but glad to see that we were able to have them rectified immediately. We take cleanliness very seriously, indicative of winning the Alberta Hotel Associations Annual Housekeeping Award for the past 9 of 11 years including 2012 and 2013. I do apologize that you were disturbed during the evening but pleased to see that the front desk did follow proper protocol by calling you to verify, as the visitor was adamant that they speak with you. I’m also pleased to see that we were able to accommodate your request to move you and your cat into a pet friendly suite. As for the outside contractor that looks after the snow removal, we have advised them to be cognizant of the time they conduct the snow removal, all the while without compromising our guest’s safety.

Once again, our apologies and we look forward to your continued stay with us until you find a home in our area.
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed here for a soccer tournament - expensive room @ $149/night ("junior corporate suite", which basically meant a regular sized hotel room with a double bed, a pull-out couch and a microwave on top of a fridge...I guess it was the microwave on top of the fridge that suddenly made it a "suite"....I guess). Not particularly clean, very noisy, and when (after a couple of polite requests to the people in the hall to please quiet down) at 10:30 pm I called to see if the staff could do something about all the noise in the hall, was told "there wasn't anyone here to deal with that right now". The pool is very small, so not particularly useful for swimming if there are more than two families using it at a time.
The Moxie's was good...but you don't need to stay here for that. We won't repeat the experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
fort mcmurray
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stopped of late. Good price. Moxies attached. Which was great . Rooms are clean and tidy if basic but for money being asked what can you expect. Ideal stop off.......................................................

• Stayed December 2012
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed on the corporate floor of this hotel and it was okay. The room had a small living room (couch and chair) and a flat screen TV in the middle it had a sink, microwave and coffee maker and in the bedroom it also had a TV but not a flat screen which seemed odd. Most people like to watch TV in bed so maybe they should switch them around. I found the room very hot and hard to cool down. The evening check-in clerk was nice but the morning check-out girl not very friendly. The price was okay but I think they need to do some renovations - if they call it a corporate floor - the rooms should reflect a corporate travelers surroundings. I must say the room was very quite.

Room Tip: Rooms on the corporate floor very quite.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sandman Hotel Red Deer? Share your experiences!