“alright” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 27 Hotels in Red Deer
Sherwood Park, Canada
“alright”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

our room was clean (vacuumed) but had stains on the wall paper in the bathroom, a window without a screen that didn't close all the way, the pool area is small and noisy. Front end staff are nice. Attached to a Moxie's which is nice. Just down the street from the mall

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Fort McMurray, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

Sandman hotel had it's highs and its lows. My room was clean, comfortable and relaxing. However my coffee maker didn't work which is always sad :( Did have a chance to use the pool/hottub but sadly 2 maintenance men found this a great time to bleach the floors and etc. I'm sure at some time they must disturb guests when doing this, however I'm sure 10 in the morning is not ideal. Also the hot tub was lukewarm and the pool was freezing! However, front desk staff was fantastic and the Moxies room service was welcome. Would definately stay again if I was able to secure the same price.

Room Tip: Ask for Lora at front desk, she was fantastic!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

I stayed at this hotel about three years ago when in town on business; either my tastes have changed or my memory fails me as I recalled it being a fairly nice property. Checking in and out, the front desk was having some type of computer/credit processing issues - really? How about getting out the clunky, old school credit machine (the one that you swipe the handle back and forth and make an honest to goodness improint of my card with?) and get things moving. Don't have one? Get one! Modern techology fails, and quite honestly, I'm tired of businesses being unable to problem-solve when that occurs.

The corridors are nice but the rooms are just plain tired. The sound on the TV in my room was ridiculous - all scratchy static, nothing really audible, which was disappointing as it was a nice TV and I wanted to use my rare night "off" to just kick back and mindlessly channel surf. The remote for the heating/cooling system was disgusting - filthy and even moldy in the crevices around the buttons - gross. I do appreciate, however, that the bathroom was very clean. The pillows stink; they feel like the ones filled with that garbage chip foam. Bring your own.

I called the reservation line for this hotel and was appalled; I was told I would have to pay up front (several weeks in advance) for the hotel room to get the same rate being shown on Expeida (NOT a better, pay in advance type of rate!). I questioned the reservation agent three times before saying that is ridiculous and I'm not paying. I do not pay up front for business travel, especially when making multiple room bookings for several people. I called the hotel direct and got a rate which was $30 less and for which I did not have to pay on the spot.

I'm batting 0 for 3 at hotels in Red Deer this year. Other members attending the same meeting stayed at the Hampton out on Gasoline Alley; while the location isn't as convenient, they said the rooms were fantastic and a full $25 less than I paid at the Sandman. If you have a vehicle, it might be worthy checking out. I know I will be when I go back next month.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

This is a clean, quiet, reasonably priced small hotel that is connected to a Moxie's restaurant and in the centre of lots of reastaurants and shopping. Very good for families or business. We were there for a romantic get-away, and it was awesome for that too. The pool is small and cold, but the hot tub is large, deep and hot. The staff were very helpful and pleasant. Nothing bad to say-but of course it wasn't the Banff Springs.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

The only nice thing I can say about this property is it has a Moxie's in it. The hotel is a tired dump. I felt unclean when I stayed there, which was (thankfully) just one night. The rooms are glum, the staff is slow (perhaps understaffed, but that's not my concern). I sense no pride in property or customer service. Their only advantage is that Red Deer is not a bustling metropolis; hence, not a ton of competition.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Prince George
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

It's been a couple of years since I've been here. It hasn't really changed. The room I had was nice. The hallways are are well maintained. The staff, well almost seems preoccupied in thought as they are talking with you. The Sandman looks like Langley's Sandman but it's not. The staff in my opinion shouldn't be outside on their break leaning against the column by the front doors smoking & texting. This hotel is not bad. Maybe it reflex the management.
There is a Moxies on site and a Denny's almost on sight. Sure, I'll be back. Not bad Sandman Red Deer.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Calgary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

We were booked in for two nights for a lacrosse tournament. We had a junior corporate suite. The room was adequate but we had 4 people in the room (not a ridiculous number) and 3 pillows. When we called down to the front desk we were told they were out of pillows. I said but we have four people and three pillows, this is unacceptable. The front desk's response was "that's all we have". Very young, inexperienced night staff that had NO customer service skills. After I wake up tomorrow with a stiff neck due to no pillow, I will be checking out, checking in at a hotel with sufficient numbers of pillows.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sandman Hotel Red Deer? Share your experiences!