“Pleasant Visit! Strange Anomalies!” 4 of 5 stars

Red Deer Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4311 49th Avenue, Red Deer, Alberta T4N 5Y7, Canada   |
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Red Deer
Red Deer, Canada
“Pleasant Visit! Strange Anomalies!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Stated at Red Deer Lodge for a single night over the holidays. Upon checking, we were asked if we were superstitious. Thinking nothing of it, we said no. As it turns out, we were given room 666. The room was clean and warm and the bathroom was pleasant upon initial inspection.

However, upon settling in we began to experience strange anomalies. It began with the sound of children's laughter emanating from the closet. First off, we don't have children. Secondly, there were definitely no children in the closet or the hallway. Curious.

We decided to take a shower and were a little alarmed when blood began to spout from the showerhead. I called over my partner but by the time he got there it has stopped. Figured it must have just been my imagination.

Was intrigued that the towels were folded into scenes from Paradise Lost, and almost didn't want to use them. Also, towels were nice and big.

During the night heard a strange scratching coming from behind the bathroom mirror. When we went to examine it we were shocked to see the image of a ghostly woman screaming at us silently in the mirror. As she began to crawl out towards us we lost consciousness.

At some point we were returned to our beds and serenaded for the rest of the night by the sounds of multiple children crying and ravens.

All in all a fairly uneventful seat. Highly recommend both the lounge and the tasty free breakfast buffet. The Lodge has excellent food and friendly service, although would not take 666 again unless room is cleansed of evil spirits.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin R, General Manager at Red Deer Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
KSawisky,

Thank you for taking time to submit your feedback and observations on your stay at the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. I am glad to see you enjoyed your breakfast buffet in Botanica the next morning. We realize there are several choices of Hotels in Red Deer and appreciate you selecting us. We look forward to serving you again on your next trip to the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Prince Albert, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I stayed here 3 nights for work recently. The hotel is in a good location for shopping & has several restaurants close by. The rooms are a decent size. The desk area was a little cramped & the internet was pretty slow but functional. The room was basically clean but you could see it needed a proper thorough cleaning ie: vacuuming behind nightstand & under table, scrubbing down tub, shampooing carpets. Decor is dated but in a good state of repair. All the staff were very helpful & friendly. Overall decent place for the price. Nice to have a restaurant & lounge on site.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Kevin R, General Manager at Red Deer Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
jacqjanzen,

Thank you for your comments on your visit to the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. I will be sharing your observations on the guest room with our Director of Rooms to ensure our deep cleaning processes our being followed diligently by the Housekeeping department. We appreciate you selecting the Red Deer Lodge Hotel as your home away from home and look forward to serving you again on your next trip to our area.
Sherwood Park, Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

The high point of our business visit to this hotel was the attitude and attentiveness of the front desk staff. They were genuinely friendly and accommodating, and that is harder to find all the time.

The rooms are dated, but clean and the beds comfortable. We overnighted for an industry meeting the next day, and this hotel delivered exactly as expected, no more, no less.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Kevin R, General Manager at Red Deer Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Pyke88,

Thank you for your comments regarding your trip to the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. The Front Desk team makes every effort to make our guests feel welcome and at home during their stay. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again in the near future.
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Initially when I checked in the front desk staff were friendly and did a good job with engagement. However once I was in my room the heat was so high I was uncomfortable so I turned it off, anticipating that perhaps the heat was just on high and left on for an extended period. When I returned it was still the same temperature ( although now turned off) and I was so hot I was literally sweating. The heating was clearly broken. I confronted front desk and they accommodated a move quickly. That being said I had been driving since 5 am and just wanted to go to bed but instead I had to pack up my room and move. It was a major inconvenience. Once I was settled and unpacked in my new room the heating registrar was so loud every time it kicked I was unable to sleep. It was so loud in fact that I recorded the sound it in anticipation of showing front desk in the morning.
As for dinner I was seated in the restaurant for 10 + minutes before I had gotten up to leave and than finally was I noticed. I ordered my dinner and the waiter was kind and did apologize. I asked for my food to go. A few minutes later the waiter came back and advised that they did not have to go containers but would pack up my food (a burger) in an “unconventional" container. My food arrived after 20- 25 minutes in a pizza box? Which had obviously flattened out? The prime rib burger was so over cooked and the bun, older and stale that I did not finish my dinner and went to bed hungry. I was also not provided with napkins or to go cutlery.
The gym was rather nice, though small the machines were kept up well which was nice. I was unimpressed with the cleanliness of the pool as it was filthy and I could literally feel the dirt in the pool underneath me feet.
My room was equipped with two double beds, thank goodness as the first sheets were dirty and I had found pistachio shells inside the bedding on the sheets.

Overall I was very disappointed with my stay and would not return and will not be recommending this hotel to anyone. It is obvious that several of the staff in this hotel are cutting corners and it is apparent in the overall ambiance. I was also be posting a review online to advise others of my stay.

The only positives were the attitude of the check in/ reservation staff

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Kevin R, General Manager at Red Deer Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Krissy P,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. It is with the assistance of our guests, we are able to assess our opportunities to improve our processes and guest experiences. I must apologize for the poor dining experience you encountered while staying with us. I have shared your feedback with our outlet Manager and Food & Beverage Manager to be used as a training opportunity for the service team. I have also been in communication with the Director of Rooms to discuss the feedback on the condition of the guest room. We appreciate you choosing the Red Deer Lodge Hotel and would love the opportunity serve you again when travelling to the Red Deer area.
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Great place, friendly, great with pets, separate tower for people without dogs. Great place for entertainment and nice pool! Always stay here when we are in Red Deer! Stayed here many times and have never been disappointed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin R, General Manager at Red Deer Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Gryde,

Thank you for your feedback on your latest visit to the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. I am glad to see your trip was more enjoyable by having your pet stay with you. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.
Missoula, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We checked in on Oct 31st - beautiful sunny day as was the next day, Nov 1st. We were in Red Deer for dog shows. The Red Deer Lodge Hotel was the sponsor hotel for the dog show and welcomed the dog show exhibitors. The Red Deer Curling Classic was also the same weekend and the hotel was filled with curling teams from all over. A couple of hockey teams were there as well. It was fun spending time at a hotel bursting with guests in town doing things that they are passionate about.

But it started to pound snow on Saturday, Nov 2nd. The hotel is older, but well-kept - spacious rooms, great amenities, restaurant. As the snow kept coming down, we felt very cozy there knowing we had everything we needed.

I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Kevin R, General Manager at Red Deer Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
LeavinMsla,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments regarding your great experience at the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. I am happy to see your trip to Red Deer was enjoyable and provided you the opportunity to witness winter arrive with enthusiasm during the weekend. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you and look forward to seeing you in April at the next dog show in Red Deer.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

No complaints. Didn't stay for 12 hours, just went to sleep and ate breakfast and left. Would recommend though! Rooms were fine beds were comfy. Nice that breakfast was included. Didn't have a chance to check out the pool or even have a shower, but check in desk was friendly and checkout was efficient (no checkout required). Would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013
Kevin R, General Manager at Red Deer Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Cutiepatootie,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments regarding your experience with the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. I encourage you to return when you have more time to experience what we have to offer. We appreciate your business and await your return to our City.

Been to Red Deer Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!