“Awesome Hotel!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Red Deer
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Awesome Hotel!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

This place was FANTASTIC!!! Stayed for 2 nights and I honestly cannot remember the last time I had a good sleep like that. I have worked in the hotel industry and can usually pick out every small thing a hotel is doing wrong. I COULD NOT FIND ONE HERE!!!! :) Check in was very fast and the agent at the counter was very friendly. After getting the keys I walked through the courtyard to my room and WOW!! The courtyard was beautiful and had a very well maintained pool in the middle. The tropical atmosphere was very nice and I think other hotels should take a hint from this place!! The room I stayed in was a bit small, but very clean and a very nice bathroom. It is nice to see places actually do proper renovations to the rooms and not a band-aid fix. I would absolutely love to try out a suite at this place as I am sure they would be amazing. The on site restaurant had very good food especially the breakfast buffet. Not a huge selection but it is a good thing, they have all the basics (eggs, hashbrows, bacon, sausage) and they are very well cooked and kept fresh!! Every employee greeted me with a smile and hello and they all seemed happy to be working there, which is an extremely nice change. I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to any traveller heading to Red Deer as it caters to everyone and is excellently maintained. Keep up the good work and hope to stay again in the future.

Room Tip: Even the most basic room was awesome, I would recommend them all.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Kevin R, General Manager at Red Deer Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Andy S.,
I want to thank you for taking time to share your comments on the latest visit at the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. It is a great to share all guest comments with the team as we receive them. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I have stayed once before for an extended period of time while on business. Both experiences have been great. The staff are very pleasant, always saying hi to you when your in the hotel and restaurant. The restaurant has very good meals and the service is the very outstanding. My only complaint is the poor wifi in the court yard rooms that prompted me to call the desk more than once to get assistance in improving it. However it wasn't until my last day that I had good reception. I have a difficult time with explanation that there were too many people utilizing the wifi in the evening. I have stayed in the older tower, the reception for the wifi was acceptable. I couldn't even use the direct cable, for local network connection to my computer, as it was broken as well. When one is away for an extended period of time on business, it is frustrating when your trying to have conference calls and your internet service is poor. It is my opinion that more routers should be utilized to improve this service. Thank you. Charlene N.

Room Tip: I would stay in the garden court suites as they are renovated, updated and don't have pets stayi...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Kevin R, General Manager at Red Deer Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Charnaw,

I want to thank you for taking time to share your experience and comments regarding your most recent stay with the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. I will pass on your compliments to the service team of Botanica and the Kitchen. They love to hear how our guests enjoyed their visit with us. I apologize for the interuption in connection you encountered with our internet service. I will consult with our IT Department to review our system and ensure it is properly functioning. I will also connect with our service agents at the Front Desk to review our process to assist our guests as it relates to the internet provider services.
We look forward to serving you again.
Devon, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

The pool side room is a great idea - until a hockey team of 12 year holds stay here! Very noisy with them in the pool area yelling constantly and echoing through the whole place, parents took all the benches and had their own party while their kids tore the pool apart - our kids couldn't even use the pool. No one was supervised, no one from the Lodge monitored anything. Things finally wound down by 11:30 pm after calling to complain. They were out again at 9 AM the next morning - wrecked our stay!

TV really should have been thrown out years ago...couldn't use it.

The room was clean enough - except for a few ants in the bathroom...that can happen this time of year.

Breakfast is too expensive to even consider for a family of four so go to Phil's across the street.

It was okay - others ruined our stay...overall it was just okay nd too expensive for what it is.

Room Tip: Stay away from poolside rooms if you want quiet!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Kevin R, General Manager at Red Deer Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Dale H,

Thank you for your comments concerning your most recent stay at the Red Deer Lodge. It is unfortunate that you and your family were not able to enjoy our courtyard/pool area experience as anticipated. I appreciate your suggestions on how we can improve our amenities in our Hotel as it relates to the style of televisions we currently have in our rooms and our menu selection in Botanica Restaurant. Thank you again for choosing the Red Deer Lodge Hotel and look forward to the opportunity to have you visit again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

Walked in off the street to book a room. I'd just come off an unfortunately extended trip thanks to Air Canada pilots not showing up for work, and was looking forward to catching up on my sleep. I stayed in a tower room. I chose not to have a renovated room, but I wasn't disappointed. The king size bed was really comfortable, with a wonderful duvet and great pillows. The only thing that gave away the age of the place was the bathtub and the air conditioner. The air conditioner is literally the scariest thing I have ever heard in my entire life. It is loud and terrifying, like a monster. It woke me up at 3 am, and kept making noise every 15 minutes. I finally clued in and shut it off and slept like a baby the rest of the night.

The pool is in the middle of the atrium on the main floor, and the restaurant and inside hallways overlook it. There is nothing between you and the restaurant aside from a wrought-iron fence and a few plants. I felt a little bit on display, but got over it. The hot tub, as previously mentioned, is not your standard hot tub. It's a tiled square, filled with water to about chest height. There are no chairs, and there are maybe 4 jets. It was disappointing, but I found the edge of the tub was coated and made a nice neck rest.

All in all, surprisingly comparable to the Fairmont Air Canada had put me up in the night before. Of course, since I paid the same price to stay at the red Deer lodge that Air Canada paid for me to stay at the Fairmont, I would have liked to have a place to sit in the hot tub. Very friendly staff, right across from a Safeway if you're unimpressed with the restaurant, room came with mini fridge and microwave.

CasualVegetarian,
Thank you for your comments concerning your latest stay at the Red Deer Lodge. I apologize for the heating/cooling system disturbing your rest. I am glad that you experienced many of our amenities during your initial stay with our property and we appreciate your suggestions on improving our guest experience while at the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. We look forward to serving you again.
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

I arrived in the middle of a terrible snowstorm. Staff must of noticed my shell-shocked look and upgraded me to a junior suite. Vice nice room with separate bedroom. Very, very clean and comfortable. The thermostats actually worked!
All staff very nice and friendly.
Disappointed with buffet breakfast. I have had far better free buffet breakfast at other hotels than this one was for $15. Very poor selection. Teeny tiny yogurts meant to classy (?) but were just very annoyingly hard to eat. Poor fruit and muffin selection.

Room Tip: My junior suite was near the pool. Since hotel was nearly empty due to the storm, it was quite but i...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Kevin R, General Manager at Red Deer Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
PPLJudy, Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Red Deer Lodge. I am glad that our Associates were able to make your evening more pleasant than the weather we were encountering at the time. I apologize that our breakfast buffet did not have the offerings that you were anticipating. I will share your comments with the Culinary Team as we value our guests comments and strive to improve on what our Guests tell us.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

I have been going to this place two weeks every year whit 4 persons from work for the last 4 years....Im telling you, that place is on a downslope....last year, the roof collapsed from having too much snow on it....1 week after I left.....they used to have free a la carte breakfast included in the government rate and now I only an horrible buffet.....the rooms need to be renovated, its getting really old, bathtubs are cracked and chipped, no flat screen tv and the slowest wireless internet ever...they even supply a cable to plug in....the hot tub is not even having seats, no so good to relax....Last year they closed the sport bar that was in the lobby....now its only the ''lounge'' It feels like having a drink in the middle of a strip mall....last but not least, the waitress forgot she already took the coupons for the breakfast and started to argue with us....we finally gave our coupons for the next day to get her to shut up...anyway, that buffet was horrible....so next time, will probably consider the holyday inn express instead....

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
red deer
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

The staff was very friendly and helpful. Good clean rooms

Room Tip: The tower rooms are nice and quiet and comfortable
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Red Deer Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!