“Great room but noisy” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 25 hotels in Red Deer
Medicine Hat
“Great room but noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

The room was very nicely refurbished and very well done but the transferred a lot of noise. Maybe different doors and a better seal would help. I slept well with earplugs but its a shame that a nice room was this noisy. Close to being a great stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Gil V, General Manager at Sheraton Red Deer Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for your review.
We have received a number of comments about noise recently; our executive team has formed a taskforce to minimize noise pollution in and around our hotel.
We truly appreciate your feedback and value your suggestions on noise reduction.
Rest assured we are working to ensure our hotel is a restful place to visit.
I am confident that you will see improvements upon your next visit.

232 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This hotel use to be called the capri centre before Sheraton took over. Same amenities as a typical sheraton but definately a category 2 scale instead of 3. The whole building was freezing and the heating went on every two minutes in the room blowing cold air along with dust particles. Not a good place for people with allergies. The gym and food is not bad. The front desk was friendly although im pretty sure they keep tabs on you. Left the room for 1 hour at 8pm and someone came into our room to clean it since it wasnt done during the day. Though all they did was make the bed, no refresh of supplies (towels, soap, garbage still left in room). Not great for a Sheraton, oh and didnt get my points either.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Gil V, General Manager at Sheraton Red Deer Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for your review.
I would firstly like to apologize that your recent visit did not meet your expectations.
Thanks to your review we recently discovered some mechanical issues with the operation of our heating and cooling system which have now been fixed. These issues would have made the lobby and public areas of our hotel cooler than normal.
As we continue to modernize and update our property we are working hard to control the dust and asking our housekeepers to do extra work with regards to dust control.
On the housekeeping topic, we do not monitor our guests’ activities; it does seem coincidental that a service attempt was made while you stepped out. The cleaning routine you received is not standard; we are looking into why your room was not fully cleaned and will take corrective action to ensure rooms are being cleaned as per Starwood Standards.
We want to ensure that you receive your points as one of benefits of being a Starwood Preferred Guest. Sometimes points can take up to 2 weeks to appear in your account, if two weeks after your stay I encourage you to reach out to our Director of Rooms to receive the points.
Once again, I want to remind you that the service provided during your recent visit does not meet our standards which we are sincerely sorry for. We hope that you give us another opportunity and stay with us on your next visit to Red Deer.
Lloydminster, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

this hotel is all renovated and is very nice and new, Beds were comfortable but we found the hotel quite noisy as there is a bar attached to it and it seems to be a young person hang out. And the room was a little on the cold side as we could not figure out how to use the thermostat. Staff was very friendly but didnt seem to care when we mentioned it was loud.

Room Tip: if you are going to stay here please request an upper floor away from the bar and the bar parking lo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed on a saturday. It was my year end party for work and we thought it would be a nice opportunity to spend a nice night together without the children.

We recieved our room keys walked to our room and the keys wouldnt work. We dropped our stuff outside the door and I waited while my partner went to get the keys fixed. Meanwhile right across from our room some workers were cleaning a room. A gentleman came down te hall and asked if I needed in the room. I said yes, he went into the other room and asked a lady if she could let me in. She replied by saying no they are not allowed to. I then proceeded to listen to them discuss whether or not they are allowed to let guests in. When my partner returned they had given us a different room down the hall. I had to load everything back up and head to the new room. It was already a very aggravating experience.

The room itself was nice and clean. However after my party we headed back to the room. The room backed onto a back alley. It was so noisy from the back alley until all hours of the night that neither one of us could sleep. I was not very happy as the previous room assigned to us was on the other side of the hall. I couldn't believe that this room was the same price as any other room in the hotel yet the noise was unbearable. We had to sleep with the T.V on all night just to drown out the noise of drunken people all night.

The next day while checking out I was waiting for the hotel representative to ask how my stay was so I could tell him about the noise, however no such questions were asked. I have stayed at the Sheraton before and have been very please, however after this I don't want to return. I could have had no sleep at home!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here for a girls weekend. Very nice rooms. Beds are sooooo comfy we didn't want to get up. The service was awesome!!! We ordered room service one morning, and it was delicious and fast. I would say the only negative was that there is a club right under the rooms. I was kept awake is Sat night, do to the noise of people outside of club under our windows. Other then that it was perfect. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Spent one night here while in town for a wedding. It looks as though they have done several recent renovations. The rooms were tactfully done and were quite comfortable. Our son particularly liked the closet doors. We had a nice view from our room on the 11th floor. There is a popular night club next to the hotel and it was difficult to find a parking spot when we returned. I would imagine that you could get more noise from the club if you have a lower level floor, but we didn't hear any from our room. Although we didn't get to experience it, the lobby lounge looked quite nice, I only interacted with the staff once, when we needed a bandaid, but they were quite helpful with my request. I wouldn't hesitate to stay if I'm back that way

Room Tip: Get far away from the night club side on weekends
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Gil V, General Manager at Sheraton Red Deer Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you very much for your recent review of our property.
We take great pride in our new renovations and are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your next visit to Sheraton Red Deer Hotel and showing off even more of our new renovations. Next on the list are renovations to our Lobby Lounge and updating the tile floor on the concourse level of our hotel. We know that you have a choice in hotels and truly value your business. Thank You.
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this property in May. Their computer system had crash when we were checking in so they had to use the old school credit card imprinters. We were a little worried but they assured us that it would be kept in a safe. The front desk was very helpful and did apologize about the system being down. There is lots of parking if you drive behind the hotel. The room was nice, good size and clean. The pool area was nice and it was outside. There are rooms that surround the pool if you are travelling with a family and want to be closer to the pool those would be nice. If you are travelling and don't want to be close to the pool, request a room on a higher floor. They had a really nice breakfast buffet in a restaurant on the main floor, you can also order from a menu if you don't want the buffet. There was a nice looking restaurant/lobby bar with a piano player. Overall it was a really nice stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton Red Deer Hotel? Share your experiences!