“Good hotel, well located” 4 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Red Deer
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Moseley
“Good hotel, well located”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

I have been staying at Holiday Inn Express Red Deer for almost a year now, checking out and in every other week. The staff is courteous and friendly. However, as a Platinum Priority Club Rewards member, I do not receive, in this hotel, the attentions and privileges that other hotels in the InterContinental Hotels Group grant me upon arrival and during my stay.. Breakfast is good and tasty, but trays are not always clean. Cleaness of room is not inconsistent. The rate is good and it is well located.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
FouldsM, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Red Deer, responded to this review, April 21, 2009
Thank you for your recent correspondence. We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your great experiences here at the Holiday Inn Express Red Deer.

We are very happy that our loyal guests acknowledge us in such a positive way. We definately value your opinion and hope that your future stays with us are as memorable.

In regards to Platinum membership rewards and benefits, we are looking at ways to improve in this area and definately take your comments seriously. As a small hotel we are not able to offer upgrades as often and will continue to try other ways to make you feel valued.

Your comments are definately going to be shared with our entire staff and we look forward to providing you more enjoyable stays in the future.

Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

To Whom it May Concern:
I have stayed @ this hotel scores of times over many years. Have had a staff of 20 stay there many times. I have found front desk service both on phone and in person - excellent. Hotel in a very convenient location in Red Deer. Stay @ this hotel so many times because of good rates. Now the rates are out-of-site for the Hotel Size / Quality / Vibe. Many years no elevator / no breakfast / no Priority Club - still stayed. Now an elevator, supposed to be free breakfast / free internet - that is now very misleading. You have stopped charging individual rates for each and put it in one price. I feel like I am paying for my Priority Club privileges as well.
The breakfast is always sub-par. This past stay I could observe the Swimming Pool from second floor window - very dirty- would never swim. Breakfast area is so crowded It looks like cattle at a stall. This stay I had three rooms - over $600. spent
Recommendations:
1. make breakfast & internet optional and remove them from the Nightly Room price.
2. Priority Club Gold / Platinum members -lower room rates for each stay
3. Sell 'Old Style' 'Old Vibe' HI Express to a competitor and move north two lots and build a new HIExpress like in Drayton Valley,AB on that site.
4. If not sell, renovate each bathroom as they are so small and expand the front foyer and breakfast eating area.
5. The Holiday Inn on 67th Street, Red Deer many times has lower rates than you. This I do not understand. Your rates should always be 15-20% lower than this hotel. This hotel offers both Free Breakfast & a restaurant.
6. It seems to me as a customer that someone is being driven by greed in this organization or franchise - or seeking to take advantage of Alberta's boom. Is anyone aware that there is a 'slow down' - shouldn't that affect the rates.
7. This weekend the rates are the highest I've seen so this weekend & next I am not staying @ a Holiday Inn but rather a viable competitor on 50th - it is $50 / night cheaper with taxes included per King Room with Complimentary Breakfast and Internet.
8. Love Holiday Inns and stay @ them around the world but unwilling to pay your prices.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent communication. Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

I just want to mention that we are able to negotiate with large companies, travellers that have extended stays or large groups and will be more then happy to discuss that with you directly.

The Holiday Inn Express Red Deer, being a franchise, needs to abide by certain standards, such as what to offer for breakfast and having wireless internet available etc, and there are policies and procedures that are put forth to us in regards to these amenities.

We recently have had major maintenance on our pool as well as have a pool maintenance contractor coming in daily which ensure that cleanliness and levels are well within standards.

I have tried to touch on some of the suggestions you have had that are in our control.

If you would like to discuss the above issues, please feel free to call me directly. It is guests such as yourself who take the time to tell us how to improve our amenities and services that allow us to be better at what we do.

Once again, we appreciate your time and we look forward for the opportunity to serve you in the future.

403-343-2112
Red Deer
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

I have been staying at this hotel for 4 years and its the only hotel that I stay at in Red Deer. They know me by name and I get the same room all the time which I like. Not many hotels run better then this.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent comments regarding your experience here at the Holiday Inn Express, Red Deer. It means a lot when a guest takes the time to let us know how happy they are with our service.

As a hotel, it is important that the people who stay with us are happy and feel taken care of. Our front desk staff often look forward to seeing our regulars and strive to provide them with the best of service.

We look forward to being able to serve you in the future.

Again, thank you for your kind words.

Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

I stay @ this hotel every month, that is when I book ahead and get a room. It is advisable to book in advance because Red Deer is a popular place for conferences and the good places often get booked quickly when there are planned events in town.
Staff is friendly & knowledgeable. There are fresh baked cookies waiting for me on arrival (later afternoon). The fitness room could be upgraded, hasn't change in yrs & is small, but serves the purpose. If you're in to pool & slide the families seem to love it but I'm on biz so stay away from that area. Breakfast in the mornings is incredible and the lady who keeps it all together & full is great !
I find HIExp very consistant as a whole, and this property is no different - a pleasure to stay at !

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review! We look forward to having you here again, and maybe next time you will have some minutes to enjoy the pool or hot tub.

It is refreshing to hear comments like yours and I am happy that we are able to provide you with the service you deserve.

Take care and we'll see you again soon.

Calgary, Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

I have always been treated well by staff, rooms are always clean and updated, breakfasts are always plentiful and tasty....I travel extensively and typically stay at Holiday in Express Hotels, I find Red Deers location to one of my favorites as staff is always friendly and helpful when booking rooms and during check in. In most cases they know me by name when I call and treat me like a valued customer.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your comments. It is great to hear that you enjoy our hotel and continue to stay with us.

We very much appreciate the time guests like you take to do these surveys, as we review the comments reguarly and continuously strive to improve our product and service.

We will also pass on these great comments to our staff , as it is nice to be able to tell them they are doing a good job.

Calgary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

Spent Christmas dinner with family in town. Came back early to swim and swim area was dark with equipment around and no water. Went to front desk and was told that pool wouldn't be available till the 31st as I was told when I made reservations. I replied that I wasn't told and the assistant manager says it is marked here that you were notified. I said I wasn't and she said again it says here that you were. She also said that I should have also been given a slip of paper when I registered to say it was closed - I wasn't and she is the one I registered with. She said that I was given a discount because of that - we stayed there the previous year and it cost much more this year. Also, a large sign in front stated "Waterslide is open". Even if it was open, the little kiddie slide doesn't deserve to be called waterslide. I said that my daughter was disappointed that we couldn't swim and was told she could use the fitness room instead as it was open.
The breakfast was an experience as well. The bread was as hard as toast without being toasted. The biscuits crumbled to dust when you tried to cut them and the cinnamon buns would dent the wall if you threw them at it.
Next time, we will stay somewhere else that will cost less and be a better value.

• Liked — Convenient location
  • Disliked — Swimming area closed without being notified
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

Spent the weekend at this hotel with my sister and two nieces - a "girls' weekend" and we were treated very nicely.
The rooms were spotless and the beds very comfy. The only flaw was the plug in one of the tubs kind of stuck shut, but one of my nieces managed to unscrew it and all was well.
There is a breakfast included and on Sunday there is hot food in addition to the lovely variety of bagels, cinnamon rolls and toast. There is a variety of cereal, juices and everything was kept well stocked and tidy.
We had a lovely visit with each other and the ambience of the hotel only made it better.

• Liked — the rooms were very clean and comfortable
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
HolidayInnExpressGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Red Deer, responded to this review, October 22, 2008
Thank you for your recent correspondence. We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay.

We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgement of such a positive nature. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognized our staff’s efforts and takes the time to say thank you. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make the Holiday Inn Express Red Deer a leader in excellence.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving your in the future. Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Red Deer.

Shazma Charania
GM

Been to Holiday Inn Express Red Deer? Share your experiences!