“Impressive first visit!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Coast Hotel Medicine Hat

You added Coast Hotel Medicine Hat to your Saves list
Coast Hotel Medicine Hat
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3216 13th Ave SE, Medicine Hat, Alberta T1B 1H8, Canada   |
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Medicine Hat
Sherwood Park
“Impressive first visit!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I am often through "The Hat" and I have a regular hotel that I have visited over the years. I had not called ahead for a reservation but, as I was driving past this hotel, I was drawn in by their proud proclamation on their sign out front, "2014 Housekeeping Award". I swung into the parking lot and as I entered the lobby, I was greeted by two very friendly front desk staff. This property is very serious about smoking. I have never been a smoker so I didn't mind signing a separate form at check in, stating that I agree to pay a $200.00 surcharge if I smoked in my room. No big deal other than I also faced a 9" x 12" sign in my room stating that, "Smoking on the premises will result in immediate cancellation of a guest's room!" And let's not forget that $200.00 fine. No big deal for me but, smokers beware. I really do not have a negative other than perhaps to point out that the curtains are made out of diaphanous material and if you are sleeper that requires darkness to slumber, this may be a drawback on the longest day of the year when it stays light until 10:45pm. The hallways reminded me of my grandmother's house, that slight hint of bleach combined with the smell of age that comes from an older property. The room was definitely clean. The bed had just the right amount of firmness and was replete with four very large pillows, perfect for sitting up in bed and finishing paper work. I slept like a baby. The rate was $30.00 below my usual hotel and that was without using the Coast loyalty card. The continental breakfast is a moderate affair with various pastry items each wrapped individually. For my stay there was no fresh fruit available. I will visit them again when I am next through Medicine Hat.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We checked into our room late Saturday evening. The first thing we saw was a hotel staff member walking across the lobby in bare feet. I thought he was a lifeguard--but the hotel doesn't have a pool. Guests from a wedding party were smoking, drinking, and fighting in the parking lot. My husband who is in law enforcement found this to be a very uncomfortable situation. The room was clean, and you can tell that they are trying to make this a nice hotel. We stayed in a room right next to two double doors that opened and closed early into the morning. The hotel did quiet down though around 12:30 am. We had booked the government rate of $109.00 for a double room. At checkout we were charged $129.00, and told that was the government rate. It is clean but not quite worth $149.00 a night. Guests should also be aware that it is next to a nightclub, although our issue seemed to be with obnoxious wedding guests and not the nightclub patrons.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Vanderhoof, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We had our two labrador retrievers with us when we stayed overnight in Medicine. They charged a $10 fee for the room to have pets and the front desk staff were very welcoming. Beds were comfortable.The continental breakfast included yogurt and a fruit salad, plus french toast that you could heat up in the toaster. There was noise in the hall at about 2 am by some people that didn't seem to understand what time it was, but other than that, we slept well.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

We stayed at this location from Apr 18-20,2014 during a visit to relatives and have stayed there during each visit and will continue to do so. The hospitality and service of the front desk staff is #1. When we booked in we had problems with the heat in the room as well as the cleaning carried out by the cleaning staff the next day ie: dirty coffee cups and wine glasses, no coffee and towels not disposed of. We discussed this with the fromt desk clerk who advised this staff member was new and she would bring it to the attention of her boss and in the meantime moved us from a normal room to a jacuzzi suite at no added cost. In addition my wife had lost a ring that was precious to her and was uncertain if took it on the trip or not and when we returned home a call was waitting for us that it had been found and they would send it to us. My hat off to the front desk staff as there service is #1 and in general the Hotel is very clean and neat and this service from the cleaning staff was certainly not the norm. They know how to look after the clients and my HAT OFF TO YOU.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Medicine Hat, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Rooms were old and average at best. Pukey coloured paint on the walls with tacky pictures on them. Bathroom was TINY and cramped. The big heavy lady at the front desk was very crabby and rude. There was no microwave in the room and had to unplug a lamp to plug the fridge in. Not enough electrical outlets. Curtains were very thin and the light came right through the room forcing me to wake up at 5 AM. That's the part I hated the most. Do not stay in a room at this place if the window faces east. Room was VERRRRY stuffy and I felt like I was suffocating. Rooms were clean however. Restaurant and bar were closed for renovations at the time so I can't comment on those.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Killarney, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

great reception
room was immediately upgraded
great lobby, location
very lovely paintings on the walls
spa in lower level
great breakfast area for all
certainly a great place to relax after a busy day.
the rooms are great in decor

Room Tip: nice jacuzzi room
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Didsbury Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Stayed at the Coast for 3 nights stayed on the bottom floor, room 212, the room was dated but clean. Bed was horrible and you could hear every sound made in the hallway and outside. Hotel is walking distance to a few great restaurants and Tim Hortons across the street. The continental breakfast is usual toast, muffins, cereal etc. - the coffee was good enough that I didn't bother going across the street to Timmy's. The staff at the hotel were very helpful, friendly and accommodating. Price per night was on the cheaper side compared to other hotels in the area. I would stay here again but only for one night.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends