“Good!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Medicine Hat
Calgary, Canada
“Good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

All good comments but one. Good stuff:
Comfy beds
Specious rooms
Very clean
Well kept pool
Wifi good
Love the free breakfast

One issue was the delay in checking in. Many guest rooms were not available at 4pm check in, due to short staffed housekeeping.

Stayed July 2014
Ryan T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Medicine Hat, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
I am happy that you had such a good stay with us here in Medicine Hat and thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

I had a great stay. Service at front desk was friendly, clean room, comfy bed, good location to highway and services(and a Starbucks) :)
This hotel is not located near downtown.
A lot of parking.
Pool and huge waterside was FUN!!!!
Tiny weight room. Dumb-bells, no universal equipment.

I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for staying with us and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I am glad you enjoyed all the facilities and service in the hotel and the amenities located nearby (They know me by name at the Starbucks :) We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the Hat..
Lethbridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I came to stay at this hotel as my first choice messed up the booking. I am glad I came here. The front desk attandent jess was great. Looked after the last minute booking. The Jr suite has lots of space. Its easy to have a few people move around and not run into each other. Lots of hot water and pressure. The breakfast was great. Lots of choice. The orange juice didn't taste watered down. I stayed on the fourth floor in the back. Perfectly quite. I will ask our company travel department to check out this facility.

• Stayed July 2014
Ryan T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Medicine Hat, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
I am glad that Jess was able to make you feel at home and that you enjoyed our hotel. we would love to have you and your colleagues again in the future and I assure you they will have an equally enjoyable time.
Stavanger, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I booked 2 rooms for 2 nights at this property - we have stayed in several hotels in Medicine Hat but this was the first time we had booked at the Holiday Inn. The rooms were really spacious and clean and the pool area/waterslide is fantastic for children.
I was really quite disappointed in the breakfast. I am certain I could have eaten a fresher breakfast at McDonalds. Every thing offered was highly processed from the long life bread to the rubbery eggs. There were a couple of apples and bananas out but they were old and not of good quality. I also found the room rates to be fairly high for what we were receiving. While the other options for hotels in Medicine Hat are uninspired, I'm unsure if I would choose this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Medicine Hat, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear JJReid1030,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding the rooms.

However, we’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the breakfast selection. We will address this concern. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We just completed a cross-Canada road trip and Holiday Inn Expresses were an outstanding pit stop. Functionally they offered everything we needed. Right off the Trans Canada highway, so that if we were driving in at night we did not have to hunt out the location. Each one - and we stayed in several - offered the same good quality beds, large room, fridge, decent bathroom, free wi-fi, edible breakfast, and a small but workable gym. And then easy and quick access back onto the highway. We were able to book online as we drove, allowing us to book "just in time" for our arrival. The functional consistency was something we could count on, relieving any anxiety we might have had knowing what bed we would be sleeping in. One evening we spent at a four-star Fairmont hotel and while the decor was much nicer, and the breakfasts more elaborate, Holiday Inn Express outdid it in the price-value equation. The friendly service at each Holiday Inn Express was the additional feature that would tip me in favour of staying there. And this is written by a "princess" who typically opts for luxury over basic function.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
It is the goal of all Holiday Inn Expresses to provide a product and service that they can rely on no matter which hotel they stay at, and I am happy to see that we are having success. we look forward to being your brand of choice for many years in the future.
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

My daughters and I stayed here for two nights. The pool/waterslide was great, and the hotel is located close to lots of amenities (grocery stores, fast food restaurants, and casual restaurants). We stayed in a family suite which had a king bed at one end of the room, and a kids' room (no door, just tucked in at the other end of the room) with two twin beds. There was also a kitchen with microwave, stovetop, and a few pots/pan/dishes. The room itself was great.

The first night we stayed it must not have been too busy, because we all slept well. The second night, however, was awful. Our room was on the second floor above the entrance to the hotel. People went out there to smoke, and when they talked it sounded like they were right in the room. No big deal during the day, but at 11pm, and 3:30am, it sucked.

The heads of the kids' beds at the other end of the room faced the hallway. That wall was apparently made of similar material to the window, because all sound passed through. Again, no biggie during the day, but during the night and early morning it was pretty bad. My kids woke up because of people talking in the halls a couple times. The other issue was that the toilet in the bathroom of the room above ours had a pipe going right by one of the twin beds. So the kid on that side (left) ended up in my bed after someone flushed the toilet at 4:30am, scaring her (she thought water was going to end up on her. It honestly sounded like that).

I'm really on the fence about staying here again. The waterslide/pool area was great, and the kids had lots of fun. The staff is friendly, especially the breakfast attendants and cleaning staff (although no one at front desk asked about my stay when I checked out, if they had I would have mentioned all this). With all taxes, the room ended up costing nearly $250/night, which would've been okay if we had a good sleep both nights. But since we had a terrible sleep on the second night, it makes me really hesitant to stay here again.

Room Tip: avoid rooms above the hotel entrance!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Medicine Hat, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear songofthetravelling,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I am pleased to know that our location worked for your needs and that you found our amenities and staff commendable.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience the noise challenges may have caused you and your family. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Again, thank you for your time and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Best Regards,

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

This hotel is quite normal in some ways for a Holiday Inn Express. It is very busy and as most of the other hotels in this small city are, very expensive (unless you book months in advance which we didn't).
I wasn't pleased with the extremely mediocre breakfast which included powdered eggs and greasy cheap sausage patties. I watched a man squeeze every single bagel and piece of bread as the staff person watched. Both times within the week we stayed, the pancake machine was broken. Both times the oranges and apples were old.
The other thing that bothered me was trying to avoid the large clumps of dirt that had been tracked in through the halls and elevators into the breakfast room. When I mentioned it to the front desk clerk she told me that the maintenance person wasn't due to come in for an hour. The staff just walked through it.
When I pay almost $200 to stay in a mediocre hotel,in a small prairie city, I would like a fresh breakfast and a clean environment with attentive staff. I didn't get anywhere near that. Sadly, the choice is very limited in Medicine Hat.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Ryan T, Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Medicine Hat, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. Very seldom do our guests have issues like the ones you had mentioned so I am glad you shared as we can use them to really see if there are area's we can improve. All of our team members number one priority is to make the guest stay the best they ever had so we will be brainstorming on the issues and know that the next time you visit you will have a much more enjoyable stay.

Been to Holiday Inn Express and Suites Medicine Hat? Share your experiences!