“Decent Stay but request a top floor” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express and Suites Medicine Hat

and 1 more site!
You added Holiday Inn Express and Suites Medicine Hat to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express and Suites Medicine Hat
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9 Strachan Bay SE, Medicine Hat, Alberta T1B 4Y2, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Medicine Hat
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Calgary, Canada
“Decent Stay but request a top floor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stay at this hotel when passing through Medicine Hat. I am a priority club member that is quickly losing interest in this chain. My room was clean but I found it to be noisy. I heard the people in the hallway and I was at the end of the hall. I heard banging going on from the floor above me.
Breakfast was fine. The usual breakfast you find at every HEI.
I find that the price is too high for what you get and will either try other hotels or just not bother staying in Medicine Hat anymore.

Room Tip: Request a top floor room. Less noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Darlene C, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Medicine Hat, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
I thank you for staying with us on your way through. I do apologize for the noise, perhaps it was a time we had a number of teams with us. We appreciate our guests feedback as we are constantly trying to improve our property and services.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We have stayed in this hotel multiple times. We like everything about the hotel from the cleaniness to the friendly staff. The only complaint we have is for the past two stays, the room was cold. The previous stay we had to get a maintenance person to clean out the heater/ air condititioner which helped immensly. This stay the room never made it over 20 deg C. Probably some routine maintenance on the all room heaters would go a long way to make the hotel even better (especially when its -25 outside).

Room Tip: 4th floor is hypo allergenic
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Darlene C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Medicine Hat, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for your review and especially for your loyalty to our hotel as a repeat guest. Your comments are extremely helpful and will most certainly be passed onto the appropriate person for investigation and follow up.

Please except our apologies and know we appreciate your feedback. We look forward to your next visit with us!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

The Medicine Hat HIE is a good location, with clean, quiet rooms. Check in and out is very efficient. The pool and spa area are bright and clean. Staff are very friendly and helpful. The breakfast bar is just perfect for a morning start. Good spot at a good value.

Room Tip: Ask for south facing room if your a light sleeper to avoid hearing the 18 wheelers at night.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments and for visiting us this Holiday Season. We are pleased to hear you found value in our hotel and its services.

Our entire team works towards providing efficient, friendly service and clean well maintained rooms and surroundings.

Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in 2013!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We only stayed for the one night. We had a 2 bed room on the top floor (4th). We didn't get to try the breakfast in the morning. So, cannot comment on the free breakfast. Room was perfectly fine. Nice size room. Bathroom was nice and as expected for a newer hotel. Beds were so-so. Wasn't a big fan of the pillows, just no support in the pillows my particular bed had. The bed seemed firm (which I like). But, it almost felt like a cheap firm bed. Not sure how else to describe it. Heat was good as typical for noise level. Managed to sleep okay. But, certainly could have ben better.

Probably the only thing I really didn't like was the Pool area. It was quite busy every time we took a look at going. Which was no different when we did finally decide to go. Lots of kids, and the pool seemed sort of dirty given all of the traffic in there over the weekend. There was a lifeguard in there, mainly looking after the waterslide. But, he was younger and really had no control over the older kids that were using the slide and doing as they wished. The poor lifeguard would call in someone more senior at the hotel to help out. But, the kids would misbehave again as soon as the senior staff member was gone.

Cost of the hotel was quite high for this level of hotel in my opinion. So not really a good value. I would soon spend less money and stay across the highway at the Medicine Hat Lodge. If this hotels room cost was a little lower than the lodge, then it would seem in line all things considered.

Room Tip: get a high floor room to avoid noise from floors above
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments and for staying with us. I am sorry to hear your stay was not the value you expected. Unfortunately, due to the holiday season and with the majority of our guest being families, our pool area was very busy.

It is truly unfortunate you did not get a chance to indulge in our Express Start Breakfast featuring eggs, sausage and/or bacon to fresh made pancakes. I am sure you would have enjoyed it and certainly found value.

We hope you will revisit us in the near future as we look forward to providing the value you are looking for.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I am a regular traveller to Medicine Hat for business. In the past six months, I've stayed at the Comfort Inn, Days Inn, Best Western, The Medicine Hat Lodge and the Holiday Inn Express (over 30 stays combined) so I have a pretty decent grasp of the offerings at competing properties. I often have to travel to the area on short notice so vacancies dictate the hotel I end up at.

While the Holiday Inn Express is, in my opinion, the best overall property of the bunch, they are only slightly ahead of the Days Inn when all aspects of the properties are compared. It's difficult to quantify the 20+ percent premium (even higher in season) charged by the Holiday Inn Express.

Pros
Clean and bright property
Large pool area
Very polite and professional staff
Good access to shopping and restaurants

Cons
PRICE - 20% higher than similar properties with similar offerings in the area (Medicine Hat accomodation pricing is overly high in general)
Close enough to the highway to be treated to regular 'engine brake' sounds from trucks on the transcanada.

Some other details,
The Days Inn provides modern large big screen tv with local shaw cable access. The Holiday Inn has much smaller and older Philips TVs which don't seem to work properly with the Lodgenet system and often don't respond to the remote. It appears in Southern Alberta the Holiday Inns have recently changed their cable provider as the channels have moved and some have just disappeared. All rooms have Lodgenet which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing but getting to regular TV can be challenge when the 'system' is being quirky.

And for those of you who are Priority Club Members...

I am a Priority Club Platinum member with over 100 stays at Holiday Inns this year (140K points this year). Since Sept I've stayed at Holiday Inn properties in Kamloops, Medicine Hat and Lethbridge but the 'benefits' of membership haven't been consistent. The Kamloops property treated me and my family like royalty and upgraded us without any request from me to one of the nicest rooms in the building, gave us warm cookies on arrival and called the room shortly after arrival to make sure the room met expectations. In Lethbridge, I'm always upgraded to a premium room which has a personalized wecome card, chocolate bar, mints and a bottle of water in a gift bag waiting for me in the room. In the Medicine Hat facility I get a 'as a platinum member' pronouncement and I'm handed a luke warm bottle of Kirkland water, room upgrades are hit or miss at this location. It's only my opinion but I don't feel like a platinum member at this property.

Overall, for the area the hotel is nice, but pricey.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, try to get a room on opposite side of the building to the highway
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and your loyalty to our brand as a Platinum Priority Club Member! We certainly appreciate your comments, viewpoints and comparisons.

Yes it is true we have changed our TV line up, still using Shaw as a cable provider as we have in the past however now providing our guests HD channel options available in all of our guest rooms.

To touch a little on your Platinum member experience although the welcome gift (ie bottle of water, chocolate, welcome letter) is an optional program for IHG properties and it seems each property does something a little different, we are looking at enhancements in the near future. As a Platinum Member your comments regarding this are certainly appreciated and definitely noteworthy.

As for upgrades, unfortunately our property of 93 rooms is limited to the number of upgrades available due to advance bookings and the actual physical inventory of upgradeable rooms to choose from. Please know we try our very best to provide upgraded rooms to eligible PCR members whenever possible.

Again, thank you for your time in posting your review, we look forward to welcoming you back and appreciate all of your feedback.
Eureka, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed in a Jr. Suite which I found to be your average Holiday Inn Express room. It was clean and properly outfitted with amenities. I had a bit of a disagreement with the front desk/Manager on the pricing but it was not that serious and we agreed to disagree in the end. Received a courteous apology from them so it's all good. This hotel will stay on my regular travel list for now.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Darlene C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Medicine Hat, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for your review and glad to hear everything worked out in the end. Your patronage to our hotel and brand is important to us and most certainly appreciated. We look forward to your next visit with us which we hope will be very soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

Stayed her Nov 26. The saff are extremely friendly, welcome you back if not your first stay, and go out of their way to help with information. Reasonably priced. Very quiet at night - no noise from the halls. Breakfast is fresh, busy though at 6:30.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay with us. Sounds like we checked all the boxes on your list and we are certainly glad to hear that as this is our goal with each and every guest. We appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Been to Holiday Inn Express and Suites Medicine Hat? Share your experiences!