I am a regular traveller to Medicine Hat for business. In the past six months, I've stayed at the Comfort Inn, Days Inn, Best Western, The Medicine Hat Lodge and the Holiday Inn Express (over 30 stays combined) so I have a pretty decent grasp of the offerings at competing properties. I often have to travel to the area on short notice so vacancies dictate the hotel I end up at.
While the Holiday Inn Express is, in my opinion, the best overall property of the bunch, they are only slightly ahead of the Days Inn when all aspects of the properties are compared. It's difficult to quantify the 20+ percent premium (even higher in season) charged by the Holiday Inn Express.
Clean and bright property
Large pool area
Very polite and professional staff
Good access to shopping and restaurants
PRICE - 20% higher than similar properties with similar offerings in the area (Medicine Hat accomodation pricing is overly high in general)
Close enough to the highway to be treated to regular 'engine brake' sounds from trucks on the transcanada.
Some other details,
The Days Inn provides modern large big screen tv with local shaw cable access. The Holiday Inn has much smaller and older Philips TVs which don't seem to work properly with the Lodgenet system and often don't respond to the remote. It appears in Southern Alberta the Holiday Inns have recently changed their cable provider as the channels have moved and some have just disappeared. All rooms have Lodgenet which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing but getting to regular TV can be challenge when the 'system' is being quirky.
And for those of you who are Priority Club Members...
I am a Priority Club Platinum member with over 100 stays at Holiday Inns this year (140K points this year). Since Sept I've stayed at Holiday Inn properties in Kamloops, Medicine Hat and Lethbridge but the 'benefits' of membership haven't been consistent. The Kamloops property treated me and my family like royalty and upgraded us without any request from me to one of the nicest rooms in the building, gave us warm cookies on arrival and called the room shortly after arrival to make sure the room met expectations. In Lethbridge, I'm always upgraded to a premium room which has a personalized wecome card, chocolate bar, mints and a bottle of water in a gift bag waiting for me in the room. In the Medicine Hat facility I get a 'as a platinum member' pronouncement and I'm handed a luke warm bottle of Kirkland water, room upgrades are hit or miss at this location. It's only my opinion but I don't feel like a platinum member at this property.
Overall, for the area the hotel is nice, but pricey.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express And Suites Medicine Hat Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express And Suites Medicine Hat Hotel Medicine Hat
- Holiday Inn Medicine Hat
- Medicine Hat Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Medicine Hat
- Holiday Inn Express And Suites Medicine Hat Alberta
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Medicine Hat Alberta s newest hotel, the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites.. You will find comfort and modern luxury at one of the most convenient locations in Medicine Hat. Located just off the Trans Canada Hwy #1 across from the Medicine Hat Mall and only 5 minutes from the Medicine Hat Exhibition & Stampede grounds. You are within easy walking distance from the brand new Southland Crossing shopping and dining area. The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Medicine Hat is 10 minutes from Medicine Hat's Historic Clay District and Medicine Hat's newest golf course, Desert Blume. Enjoy a swim in our crystal-clear pool, blast down our water slide, or relax in our whirlpool. Burn some energy in our fitness center and help melt the stress away. When it s time to get connected we know what you need high-speed wired and wireless Internet, cable, sports and movie channels. Start your day with our complimentary Express Start hot breakfast, with 57 different items and now 2 hot items each day. From standard rooms to kitchenettes to executive Jacuzzi rooms, KidSuites and our Deluxe Southland Suite-with a board room, we can accommodate any traveler s needs visiting Medicine Hat, Alberta! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and Fareportal so you can book your Holiday Inn Express and Suites Medicine Hat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.