“Quite nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn & Suites Medicine Hat

You added Comfort Inn & Suites Medicine Hat to your Saves list
Comfort Inn & Suites Medicine Hat
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2317 Trans Canada Way SE, Medicine Hat, Alberta T1B 4E9, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
T.G.I. MIDWEEK
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Medicine Hat
jillsicle05
“Quite nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed at the Comfort Inn for a weekend while attending a wedding reception. We had booked a suite which cost around $150/night.

The outside of the hotel is nice and new and the lobby and hallways look brand new, but this must be a renovated hotel - the rooms looked updated, but not fresh and new. The walls had patterns that looked a little stale and the colours were more 1990s. However, everything was very clean and well-kept. The suites have a living area with sofa-bed, mini fridge, bar area (with sink) and microwave with a separate adjoining room for the bedroom. Beds were very comfy. There were 2 TV's but my husband claimed the 'good one' was out in the living area, while the bedroom TV was smaller and lower quality. The channels were also difficult to navigate in the bedroom, and there were much fewer options. Not the end of the world.

We peeked at the pool, which was a standard hotel pool and seemed average, but when my sister wanted to swim with her little one mid-morning, they were unfortunately cleaning and adding chemical, so they didn't get a chance to use it.

Parking was great - we were able to get a spot close to the additional keyed door quite easily despite coming and going. The front desk staff were very pleasant and quickly accessed our room number without any fuss or wasted time. It was actually fairly quiet (for a hotel) and rooms seemed better insulated from noise than we've usually experienced. Comfort Inn is very close to the Mall and to several restaurants, which was very convenient when you needed to run to Target for Tylenol or grab at coffee next door at Tim Horton's in the morning. Easily walking distance. There is also a Safeway and a Superstore less than a minute away.

Overall, it was a nice stay for a decent price.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
CIMHGM, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Medicine Hat, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thank you so much for your review regarding your recent stay at our property. Your feedback is very important to us and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We look forward to seeing you again.

Staff & Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Saskatchewan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The best location as far as we are concerned, off the highway, close to restaurants, mall and movie theatre. The property has recently been redone and it looks and feels good. A better breakfast and pleasant staff also add to the experience.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
CIMHGM, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Medicine Hat, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are very proud of our recent renovations and team and we are glad to hear that you feel the same. It is truly rewarding when our efforts are acknowledged and we appreciate you taking time to let us know. We look forward to seeing you again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I stayed at this hotel last week , after spending the previous week at another hotel where I was extremely unhappy with the service/cleanliness. I'm a smoker and unfortunately have to get up and smoke quite often....I was surprised to be greeted in a friendly manner every single time I passed front desk throughout the night, especially after my previous experience at the other hotel, I would just get a look up (if that) and a look back down, so I found this very refreshing.
Also, I cannot say enough about those beds!!! I have never fallen asleep so fast! Does anyone know what kind of beds they use?? need one ASAP!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your kind words and review! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and sleep with us. We do our very best to ensure that all of our guests are looked after and feel welcome regardless of the number of times we may see you go in and out. I would be happy to share our mattress details with you (please feel free to contact the hotel at 403-504-1700 and ask for myself, Jennifer Fontaine.) We hope to see you again soon!

Black Diamond, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night while playing in a ball tournament. I have to commend Leslie at the front desk for going above and beyond the call of duty. We arrived early to confirm our reservation and I asked to see our room. It was on the 3rd floor, but right across from the elevator. It had a stale tobacco smell as well. I told her that this would not meet our needs, so she checked for another room, top floor, away from elevator and let us inspect it. Great. The bed was very comfortable, the room quiet. The bathtub could use a good scrub, however. We heard some noise from the hallway once during the evening, but overall a very enjoyable stay. The hotel is well located. The elevator is small, as is the dining area. The breakfast was just average. We didn't use the pool or hot tub. We would stay here again if we travel to Medicine Hat. Thanks again, Leslie.

Room Tip: Top floor, away from elevators. Ask to see the room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. On behalf of Lelise, thank you also for acknowledging her efforts and for making a point to include her name on your review. I am sorry that your first assigned room was not to your standards (our ours) but am glad to hear that we were able to find you an alternate room and that your stay was enjoyable. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Langley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here. I am not one to write reviews but this has to be said, because if more establishments could be like this I would love traveling more. Unlucky enough I couldn't sleep. Even though the beds were some of the comfiest beds I've ever layed in. The room was spotless and felt very welcoming. I tossed and turned for awhile before I had to take a walk around 2am. I casually walk through the lobby where I was immediately greeted in a welcoming manner by the front desk lady (I believe here name was Rachel). She instantly began to engage conversation in a warm manner (I could tell she enjoyed her job). Instantly I was drawn in and we had a very good conversation. We talked for a bit then I began to get tired so I went back to my room where I could now get some much needed rest. It was nice to have the feeling of almost being at home. Where staff actually cared about the customer and I wasn't just a number that was an annoyance. Other hotels and employees should take note. And people would be happier in general. The whole hotel was very clean and well organized. And staff was amazing. I would recommend this hotel to everyone. And recommend other hotels to take a hint from this establishment.

• Stayed June 2014
CIMHGM, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Medicine Hat, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for your kind words regarding Rachel and our property. The positives are not always passed along to any establishment and it is truly heartwarming to know that we were able to make a difference despite you not being able to sleep. It is always a pleasure to know that our guests did enjoy their time with us and that we did our part in making you feel welcome and ensuring that your stay was comfortable. Your message will also be passed along direct to Rachel, along a token of appreciation. We look forward to seeing you again.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

I travel very often usually like to stay in the various "Choice Privileges hotels" (Comfort Inn, Econolodge and the others). They are usually good value for money with nice, helpful staff. I stayed at the hotel above and, although the staff were their usual nice selves, I am not so sure about the service. One thing that did stand out is the unusually harsh sign in the rooms talking about the need for people to use less towels. I know we all have to be more careful with our use of the planet's resources and a lot of hotels have jumped on the band wagon. Let me stress that I am usually quite environmentally conscious - I recycle as much as I can, do not buy bottled water without good reason and re-use most things, including my hotel towels when I can. However, this sign was the harshest one I have seen yet. It appeared to accuse "towel users" of being the scum of the earth (I took a picture of the sign in my room). Although the hotel has a swimming pool, I was almost afraid to use it because it meant that I will have to use a towel to dry myself afterwards! I also wondered whether this extended to their shower which was a weak trickle of water from a tired shower head. If you are planning to go there, beware of using the towels! You might be "killing our rivers" and there are signs in the rooms that accuse you of being " simply negligent". Better still, do stay away and try the Medicine Hat Lodge right across from the Comfort Inn - they still have the signs talking about the need to be cautious about your use of towels but they do not make it sound like you are the scum of the earth for going near any of their towels!

Room Tip: Take your own towels!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review! We have never had a guest take offense to the signs in the washrooms, and truly, we don't want anyone to think they are the 'scum of the earth' for choosing to use their towels only once! We certainly are not accusing anyone of being negligent, or of killing our rivers - we simply feel as strongly as you do about doing our part to protect our environment. The simple negligence is when a hotel doesn't give their guests the option of reusing their towels, and we want to make every effort to reduce the ecological impact of our busy hotel.
Truly, we mean no disrespect with our signage, and welcome the debate about their overall effectiveness. We invite anyone reading this to head over to our Facebook page and provide a comment on what you think of this issue, whether we should opt for less dramatic signage, or if it is okay the way it is.

Staff & Managment
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Have stayed here several times & overall, a good value, clean, decent breakfast, good location. This time, however, our room smelled of smoke. I'm assuming it might have, at one time, been a smoking room, even though the hotel is now all non-smoking. Also, had a difficult time talking to anyone at the desk on more than 1 attempt & feel they could use a second staff member given how busy the hotel always seems to be.

Room Tip: Suggest asking for a room that has never been smoked in if this is important to you.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
CIMHGM, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Medicine Hat, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that we were failed in meeting your expectations during your last visit. Some of our guest rooms have been converted from smoking to non smoking and it is unfortunate to learn that we have not been able to combat the smell. I am also sorry that we were not able to provide immediate customer service during your visit. We do offer a 2nd team member most evenings, especially now with it being so busy. We do hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Staff & Management

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Medicine Hat? Share your experiences!