“Clean but not fancy” 3 of 5 stars

855 Gershaw Drive SW, Medicine Hat, Alberta T1A 7Y3, Canada   |
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Medicine Hat
“Clean but not fancy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

It's basic but clean, the front desk is nice. TV and wireless works. Fridge and stove are old but clean.Nice flat screen tv with free channels and pay-per-view. Definitely dated but super reasonable. You get what you pay for its not the ritz but you aren't paying for that either.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Budapest
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Well, stay away from this place. Dirty, outdated and isn't worth a penny.
We had booked a non-smoking room first, and we got a very stinky, dirty, smoking one. After the complain we got another. Well... It was not stinky, but honestly it was in a very poor condition and was dirty as well. S

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Coquitlam, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

This was a basic room and basic breakfast for a basic price. Some cleanliness issues as noted by others-somebody had spilled something up on the wall behind the couch in the living area and so the wall needs a scrub. Washroom needs silicone redone and tap is not affixed to sink correctly. Old air conditioning unit took hours to get the room to comfortable. Hosts were friendly. Classic road motel for quick cheap stay. One can't expect the Hilton for $75!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Nelson, B.C.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

There was black mould in the bathroom, a variety of different insects crushed onto the walls, drunks on the second floor, no free breakfast, a filthy carpet and a television from 1994. On a related note... the burgers next door may have been made from pigeon meat. Upon further inspection I noticed the telltale red-flag; even the Gideons passed over this hole.

Stayed July 2014
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

So I moved here from ontario and had in tow all my measly possessions, my significant Other, two indoor cats and a smallish quiet dog. We paid $1050 for a month.. hoping reviews were honest. We stayed in 118. Small semi working fridge and dirty microwave with old pizza in it! They gave us a smoking room because of the dog.. I do not smoke, my partner smokes outside. I was disgusted at the smoke residue on the walls and the smell of mould in the room! Took a shower and the shower head leaked bad enough it soaked the entire floor of the bathroom. But we were tired and decided it was ok. But then as I went around the only window was busted shut. So no air except the ac.. or emergency exit. Which was what triggered me wanting to move. I slept on top of the covers because the mattress and pillows were just permeated with smoke. I was quite unhappy I just let go of half my savings for this crap. So the next day we moved into 101.. which is where I am this moment as I am writing this review. We have upgraded.. if I can say that. The room is bigger, full kitchen which I needed for our two month stay and a seperate living area and full size fridge. I was delighted to get in this room vs 118. So for a few days it was nice and homey and things were alright. Until I started noticing these funny black and yellowish bugs coming from inside the medicine cabinet in the bathroom.. and then from the tub.. and the hole in the wall in the kitchen. Im not a freak over bugs so I let it slide. Its a motel. No bedbugs yet.but then we got some bigger bugs.. with a distinctly familiar look. Cockroaches. Yep. And still I dont freak out. Except now im killing 3 or 4 a DAY!!! Went to Jason the owner about the problem. He shrugs it off and says we are already getting a super cheap rate. I mean the guy is nice and accomodating but we had to pay an extra 100$ to move rooms and so now my bill is 1150 for a basic cheap one bedroom apt and im living with cockroaches. I wouldnt care except they carry disease and pathogens and they have been known to bite people. So now I am rewashing my clean dishes and plugging the drains because the are coming up through the tub and sink drains and out from behind the kitchen counter which is not mounted to the wall. Jason gave us three cockroach traps and some spray. I cannot use the spray as we have pets.. and the traps dont seem to be making a difference. So my cat chases cockroaches in the kitchen sink at night when the lights are off and I kill them during the day. Another two weeks of this and we will be done.. and we cant afford to go anywhere else. So if this room has cockroaches they all do. And I will be reporting it to the health board because this is ridiculous. Cockroaches are nocturnal and the FIRST SIGN that there is an infestation is seeing them DURING THE DAY. So be warned!!!!

On a better note, the free breakfast is ok, ac works well and laundry is onsite but a bit expensive. And now that the crazy group of men on drugs left its a little more quiet. However 118 did get totally trashed the other night when someone ripped out the ac and flipped the bed , broke the table, cut all the power cords on the appliances and more... and then proceeded to the elecrical panel that is exposed in the walkway and cut the power to the other visitors rooms on that side of the motel. In the middle of the night. That being said he got away with it and no one is harmed. Overall ill say . Its been a mediocre experience but not the worst I've had. Just hope it sheds some light on your research before you come stay here! And dont forget im still living here so if you think this is trash talk come visit us in 101. ☺

• Stayed June 2014
Christina Lake, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Cost us $5 for our tiny dog which was just fine; the room was very small and bath towels are very small! Must have been a smoking room at one time as could still smell it under the room deodorizer that was in the room. I could see they were trying as had ice in the small fridge freezer in a zip lock bag as well as the coffee cups were in zip lock bags. I am the kind of person that won't use ice that someone may have been using their hands to manage it. New beds would be an asset.
Breakfast was in one of the rooms and offered juice, coffee, toast, yogurt,cereal and fruit though the apples looked like they had been around for some time. The man at the front dest was nice.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Whoa, stayed here in early Jan, 2014 room 210. Dirty but acceptable for the price.
Needed a place again and happened to get same room, 210. It's worse than before, and I'll bet it'll get even worse as time goes by and doubt management cares. Needed shower, no go. shower head leaked and soaked bathroom floor. I still have buoyancy as my boys floated as I took a bath. If you stay in the room I'm in you may want to bring body condom. Beer stains on the wall, burn holes in the carpet, baseboards filthy, water stains, don't touch the door knobs, OMG I could go on.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 210, for your health.