“Very Neat Atrium” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 19 hotels in Lethbridge
Calgary
“Very Neat Atrium”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I travel quite a bit, this hotel was really neat! The Atrium was great, we really enjoyed our dinner in the lounge, and it’s nice to have an indoor dinner in the middle of winter but have it feel so much like a summer night :)

The room was just OK, some wallpaper pealing off the wall, the furniture set up was very strange; everything was pushed together on the wall so most of the wall was empty. Our toilet broke in the middle of the night, which wasn’t a huge deal its one of those things that just happens.

I was very disappointed that the back entrance near my room did not seem to lock at night, I went out for a cigarette at 11 pm and the door was unlocked and it didn’t appear they had it set up for room key access, which made me think it does not lock ever. There is a night club in the back as well so at 11 pm that door should 100% be locked. My room did not have a chain lock (or something similar) either which I have never seen before. If I stayed again I would request to not be in the back of the hotel.

The Breakfast was pretty good except the staff were not friendly at all, no one even spoke to us during our breakfast, no how is everything, nothing. (It was a buffet, we had free breakfast vouchers)

I would stay again only because of the Atrium and the lounge in it, the food there was amazing!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Paul H, General Manager at Lethbridge Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful feedback you provided regarding your recent stay at the Lethbridge Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre. We were all thrilled to read that you enjoyed the atrium of the hotel. It is very unique for a hotel to have live botanical plants surrounded by running brooks under natural sunlight provided by the many skylights in the roof. The area can offer a tropical feeling inside when it can be cold outside.
I appreciate you sharing your comments regarding the condition of the wallpaper. I have shared this with our Maintenance Manager and his team and we will ensure that our inspections take care of this immediately. I also value your comment regarding the rear door of the hotel. I have contacted a security company to upgrade the lock and ensure that it is accessible with an electronic room key.
Thank you again for your glowing review and the valuable suggestions to assist us in improving our service to you ..... our valued guest.

230 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Calgary, Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stay here a couple times per year. We like the family suites. Yes , the rooms are a bit tired, but we always find it reasonably clean. They do need to replace the balance of the windows as they are drafty...but it didn't bother us. The atrium is nice and the lounge is relaxing. Cindy really takes care of you. The staff in the restaurant are always helpful... We have toddler twins so they go the extra mile for us. The pool is clean, albeit a bit cool on this stay. The heat in our room wasn't working and when we called the front desk, someone was there within minutes and got it going. Also, we broke a glass in the room, and again,Barry was right there to vacuum it up.

Room Tip: Get one on the 3rd or 4th floor with new windows. If you're early to bed, then get an outside...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We sincerely thank you for the glowing comments especially in recognition of two of our employees. We firmly believe that it is our employees that are the lifeblood of the Lethbridge Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre and that we strive to offer personal service to all of our guests. We do recognize that the hotel is a bit dated in decor; however we keep cleanliness and comfort top of mind. I have shared your comment regarding the temperature of both your room and the pool. It will be the focus of the Maintenance Team to ensure that we provide a comfortable environment for our guests.
Thank you again for the wonderful comments. The staff was so excited to read that we provided you and your family the positive experience our guests desire while staying in a hotel. We look forward to your return.

Safe travels,

Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I wound up here because Hotwire rated it as their top stars for this city, and you don't always know what you're getting for the Hotwire price. I would rather have gotten one of their one notch lower places like Holiday Inn Express or Comfort Suites.
Here there is no breakfast included (which I figured) but the Internet connection is sporadic and works about haf the time. That can be very annoying.
Half of the rooms face the indoor courtyard which has the pool and bar area. This gets extremely noisy, especially with all the kids and teenagers screaming. I actually had to crank up the TV volume to overcome the racket.
I was generous with my "average" rating because the staff was friendly and sympathetic about the Internet, and also although the room was a little out-dated, it was comfortable enough.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking back outside, not at the indoor courtyard.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at the Lethbridge Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre. We were certainly appreciative that your recognized the personal service provided to you. We would like to apologize for the internet service you experienced during your stay. We are currently in the process of upgrading our high speed internet service with a more robust system and will soon be able to provide better if not the best high speed in the city of Lethbridge for a hotel.
We are pleased to offer complimentary hot buffet breakfast with “make your own” Belgian waffles. This service is offered to guests who reserve their room through our own website or directly with the hotel as part of their room rate. I am also pleased to let you know that over the next couple of months, we will be improving the look and service of the Complimentary Breakfast Buffet.
Thank you again for your valuable comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sincere regards,

Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I was very concerned upon reading the reviews! I have recently stayed in 2 other hotels in Lethbridge and this would rank in the middle of them, though strictly for value for money I would place this hotel in last place.

My biggest concern was that people reported it was dirty. I can report that for the two rooms we stayed in 144 and 329, the room was clean. We both checked the bathrooms, carpets, beds and other items and it was fine.

The hotel itself is the epitomy of 1980's style. The lounge and pool are located in the courtyard, which is about 4 stories high and enclosed. The lobby lounge has a nice vibe.

My room, 144, was located on the ground floor, facing the back parking lot, and anyone could walk up to the window - I didn't feel the window offered great protection, though there were no problems.

The room is dated and in come areas worn. The tv was an old console style, about 20 inch. The window sill was chipped and the caulking around the sink needed to be redone.

Strangely my room really smelled of cooking, the hallway didn't. It was quite strong. Another issue with my room was a strange electrical sound which sounded a bit like the scrapping of a chair (as you push back from a desk), that happened several times an hour and lasted about 10 seconds. No super loud, it never woke me up but it was annoying as I lay in bed trying to go to sleep.

The room offered a desk and a chair with no wheels.

Internet speed was fine for me.

The bedside lamp must have had some low wattage lights because it was difficult to read as the lights were too low.

The bed was comfortable and so was the comforter. The pillows (4 on each bed) offered both high and low loft.

No fridge, no microwave and no water provided.

Heat in the room was effective, though the heat selector dial was broken and it was difficult to figure out what the temp setting was. The fan was a little loud. I left mine off most of the time and the temperature was great for sleeping (about 18 degrees or lower). I turned on the heat in the morning to warm it up before I got ready, and then turned it down for the day. My workmate stayed on the 3rd floor and she found it too warm at night, making it difficult for her to sleep (hotel issue or menopause issue?).

Checkin was quick and friendly. Check out was ok.

I probably wouldn't stay here again, given the price I paid, and I won't recommend it.

Room Tip: some complain about the courtyard being loud, I think the ambience would be worth the noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so very much for the detailed comments regarding your recent stay at the Lethbridge Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre. We appreciate that you recognize that although our hotel is a bit dated in decor, we strive to maintain cleanliness and comfort for our guests. We certainly apologize for the unknown noise you heard in your room. Our Maintenance Team will be placing the room out of order and will determine if the mechanical unit of the heating system will need to be replaced. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
The staff were thrilled that you enjoy the atrium and that the ambiance met your expectation. The atrium offers a unique setting amidst live botanical gardens, running brooks all under natural sunlight. In the evening time the area is alive and can also be very tranquil.
Thank you again and we certainly look forward to your return.

Yours in hospitality,

calgary alberta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel because of a hockey tournament and the team was booked there. Rooms are very out of date and mine was dirty! Dirty enough that I went down and asked for a new room. The rooms looked like they cam out of that 70's show, furniture was very old and had a tube tv that had to warm up to get rid of fuzzy picture.....All rooms are also
built around a main court area that is really quite nice but the noise echos thru there and it was quite loud. Tip for a good room choice is to find another hotel.
The food was good as we ate there but the bad out weighs the good by a lot!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at the Lethbridge Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre. We appreciate your comments and will certainly strive to improve. We place cleanliness at top of mind and certainly apologize that during your stay we fell down on that occasion. I have shared your comment with our Housekeeping Manager and we will continue to coach our Room Attendants to our high standards.
Thank you for the glowing comment on our food. The Chef and his culinary team were thrilled to read this.

Sincere regards,

Medicine Hat, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

When you walk in the door of this old hotel you are greeted by a lovely warm lobby. Behind the check in desk is a beautiful courtyard with pool and lounge, baby grand piano and more. But this quite literally is where the warm happy feeling ends! The rooms are so out of date, that they rival the stage sets from "That 70's Show". The bathtubs are maybe 9 inches deep, with mould growing on the walls between the siliconed tiles. The water pressure isn't. You need to run around in the shower the get wet. The hot water is sporadic at best. The heating in the room is also poor. We were freezing. The windows are ancient, with drafts coming through. The windows coverings have plastic on the back side which is all torn and clipped together with safety pins. (not good if you have small children that's for sure!)The rooms are not clean. Clearly their housekeeping policies are not up to what most expect of a hotel today. Never mind the Lodge, which used to be the nicest place in Lethbridge. This last trip we checked in Saturday afternoon. We got to our room and it was dirty. Beds were made, but you could tell they weren't clean sheets. They had definitely been slept in. There was garbage etc still in the room. We went back to the front desk and complained, so they gave us another room. We got into it, and hooray, clean beds, but huge gigantic clumps of dog hair was everywhere. They most definitely only cleaned this room half way. When we called the front desk, they admitted that the room they put us in was a pet room. So, three times a charm and we get yet another room. This room was clean for the most part. The carpet is old and really dirty. The toilet hadn't been cleaned (urine stains all over) but we were tired of moving from room to room and really just wanted to get settled in. The Wi-fi is very slow, but adequate. The front desk staff were alright in handling our situation giving us free vouchers for breakfast and discounting the room we stayed in. It isn't really their fault the rooms weren't cleaned and they did work to come up with a positive solution. Do NOT eat at the restaurant there. Service and food is NOT good. But that is for another review. Overall, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, nor will I ever stay here again!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel. Trust me!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Paul H, General Manager at Lethbridge Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Please accept our most sincere apologies regarding your recent stay at the Lethbridge Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre. We believe that it is through the eyes of valuable guests such as you that we can continuously strive to improve. Certainly what you have described is not the norm of cleanliness for our guest rooms and your comments have been shared to our Housekeeping Manager and the Room Attendants. We are in the process of retraining each Room Attendant and providing a thorough inspection of each room for our arriving guests. It is our commitment to our guests to not only provide the personal service we have become recognized for, but to also ensure that the stay is comfortable within a clean room. We certainly recognize that the rooms are a bit dated and we will be improving on this in the future.
Thank you again and we hope to regain your confidence by having you stay with us again in the near future.

Lethbridge, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I'm unlucky enough to have to stay here twice a week along with work colleagues. The worst hotel I have ever had the misfortune to stay at. Rooms usually dirty, hairs in the bed, bathrooms not cleaned, noisy (especially on weekends), heating intermittent, hot water often doesn't work (receptionist's response is to "let the water run for 20 minutes"), the internet is barely useable (slowest WiFi for any hotel I've stayed at, and cuts in and out), I could go on and on. It will be the cheapest rate for a reason, but definitely not worth it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for providing feedback as a regular guest of the Lethbridge Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre. We certainly value your patronage and business as a guest who stays with us on a regular basis. We certainly apologize for providing you a less than positive experience as we recognize that our Hotel is your "home away from home". We are in the process of upgrading the services you mentioned and I am confident that within a short amount of time you will recognize these improvements. Of course we will continue to maintain and enhance our personal service offered to our guests and provide a top of mind cleanliness standard in a hotel that we recognize is a bit dated in appearance.
We look forward to your continued support.

Sincere Regards,

Lethbridge Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre

Been to Lethbridge Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!