“Lovely trip, beautiful!” 4 of 5 stars

Cambridgeshire
25 attraction reviews
“Lovely trip, beautiful!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had seen so many photographs of Spirit Island so I was a little afraid I would be disappointed seeing it for real,in this case I am glad to say I was not. The cruise out on the lake was fun and the Skipper and First mate were great, very knowledgeable. Maligne lake is beautiful and Spirit Island is so lovely. Plenty of opportunity to take photographs. We didn't do the walks but they looked good as well. I would definately recommend this as a trip to do.

Visited September 2012

Fort McMurray, Canada
18 attraction reviews
“World Famous View!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We did the boat ride to Spirit Island. This was a lovely attraction with a view you will not soon forget, and an absolute paradise if you fancy yourself a photographer.

Likes: price was reasonable. You can get a bit of a discount if you book through one of the adventure tour places in Jasper and bundle it with some other activities like rafting or the tramway. It was raining when we got there, and even though our tickets were for 3pm, we were told we could wait it out and take one of the later boats to see if it would stop raining. That is just what we did, and we ended up going at 5pm instead and had amazing weather and photos, so that was great. While we waited, we did the short hike along the lakeshore. It was an easy walk and provided a few photo opportunities of the mountain, lake and wildlife.

The guide on the boat was friendly and informative and it made the boat ride very nice. The view of Spirit Island was simply breathtaking and worth every penny.

Dislikes:
1. Biggest dislike was that the boat only stops for about 30 minutes to get the pictures of Spirit Island. Do yourself a favour and sit near the back of the boat so you can be the first one off, and book it to the viewing platform as quick as you can.
2. Other drivers on the road that were going way too fast. Slow down! This is a national park and if you run over all the wildlife there won't be any left! In my opinion Parks Canada should totally install photo radar along these drives and ticket the hell out of people with no respect.

Keep in Mind: It was a bit of a drive ( I think about 2-3 hours) from Jasper. We were slowed down by stopping a few times to see wildlife on the sides of the road (some elk and bears). There are a few look off points to see along the way as well, so give yourself some time to take it slow and really enjoy all there is to see.

There is a cafeteria/restaurant at Maligne Lake, although I found it pricey. So I would pack some snacks, especially since there isn't really anywhere to stop and grab a snack along the drive to/from Jasper.

There is a canoe/kayak rental place so you can go explore out on the lak youself. I don't know the price of this as it was raining the day we went, although had it been nicer we totally would have done it. There are also some other, longer hikes you can do in the area, although again we were rained out of going on these.

Visited July 2012
Long Island, New York
42 attraction reviews
“Terrific experience on a beautiful body of water”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We had a guided-tour on Lake Maligne in a comfortable boat which fit all of our tour group. We got a chance for pictures and got to get off the boat at Spirit Island too. Very beautiful way to see a very beautiful area of Canada.

Visited July 2012
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Absolutely the best views in Jasper”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was probably the best way I could have spent my money. The guide and captain where both upbeat and ready to answer any question. The cruise was fun, but you could also rent a canoe in the summer and cross the lake yourself.

Spirit island was beautiful as well and the hiking loop was easy to do and full of great scenery. A MUST see is Maligne lake.

Visited October 2012
Mount Isa, Australia
5 attraction reviews
“Beautiful but maybe a little pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Mum and I took the cruise this afternoon. Have been very fortunate to have some really pretty weather here in Jasper. It snowed last night quite a bit but the sun was shining brightly during the cruise and the snow just made everything look gorgeous. Nice scenic 90 minute cruise to Spirit Island with a brief off-the-boat photo stop. Didn't see any wildlife- apparently not that common to see any.

Overall, I think quite over priced. About $60 each with tax for a brief boat cruise. I don't know if the company has to pay a lot for licensing fees or if they are just ripping off the tourists. Boats were reliable but quite crowded. It was possible to go out on the deck but floor was quite slippery (and lake is verrrrry cold). I had a window seat but passengers without one probably didn't have a very good view on the actual cruise.

Guides (as usual in this country) were fantastic. Very friendly and enthusiastic. Everything ran on time. Nice drive up to the lake as well with wildlife spotting opportunities.

Visited October 2012