“Not worth $200 a night!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sawridge Inn and Conference Centre Jasper

Save Saved
You added Sawridge Inn and Conference Centre Jasper to your Saves list
Sawridge Inn and Conference Centre Jasper
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   76 Connaught Drive, Jasper, Jasper National Park, Alberta T0E 1E0, Canada   |
Special Offer
Save $30 per Night!
Ranked #4 of 17 hotels in Jasper
Edmonton
“Not worth $200 a night!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Totally not what I expected. Great impression walking through the front doors . . . greenery, dead animals, restaurant, humid, children screaming from the open area pool. Ok the greenery was nice. Made me think it was a big hotel I needed to tour, it wasn't.

Front desk people: always great and always attempted to be helpful. Whether I was in front of them or calling down (which I did a lot). Manager did give us a discount off the room after this list of complaints.

Beds and Pillows: Best part of the whole experience here. Seriously, I need to get some of those pillows.

Rooms: Walked straight to the balcony, opened the screen door and if fell off in my hand. Awesome. Maintenance was up there super quick to fix it. TV and alarm clock ancient and yellow like it used to be in a smoking room. Couldn't attach my ipod to anything. Wasn't there to watch movies but wouldn't really want to on an old school tube tv anyways, especially when I would have to pay for it.

Room Service: Went out on Friday night because it was Jasper in January and came home late and starving! Purposely didn't buy food for the room because they advertised room service ALL day and night. When we called were told "sorry! we have no food, would you like chocolate bars?". Very upset by this.

Bathroom: Small and not as clean as I would have hoped for. Toilet wasn't cleaned properly . . . as in someone else's excrement was still on the back of the seat. Called and they came to clean it right away (which was great) until I inspected the toilet after he left and he somehow MISSED that spot. I ended up doing it myself. The sink was clogged the whole time. Took five minutes to drain. Bathtub drain, clogged. Had a foot soak in my own washed off soap and skin, nice right?

Pool: Decent size but in the middle of the hotel and wide open. Sound travels, especially kid sounds. Would be better enclosed or outside.

Spa: Called and booked the massage and facial package day before. Showed up, got great massages. Matt has magic hands and listened when I asked him to not touch my feet. My friend ended up with a foot rub when she specifically asked for no feet touching. However, when it came time for the facial there was no booking for that part. They asked us to come back in a few hours or the next day. I refused because it was supposed to be a package. They blamed it on the "new girl" but it was the registered massage therapist who gave my friend the massage who answered the phone. They offered us 10% off the package if we agreed right then.

Buffet Breakfast: Surprisingly good selection. Hot and Tasty. Service was terrible!! Offered ONE coffee. No water, no refills. Needed to flag someone down for water and it wasn't our server. Waited too long for the bill when we waited at the door to leave. .

Truthfully shocked at the overall terrible service in Jasper (not the front desk). Seems like most people who work there aren't happy to be there and are annoyed that people even showed up in the winter. A little disappointed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
sawridgejasper, Director of Sales at Sawridge Inn and Conference Centre Jasper, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Angelvenom99
Thank you for providing your detailed comments. It is greatly appreciated, and we take all of your concerns very seriously. It is with such honest feedback that we are able to better our operation and exceed our client’s expectations. It is evident that we did not meet your expectations. I am pleased to see that we did respond to your concerns in a quick and efficient manner. We take great pride in our cleanliness and attention to detail, but clearly we were not up to standards during your stay. I truly regret we did not handle things better. We have immediately followed up with our team to ensure such a situation does not reoccur. Our general manager will make every attempt to contact you once again.

683 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Korean first
North of 49
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We ended up in Jasper late one evening on a recent road trip to Victoria. We had no reservation so did a quick smartphone check on Tripadvisor and based on price and reviews we ended up here. Our room was excellent, the restaurant in the front of the hotel served up a great beer and wonderful meal, what more could you ask for. There was plenty of parking with good access from both front and rear of Inn if you had lots of things to carry. Breakfast in the atrium area the next morning was nicely done, and the staff throughout the Inn were great. My only comment would be if you don't want some pool noise just ask for an outer room. Noise was not excessive at all but some would grumble! Thanks Sawridge and as usual thanks Tripadvisor.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Stewartstown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

We weren't expecting to spend the night in Jasper; however, we spent so much time stopping to take pictures on our way from Banff, that we decided to stay the night. Based on previous reviews we decided to try Sawridge. The rate was perfect and we were pleasantly surprised how nice the Inn was based upon our $102 rate.

Our only complaint, the temperature of the room, it was unbearably hot. We had to turn on the air condition in January, as we were sweating profusely. When we checked out we did tell the front desk clerk, but he was clueless, or should I say, he didn't listen to our concern. He was more interested in telling us where the heater was in the unit, then actually listening to hear that the unit was too hot, and we had to turn on the air conditioning. The air condition cooled the room; however the air conditioning unit constantly turned on and off all night, making for a sleepless night.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I'm really not a fan of Jasper hotels but this place is best of the bunch of the town hotels, old but nicely renovated rooms, good bar restaurant, nice pool - stay here over the other similar hotels would be my advice

Rob

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Recently stayed one night before Christmas here with our dog and had a great experience. Very clean room, beautiful atrium, plants and lobby. International staff excellent (esp Nixon from New Zealand, Natalia from Poland, and Thomas from Germany). Enjoyed a tasty meal in the rustic lodge surroundings of the Hearthstone (dessert was the best) and an excellent buffet breakfast before heading on our way. Loved the fact that on a very long cold winter night you could walk around the greenery and savour the "I'm on vacation feeling". Would love to stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

This was our first visit to the Sawridge and I can't say I was overly impressed. Average rooms, they were clean but the weekend we were there, the Inn was hosting 2 weddings. I little noisy inside and out. We are not new to the Jasper area as we live in Edmonton and travel to Jasper at least once a year. We have never stayed at the Sawridge because of their overly inflated prices. I probably wouldn't stay there again as there are far better hotels in Jasper with lower prices.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Tony B, General Manager at Sawridge Inn and Conference Centre Jasper, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear tshelly,
Thank you for expressing your comments and concerns regarding your recent stay with us. Jasper, being a resort destination, is amongst Albertans’ favourite location for hosting a wedding. The backdrop of the Rocky Mountains is very inviting, and certainly accounts for most memorable occasions, both for the bridal parties and wedding guests. Consequently, weddings have been a part of Jasper’s clientele base for decades, and will likely continue to be for years to come. We apologise that this may have inconvenienced your stay with us. Our pricing patterns are similar to all other Jasper hotels in that they may fluctuate with seasonal demands. I would like to invite you to return to our property. Please feel free to contact me at any time, and I will personally ensure your next stay with us is a very memorable one.
Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Recently stayed at the Sawridge for 4 nights and I must say it was the best experience I have had so far while staying in Jasper. We have tried quite a few different hotels in Jasper over the last few years and the Sawridge was the most well kept of them all. Many of the other hotels are old and outdated and they do not seem to care where as the Sawridge at least appeared to be trying to maintain and update their hotel. The lobby and atrium were very nice as well as the rooms. We had two rooms, a regular room and the family suite. With the bed and breakfast special I thought they were quite reasonably priced and the breakfast was good. This is not a five star hotel but is perfect for families on a ski holiday. I must also complement the staff as they were always very friendly and helpful. My only real complaint was the lack of parking as vehicles were always parked along road and driveway making things quite congested around the entrance area.

Room Tip: Inside rooms overlook atrium area which can be quite noisy, outside rooms will be quieter.