“Worst ever - stay away” 1 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Jasper Inn & Suites

You added BEST WESTERN Jasper Inn & Suites to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Jasper Inn & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   98 Geikie Street, Jasper, Jasper National Park, Alberta TOE 1EO, Canada   |
Hotel deals

Front desk is very inexperienced. I made 3 reservations through expedia:
room 1 from 8/19-8/21
room 2 from 8/19-8/20
room 3 from 8/20-8/21

The reason I booked room 2 and room 3 separately was solely because room 2 was not available for 2 nights when I made the original reservation. At a later date I made reservation for room 3 when it became available.

Front desk told me she would cancel my room 3 and make room 2 for 2 nights (8/19-8/21). Sounds good. Now I was still charged for room 3 as a no-show fee. When I contacted them again they refused to make corrections since I don't have the cancellation number - the front desk never gave it to me.

Hotel was old, small, hot during the day, and smelly. It is really a motel (except for the pool). This is the most expensive hotel during my 9 days trip in Banff-Jasper, but the worst one. My stay at Mystic Springs Chalets was 10 times better.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Mississauga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

Stayed here for 6 nights. We had the lower level with a kitchenette. Room was spacious and layed out nice. Kitchenette is great with all the fixins. Quiet until guests above open and close patio sliding door. Sounds like a rolling bowling ball. Don`t be surprised to see elk wandering about the grounds especially in the morning which is nice. Desk clerks and cleaning crew are friendly. All in all we had a good stay but kinda wish we reserved a room with a balcony instead. Our fault.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, IN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

We stayed in a room here in June and were generally satisfied with our visit. The room lacked air conditioning but was nicely appointed. It had clearly been renovated recently, and everything was new and contemporary. The beds were comfortable, and the staff were courteous. The pool was fine -- my kids enjoyed splashing around and swimming. We purchased the buffet breakfast from the hotel restaurant twice, which was a little pricey, but the food was decent enough and very convenient. My only complaints were the price and the lack of A.C. Regarding the former, although our stay was expensive, in Jasper during high season, you really aren't going to find much in the way of value. I can live with that; however, as another reviewer mentioned, I didn't appreciate not being able to cool off the room at night. Because we were on the first floor, we didn't feel comfortable leaving a window open. Although the temperature was bearable, it was far from optimal. After reading other reviewers' comments, it appears that not all of the rooms have been renovated yet. If we were to return to the Best Western, and I think we would given that its room rates are comparable to other hotels in Jasper, I would request a 2nd floor room that had been renovated.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

This is the last hotel we stayed at in our 11 day US/Canada vacation. But the 2 nights at the hotel marked a disappointing end to our vacation. First of all our family of 3 booked a room for approx. 235 USD. We were expecting a 3-star room something along the lines of other Best Western hotels we had stayed in the US. The room we got, however, was like a room in a typical 2-star hotel. The hotel turned out to be a very old hotel and Best Western didn't bother renovating it for the comfort of their guests. The rooms were hot as hell as there were no air-conditioning and we found it hard to sleep at night. This environment just did not fit our relaxing vacation in Jasper. To make matters worse, the price above did not include breakfast. We were very pissed about this because 235 USD can get you a 4-star hotel room elsewhere. In conclusion, I would definitely not return to this hotel and would recommend other travelers to avoid the hotel unless it charges for less than 150 USD for the same room.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Spruce Grove, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

A little late with this review but we enjoyed our annual ski trip to Marmot by staying again at the Jasper Inn. I have been faithfully going there since 1986 and it just keeps getting better. Previous comments about cleanliness have me scratching my head, since I have never had a messy room and if I ever needed something, it was always delivered promptly with a smile. I have been moving up from the standard rooms to the loft suites and now really enjoy the Maligne Suites. I have stayed twice in the Tower Suite since it our favourite. A king size bed in a tower loft with three sides all windows looking out over the buildings to the mountains. You can't beat that suite.
We love the pool area at the Jasper Inn. They have spent a lot of money over the years keeping it in topnotch shape and the place is always inviting and relaxful. Little kids love it due to the small warm pool next to the big pool and the king size (club shape) hot tub is always just the right temperature and fits everyone who wants in. The dry sauna and steam sauna are the best in town. the pool area has lots of room at the entrance for little ones and their parents and the deep end, around 6 feet is perfect for floating and relaxing looking out at the mountain tops and watching the snow come down outside.
The restaurant and lounge are dependable and well priced. No real need to travel or walk downtown since the variety is great. We love the breakfast buffet with the hot and cold choice which are priced differently. I recognize the serving staff over the years and they are always pleasant and prompt with the coffee refills. The dining room was upgraded over the last year and remains current and elegant while allowing a casual, mountain theme to be maintained.
With the addition of the Best Western chain to this hotel, they finally got wireless internet into the rooms versus always going down to their business centre. A much welcome service that is needed in this day and age. My wife is always busy with her job on the computer and without the internet she cannot keep in touch with her departments.
A big thank you to Shawnee, the best General Manager in Jasper for always being there and keeping the place working great. From the front counter staff to the cleaning staff, all do their job very well and are pleasant to deal with.
We stay away from Jasper during the busy summer months to make way for the tourists. Fall, spring and especially winter are great times to be in Jasper. Jasper is not commercialized like Banff and the natural wonders around Jasper have more to see than Banff. If you love hiking, Jasper is the place to be. We hiked around part of the shore of Maligne Lake last year and were awe struck of the scenery and pictures around each bend. The water is crystal blue and I have to come back and do some fishing, it is one of the best lakes in Alberta for trout. The boat rides down Maligne Lake to Spirit Island is a must do when visiting Jasper. It makes you proud to be a Canadian.
Thanks again, Best Western Jasper Inn, see ya this fall.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
North Yorkshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

I too can endorse the comment which I have just read about the couple who when pulling up at the Inn, as both me and my husband were quietly cringeing thinking it looked like some highway motel. However when we checked into our room we were very pleasantly surprised! It had a nice upstairs bedroom area with skylights in the loft and that made the accommodation for us have that welcoming feel. We had a small kitchenette area and our own kettle - so we could make a cup of tea (had to use perculators to heat the water previously!) We did ask the staff to order a cab to collect us to board the rocky mountaineer but as no cab turned up, it looks like she had forgotten to do that but overall, a lovely, welcoming stay and we would most certainly like to return. We used the Irish Bar in Town. Found the town shops a little repetitive and perhaps like those you would see in Blackpool, although there are a couple nice shops selling unusual gifts to take home. Saw our first (and only) black bear in the wood down by the Esso Garage at the end of Town. Love Jasper - Its a wonderful place full of wonderful people. Everyone is just so very friendly - but didnt stop to talk to the black bear though! Happy holidaying!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

We stayed at the Jasper Inn 3 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it so couldn't wait to stay there again, oh dear what a mistake, The first this was our travel agent had told us the hotel would pick us up from the railway station on arrival, wrong, because we were travelling independently and not a group they didn't want to know despite their brochure saying they did, then the room we were allocated was awful, right next to the back entrance where the smoking area is and where the coach parties congregate for their departure, we can't sleep with the windows open so we had a party of about 30 Germans outside our room at 7.30am with people smoking and a coach with its engine running for about half an hour with all the fumes coming into our room.. This was only for one night so we put up with it but we were due to return to the Inn for another 3 night later on. I mentioned the room to the receptionist on our return and she said ok and anyway they didn't have any coach parties in that night, and she gave us a room just 2 doors down from the original room, what she didn't tell us was that they did have coach parties in for the other 2 nights. We found the reception staff very unhelpful and unfriendly. The room housekeeping was virtually non existent, all they did was pull the douvet over the crumpled sheets underneath, they didn't even go in the bathroom, our wet towels were just where we had left them in the morning.
The breakfast was terrible, both myself and my Husband felt ill after one breakfast so we avoided the restaurant for all other meals. All this and it cost us over 273 CAD per night for perhaps the worst room in the hotel and anywhere in Canada. Unfortunately for us our holiday had all been booked and paid for in the UK so we had no choice but to put up with it but we certainly will not be going back, The goods points - they now have high speed internet in the rooms and we had a fridge.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Jasper Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!