“Great for a family” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tonquin Inn

You added Tonquin Inn to your Saves list
Tonquin Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Juniper St, Jasper, Jasper National Park, Alberta T0E 1E0, Canada   |
Special Rate
Stay from $89 per night
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
Edmonton, Canada
“Great for a family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We booked a kitchenette with 2 queen beds. The girls at the front desk were friendly and check-in went smoothly. Our room was clean and had the kitchen in the middle so it was a nice separation from the back bedroom. We brought our own food to cook to save on the restaurant bills. I would suggest bringing your own frying pan as they only supply one and it is not a non stick pan. Also bring paper towels and a sharp knife.
When we were there the hot tubs were hot and the swimming pool was fine.
The only thing stopping me from giving this place a 5 is the very thin walls. You can hear the people in the suite next to you if they are loud. You also hear the people walking past your door in the morning.
The back bedroom has less noise. We put the boys in there and they said they could not hear anything. We stay up late so the noise did not bother us except in the morning. Bring ear plugs if you like to sleep past 6.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without someone beside you if possible.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
The Tonquin team would like to thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your stay with us. We are glad that you and your family enjoyed our kitchnette room. I have forwarded your comments to my Executive Housekeeper to ensure that all of our kitchenette rooms are up to our equipment standards. All of the staff and myself hope that you were able to take home fond memories of your stay with us and we look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Hinton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We recently stayed with friends at the Tonquin Inn over New Years. The hotel was ok. It wasn't terrible, but it also wasn't great.

The beds were comfy and clean. There was a microwave available if requested, although we didn't need one.

The room was clean when we checked in, but was never really cleaned through the duration of our stay. With the snow and ice the parking lot was sanded, and with this being a motel, you track in alot of sand/dirt into the rooms. We always left our shoes near the front door, but the carpets were full of rocks and sand. which isn't great when you get out of the shower...

The hot tubs and pool were dirty with lots of sand.
The outdoor hot tub desperately needed water, and there was one time when the hot tub was COLD! at 4pm after returning from skiing. The front desk staff advised they had just filled it, even though this could have been done when the pool is closed at night.

The staff was friendly, and the hotel is a good location with walking distance to shops, but we probably would try another hotel next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
I am glad to see that your stay "wasn't terrible" but I am disappointed to hear that your stay was not great. New Year's is an extremely busy time at the hotel. For the safety of our guests and my staff, during winter months we need to use sand, etc. which presents challenges especially with exterior entry into our rooms. I am sorry that the housekeeping was not up to par and will definitely address this with my Executive Housekeeper. I have also forwaded your comments to my Maintenance Manager regarding the outdoor hot tubs. Thank you for your feedback and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
Edmonton, AB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Busy check in but all good. Came back down as the keys didn't work but quickly solved.
Clean and quiet up stairs.
Noticed tub plug was missing and help staff replaced within 15min.s
Polite counter staff.
Would return again.
Friend was not used to having sink outside from tub and toilet. Can see sink by beds. Minor.
Will come bk if we ever are in Jasper.
Good rate.
At end of Jasper town but so easy to walk to all restaurants/shops.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for submitting your feedback about your recent stay with us. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay. I am especially delighted to hear about the service you received from my staff and I will definitely forward your comments to them. We look forward to hosting your again during your next visit to Jasper.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Our overall experience:
The good:
- clean beds, pillows
- free, fast wifi

The bad:
- unwelcoming and awkward front desk experience
- paper thin walls (can hear guests in their rooms and in the hallways)
- very small and old bathroom
- cold (unregulated temperature) shower
- indoor pool and hot tub were freezing (women's locker room floor was flooded)
- extremely busy (small) outdoor hot tubs
- restaurant isn't open in the mornings
- expensive for what you get

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
I am disappointed to hear of the issues you had during your recent stay with us. Although your overall experience was good, there were some negatives. As you can appreciate, the Xmas holidays are extremely busy for all of the hotels in Jasper causing challenges with some of our amenities. I am sorry that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay. Your comments have been shared with my management team. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have an opportunity to host you again in the near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Every time my family and I travel to Jasper for skiing, hockey, or through Jasper (as we have a new 6 month old daughter and the 8 hour trip to Kamloops is a little long for a one day adventure) we stay at the Tonquin Inn. We have been staying here for the past 3 years and enjoy the hotel set up; and of course the price.

The rooms are nice, the beds are great, and the showers are hot after a day of hiking, skiing, or travel. Internet is good, and free!

Keep in mind Jasper is an old town which hasn't seen any new development (I'm speculating but decades???) due to it being in a national park.

Agreed, the parking can be a hassle and the walls are a little thin during ski season but if you have been to any resort during the height of ski season, you will find Jasper significantly more relaxed.

Room Tip: As for a lower level room close to the outdoor hott tub and sauna or close to the pool. The single k...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Tonquin Inn. It is great to hear that we are your property of choice when visiting Jasper. Nice rooms, great beds and showers are a few of our many selling points. All of my staff and myself hope that you will always take home fond memories of your stays with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Tonquin on your next visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

We have been staying at this hotel for 4 years now every time we go to Jasper. It is extremely good value for the room prices, and is always clean. The rooms have been renovated and now all have flat screen tv's and new furniture. The hot tubs are great, and we love that they are outdoors! It's about three blocks from downtown, but the walk is always good to help work off the food/drinks from town!

We stayed there this weekend while skiing and noticed that our room was a little chilly, and the air from the vent was cool coming out (instead of warm). After playing with the heat controls for a bit we spoke to the front desk, who called maintenance right away. The problem was fixed within 20 minutes! (Fastest I've ever experienced!) we've never had a problem with the Tonquin to date, and this one was resolved hassle free an quickly.

We've brought friends here to stay and recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed December 2012
A many repeat guest - this is awesome! It's always a pleasure to hear positive comments about out property in particular about our renovated rooms and cleanliness. I am glad to see that maintenance was able to quickly fix the heating problem for you. Thank you for sharing your experience and for recommending the Tonquin Inn. Please contact me directly for your next visit so that I can personally look after the reservation for you.
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed in the king size bedroom 3 weeks ago and were very impressed with the renovations made to the room. Extremely comfortable bed, mondern furniture, flat screen tv, small but funtional bathroom.
The room was small but very well docorated and cozy. We were also very happy with the outdoor hot tub and quality of service at the front dest. I would recommend this hotel to other's and plan to book again this weekend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for submitting your review of your stay at the Tonquin Inn. I am happy that you were impressed with our renovations and that you would recommend our hotel. I am especially happy that you received excellent service from my front desk staff and will definitely pass on your comments to them. I look foward to welcoming you back to the Tonquin Inn in the near future. Please contact me directly so i can make the reservation for you.

Been to Tonquin Inn? Share your experiences!