“Lovely one night stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tonquin Inn

You added Tonquin Inn to your Saves list
Tonquin Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Juniper St, Jasper, Jasper National Park, Alberta T0E 1E0, Canada   |
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
Adelaide, Australia
“Lovely one night stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed for only one night in a queen size room which looked to have been recently renovated. The room was small, but enough for one night and very clean. The gentleman that checked us in was lovely! He was able to provide some great information of the local area for us and told us of all the facilities at the hotel. The bed was comfy and we didn't hear any noise from other rooms. A lovely experience in Jasper.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
It;s always a pleasure to hear positive comments about the property in particular our renovated rooms, cleanliness and our friendly staff. I will be sure to share your comments with my Front Desk and my Housekeeping Department. All of my staff and myself hope that you were able to take home found memories of your visit to Jasper and your stay at the Tonquin Inn.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
GB
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

When we got to the hotel at around eight both receptionists seemed to be quite fed up with all tourists and we got no other information than our room number. Next morning morning we found out that there was a restaurant serving also breakfast right next to the hotel, at that time we had already searched for one in the center (about one kilometer from the hotel). We payed another visit to the reception asking for other services and possible tips for our stay and this time we got a map of the area and basicly a suggestion to study it ourselves. Finally for the pros... the room was nice and quiet, small though, and location was ok though we were in the very eastern tip of town.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing the experience you had at the Tonquin Inn. I am glad that you enjoyed your room. I am, however, very disappointed about the service you received from my Front Desk staff. This is not the level of guest service I expect from my staff and I will definitely address this with my front desk department. Please be sure to contact me directly for your return visit and I will be sure to personally look after your reservation for you.
Salem
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We had corner unit with the step down living room. There was a real fireplace with couple of logs which we actually used. There is refrigerator and our kind size bed was superb. Although there was remodeling going one during our stay, our unit was very quiet. We were in Jasper during the longest day of the year and it was fascinating to join people strolling at 11 pm twilight.
We received breakfast coupons for the adjacent restaurant. The breakfast buffet was surprisingly good, and well stocked. Luckily, we came in quite early, and just as we walked back to our table with loaded breakfast plate, the tour busses (yes, plural) arrived. The line was formed immediately, and there was no way to get any toast or whatever one forgot without cutting in line.
On the way out of town we found Bear Paw Bakery with excellent sandwiches to go.

Room Tip: Try the corner unit on the ground floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
It's nice to see that you enjoyed our visit to Jasper. Jasper is a beautiful town and great for strolling at night. Did you know that Jasper has been designated as a Dark Skies Preserve, which is celebrated with a festival in October ? Our Junior Suites, all have fireplaces for guests to enjoy and we always get positive comments about our beds - very comfy! I look forward to your next visit.
Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Staff are very friendly, the hotel has good facilities, gym, hot pool etc. The rooms are quite good however the bathroom toilet is pretty small and it seems almost an afterthought. We got the rooms at around $120 a night so can’t complain for what we got.

Room Tip: Try and avoid a room with 2 x double beds and see if you can get 2 queen beds.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Elisabeth B, Front Office Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
I appreciate your comments and feedback and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the staff and the great facilities we have at the hotel. Your point about the size of the room is well taken. We have many different room configurations and the staff is always available to explain the differences to ensure that we meet our guest's expectations. We look forward to serving you again on your next visit to Jasper. Please contact me directly to that I can personally look after your reservation for you.
Rocky Mountain House, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I booked this hotel over expedia and originally booked a King Standard. However they had changed it to a Queen and I started out a bit peeved. Then we saw the room. It was a suite, complete with kitchen and living area. Yeah, I was no longer peeved. It was one of their remodeled rooms.

The staff was professional and nice.

Breakfast was so-so, fairly typical cafeteria style. Eggs were very strange.

One of the drawbacks was they wanted a credit card for checking in. Since I'm going completely credit card free, this is an issue. They wouldn't take a debit card (which was strange) and I didn't think about offering a cash deposit. This is a deal breaker, so I hope if I book another room, they will work with me.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I am glad to hear that we were able to accommodate you and that you enjoyed the upgrade that you were given. The suite you were in is one of my favourites. It is standard practice to ask for a credit card when making a reservation and upon check-in. We do accept cash at check-in but also require that a deposit be taken at the same time. I am somewhat surprised that you were not offered this option and will definitely address this with my Front Desk staff. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit and yes - we will accept cash. Please contact me direclty so that I can personally make your reservation for you.
Edson, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I frequent Jasper quite often and decided on a last minute trip to enjoy Jasper in the fall. We always stay at the Tonquin and didn't even think to pre-book because we thought it would be slow, since it was late September. When we arrived there was one room left and the Manager was able to save it for us, or we would have had to return home. We always enjoy the hot tubs, either the 2 outdoor or the pool and indoor hot tub, along with the indoor saunas. This hotel is our little retreat away from home. The staff have always been so friendly and helpful and the amenities available for the price is amazing!! We are looking forward to ski season as this hotel is our absolute favorite out of all the ones I have stayed with in Jasper. I have been coming here for over 5 years and it has been great every time!!

Room Tip: Haven't had a bad room yet and I have stayed on every angle/block of rooms in the Tonquin. Howev...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Tonquin Inn. We appreciate your comments and I am delighted to see that we are your “little retreat away from home”. Please be sure that you contact me directly for your next visit to Jasper and I will personally take care of your reservation for you.
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We had rooms booked as part of wedding group and had been told that early check-in would not be a problem. So getting there around noon, imagine our surprise when our rooms were not available, and in fact would not be available until 4pm (the wedding started at 2:30 pm). The front desk manager was not helpful at all in finding another room for us, stating only that the group manager should not have offered us early check in and there wasn't much he could do about it since the rooms weren't cleaned yet. It would have been nice if he suggested to the cleaning crew to clean those rooms next, or maybe to have us in the next rooms to be cleaned, but apparently neither of these were options.

My friend suggested maybe we could use the pool change room to get ready for the wedding since we didn't have anywhere else and the front desk allowed us to do so. Good thing we didn't need an iron. We eventually got to check in when we got back from the wedding at 1am. Of course you can hear everything going on around you - good thing the heating/ac unit is so loud it drowns out all other noise.

For $200 a night, I would expect better customer service, or in fact any kind of customer service, rather than a response of "Nothing we can do, here's a key to the pool change room. Give it right back."

Really disappointing experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
I am disappointed to hear about the experience you had during your recent stay with us. Unfortunately we are unable to guarantee early arrival especially during high demand periods. However, the manner in which the situation was handled is not the standard of service I expect for my guests. We take the comfort of our guests and their requests very seriously and I have addressed this with my Front Desk and Housekeeping Departments. All of the staff and management hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you on a return visit.

Been to Tonquin Inn? Share your experiences!