“Loved it!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 77 restaurants in Jasper
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Happy to announce that Syrahs of Jasper is re-open under new Chef/Owner Jason Munn. Come and try our playful, inspired menu while enjoying our friendly, relaxed atmosphere. "Inspired Food, Exceptional Wine. Friendly, Sincere Service"
Edmonton
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This place was phenomenal! Small and cozy but comfortable. Interesting way to choose your wine for dinner: by sampling. I hate wine but thought it was a great idea.

We had a reservation for 8:30 and stayed until 11. It was like an event.

Service was excellent! Our waitress apparently only fills in occasionally (believe she is a realtor) but she was so great. Friendly and talkative and seems to love being there. Such a nice change from the overall attitude in Jasper service.

We had the mussels for an appetizer. Excellent. We had 2 free baskets of bread to dip into the mussel sauce. Delish. Really wanted to try the cheese fondue but thought we would end up too full. Our waitress even brought by the fondue before she took it to the table for us to see the portion size.

I had the Bison Ribs . . . interesting. I was going for something I hadn't tried before. Sort of just tasted like roast beef, good roast beef, but still just roast beef. Tried my friend's spazali (?) and enjoyed those more than my potatoes.

Such an excellent selection on such a small menu . . . we really had a hard time choosing.

The coffee was really good too. Our waitress topped us off a few times and made sure we felt as though we could stay all night.

It was a fun and tasty experience.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

89% Recommend
Edmonton, Canada
“Mixed Experiences”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We'll give you two reviews based on two separate experiences. First, my wife and I had a pleasant experience dining out on Monday night in January 2013. Service was excellent as Matt allowed us to select any table we wanted. He reviewed the menu and assisted us on a wine selection. Had the Bison Ribs and wife had vegitarian nepolean . Both dishes were prepared very well and were good portions. Restaurant has about 45 seats in total so nice quiet, quaint place and it was not busy. Second experience was quite different... I recommended this restaurant to my daughter who visited the Saturday following our visit. Two couples reserved a table in advance and arrived 1/2 hour early. They were asked to come back at time of reservation even though their table was free(?). They ordered appetizers and selected their wine. As soon as they were ready to order their meals, they were out of 2 of the entres (Bison Ribs and Veal). As a courtesy, this should have been brought to their attention in advance, before any commitment to entres or wine selection. The 2 items represent 20% of the items on the menu! Not sure if age was a factor here as the two couples were in their 20's and may not have been taken seriously. At the end of the day, you want to be treated with respect regardless of age. I rate this restaurant as average based on our experience (would have rated the experience 4/5) but my daughters experience fell well short of satisfactory. If you decide to go, you want Matt to serve you and ask in advance if there are any issues with the menu.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Coni B, Owner at Syrahs of Jasper, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
I was sorry to hear that your daughters experience at Syrahs was not as positive as your dining experience was earlier.
Sometimes certain dishes in our small restaurant can get sold out as was the case that nite with a large group in earlier.
I apologize for this and I hope in the future we will have the opportunity to serve you again. I feel their server understood their disappointment and did her best to rectify it.

Sincerely
Coni Bowen
Owner
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Fine dining in Jasper”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Excellent in every way. Food fresh, service good, atmosphere good. Small restaurant, very intimate. We had a window table.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Denali Park, AK
“Most creative menu in Jasper”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

My husband and I pass through Jasper twice a year, but this is the first time we noticed Syrah's, and we're so glad we did! The creative menu choices - much different than the standard pseudo-Greek fare you'll find on most menus around town - drew us in. We tend to eat organic and vegetarian, and while this place didn't specify organic, it had plenty of healthy and interesting choices. Our waiter gave excellent service: just the right amount of conversation and checking in with us, while still giving us space to enjoy our meal. We shared a Cesar salad (nothing too special, but the dressing was good) and lobster ravioli (light and smooth; only three pieces with some vegetable garnish, but worth it to have a taste without overeating) for starters, while enjoying a lovely glass of malbec. The main course was a "Vegetable Nepolean", which consisted of two layers of risotto with a swiss cheese mixture (I don't usually like swiss, but this was terrific, and not overdone), interspersed with slices of eggplant, mushroom, and peppers grilled to perfection. The texture of the vegetables was impeccable, with a slight smoky taste of the grill, but not overpowering; it still tasted very fresh, and the balance of flavours was just right. It was topped off with a balsamic reduction - like swiss cheese, I don't usually care much for balsamic, but this was very good. After a complimentary almond cookie, we paid for our dinner and proceeded to go across the hall to Syrah's wine cellar.

We went to the wine shop to get a price point on the malbec we'd had with dinner (ended up being a $15 bottle, when it was $10/glass in the restaurant, but I suppose that's to be expected), but the proprietor engaged us in conversation, telling anecdotal histories of different wine varieties after having offered us a sample (to see what we thought, without telling us what it was at first) of what turned out to be a $70 bottle of wine! At closing time, we left with two bottles of new wines to try, and a promise on our lips to come to tripadvisor to share our experience. And I'm glad he asked us to; I'm happy to sing the acclaim of this little gem - definitely a must for anyone vegetarian/vegan/gluten free/etc or just looking for a creative, healthy choice in this town, and a welcome addition and change from standard tourist town fare.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Very good restaurant for fish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

This restaurant has a lovely cosy atmosphere and the staff are very friendly. Luckily we weren't in any hurry as we arrived just after quite a large group so had to wait quite a while for both our starters and mains. However the staff did make us aware of it which was good. As for the food, the meat dishes were good but we would definitely recommend the fish at this restaurant. We ordered the lobster ravioli as a starter and Arctic Char for a main - Both were fantastic!

• Visited September 2012