“Very good meal” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
London
“Very good meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had a lovely meal here on the recommendation of a local and enjoyed a nice evening. Good service and atmosphere.

Visited June 2013

Edmonton, Canada
“Great tapa bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in for a late afternoon snack and really enjoyed the different yet delicious appetizers. The bar tender even put together a great alcoholic free drink for my pregnant wife who missed her cup of wine.

Visited July 2013
Show Low, Arizona
“Nice dinner in Jasper”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This restaurant had good food, generous portions (we had the leftovers for dinner the following night), and a decent selection of beer and wine by the glass. It's somewhat more upscale than some of the restaurants in town, but still casual enough for jeans or hiking clothes.

Visited July 2013
Blue River, Canada
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were recommended by the owner of the accommodation we were staying at as well as a couple that we golfed with earlier on in the day. So we decided to make a reservation at the Olive Bistro and try it out.

We were certainly not disappointed! We had a wonderful dining experience from the start to finish. We were seated by the window with a great view and promptly brought water. My wife ordered the strawberry basil mojito and I opted for a glass of the house draft. Both were very tasty. We started with mussels and fries, they were cooked perfectly in a creamy garlic sauce and served with home-cut potatoes. I ordered the lamb shank and my wife ordered the duck, both were presented nicely and tasted delicious. The duck was served with a potato croquette that was shaped as a pear, we thought that was very creative and my wife said it was tasty as well. We enjoyed a nice bottle of wine with dinner which was very reasonably priced. To finish off a wonderful meal we shared a piece of chocolate truffled cake....it was delicious!
We highly recommend the Olive Bistro. We will be back!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Extremely disappointing all around”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

OK, so this is my first ever negative review. I am giving the Olive only 1 star despite the fact our server really did try hard. We assumed she was new and tried to give her the benefit of the doubt. If not, she was a terrible server. She returned to the table 4 times to confirm our drink orders and still brought my sister white wine when she had ordered red. We thought perhaps a simple mistake, but things only got worse as time wore on. New server or not, our guess was that there were some major issues going on in the kitchen. Aside from the server's efforts, the evening was all around dismal despite having gotten two separate recommendations that this was a really lovely place with terrific food. Our first mistake apparently was heading out to dinner so late in the evening--we went out around 9:30; we had been warned to expect longer wait times at that late hour. But really, if a restaurant is open they should be prepared to serve decent food at any time, especially at these prices. Or limit your menu at a later hour. We were seated on the patio, by request. Had we known that we would be sitting next to an old rusty grill and several propane tanks, along with some random boards, perhaps we would have opted for indoor seating. Our table had no silverware, napkins, salt, pepper, etc. Essentially it was empty. And stayed that way. I ordered soup and salad. I would have thought I'd be offered one as an appetizer (it was not a combo type meal.) But they both came at the same time as everyone's meals which was at least 45 minutes after we ordered, probably longer. Neither was anything to write home about. The soup was barely lukewarm. My sister was really looking forward to her lamb appetizer but would later confess it was the one of the worst things she had ever eaten; in fact the whole evening was one of the worst restaurant experiences she had ever had. My husband's burger was cooked beyond recognition and was close to inedible. I understand that they have to cook burgers well done in Alberta...Downstream Bar and Grill a few nights later did a stellar job keeping the burger juicy and delicious despite having to serve it well done...check them out. Our local B&B host was shocked to hear about our negative experience at the Olive. So maybe a fluke but overall I cannot recommend this place at all. We'll never go back.

• Visited June 2013