“Mixed bunch” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chateau Jasper

You added Chateau Jasper to your Saves list
Chateau Jasper
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   96 Geikie St, Jasper, Jasper National Park, Alberta T0E 1E0, Canada   |
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
Suffolk
“Mixed bunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2006

I liked this hotel although some of our group had very different feelings however I found everything to my liking. The service was good, the bedroom was spacious and the food was excellent. However to get good food you had to eat early. Without exception everyone who ate around 6.00pm had wonderful food but those that left it until 8.00pm were VERY disappointed so my advice is to eat early!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Napa, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2006

What a dump!

To call this property a chateau is a blatant falsehood. Chateau Jasper is not just overpriced—it is misrepresented, billing itself a luxury accommodation. No effort has been spared by the management to economize—at the expense of their guests.

The property appears to have been built in the 1960s to mid-70s, and there has been no attempt to maintain the motel. The carpeting on the elevator door is ripped at the threshold, causing a tripping hazard. The room’s furniture appeared original to the building, showing many scratches, chips, and stains. The bathroom has never been updated—the faux-marble counters are very low, a style popular 30-40 years ago, but one which requires a person of average height to bend uncomfortably to brush their teeth or wash their face. The tile is cracked and dirty, and grout has been replaced in spots by white caulk; the plastic walls of the tub are scratched and worn. The porcelain trays holding shampoo, etc. are chipped, and the small towels are shabby. The beds were firm and comfortable, but the bedding was very tattered. Adding to the décor were patched and unpainted holes in the hallway walls.

The air conditioner didn’t work; the maintenance man told us the units were so old that parts were no longer made. He replaced a drive belt with an O-ring as a temporary expedient; the air conditioner rattled all night, making it difficult to sleep. We asked the front desk staff if our room was unusually problematic, and they responded that it was the same as all the others.

During our two-day stay, the fire alarm went off randomly, and the front desk staff didn’t know why—this seems a regular occurrence; see the other TripAdvisor ratings. There was no hot water for a day.

We booked through Orbitz, which rates Chateau Jasper a 4-star property. Orbitz’s description of the property (written by the hotel itself) is simply untrue:

"Within the town site of Jasper, we are the only 3-Diamond AAA/CAA award winning property. (NOT TRUE—THERE ARE SEVERAL) We offer fine accommodations and amenities (UNTRUE) complemented by personable staff who always extend a warm and sincere welcome.
Each of our 119 deluxe guest rooms and suites are beautifully appointed (UNTRUE) and retains the charm you would expect to find in a home in the majestic Rockies. (YOU’D HAVE TO THINK MOTEL 6 CHARMING—IT’S AN UPGRADE FROM CHATEAU JASPER).
Enjoy dining in Sorrentinos Dining Room or unwind after a day of skiing in our indoor swimming pool and whirlpool spa.
We are certain that the Chateau Jasper standards of service will bring you back time and time again."

In my opinion, Orbitz and other travel agents are complicit in this fraud, perhaps because of fat commissions paid by Decore Hotels (their other Jasper properties are dumps, too—look at user ratings at TripAdvisor and other sources). The four-star rating on the Orbitz site is a barefaced lie; of the four photos posted on the site, only one is of a guest room, and the photo is dark and carefully contrived to hide an appalling lack of maintenance and cleanliness. I’ve posted photos, which actually make the room look much better than it is. Chateau Jasper appears to survive on unsuspecting tour groups (whose operators must be able to negotiate dirt-cheap prices for this hovel), as well as individual tourists. Repeat customers must be desperate, intellectually bereft, or perhaps nonexistent.

The falsification of Chateau Jasper’s quality points out the uselessness of travel guides like AAA/CAA (which gives the property a 3-star rating), the self-serving distortions of ratings at online travel sites like Orbitz, and the importance of unbiased user ratings. Had we looked at TripAdvisor first, we never would have booked this dump.

• Stayed May 2006
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2006

I used there online booking system and got a room booked for two nights, even got a confirmation email for the booking. When we arrived they had no record of my booking!!! Luckily they had rooms available and they were $30 cheaper than the online price of $140 per night.

The rooms were clean, but very very dated. The furniture wasn't antique looking, just old. Bathroom was clean, but very small.

The beds were the worst. I have never slept on such an uncomfortable bed in my life. We left after two nights with back pains.

On top of that, they failed to mention to us at check in that their bar/cafe was under construction and that there was no where on the premises to get a drink or bight to eat.

One thing we learnt, never book a place that has little to no photos on the website. This place is certainly far from being a "chateau". Would not recommend this place, not even at the price of $120; I sure would have been pretty annoyed if I had been charged $140 a night.

• Stayed April 2006
Edmonton,Alberta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2006

We booked a month early,talked to the staff re-email,many times,about staying for 2 nights!! after one night,we went sight seeing,and arrived back at the hotel,to be told someone else had booked that room for the night!We had paid $237 Cdn. anight so I wasnt impressed!The place was 95% unoccupied!
In the end we did get the second night.The jacuzzi suite was spacious- nice sized Jacuzzi,King bed,50" Tv with movies etc.The pool and hot tub were right outside the window!
One complaint ,there was No fan in the bathroom,and the toilet was in the middle of the room,surrounded by a 30" tiled wall,not in a seperate room!The shower was small,but the soaps, swan shaped towels etc.were a nice touch!
The "underground parking" was in full view of the main laundry room used by staff,we were a bit afraid they might hit the car w/ a laundry cart!We didnt eat here but went out to L+W restaurant,where the food is good,and the staff and ambiance(tropical plants,large windows, etc) are always welcome!!

magheralin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2005

on arrival for a 4day stay the staff appearred friendly and the rooms were very comfortable.On arrival I reported the table lamp broken which was still not repaired when we left it only needed a bulb? On our return(77 people) from an all day tour of banff @8.10pm we came down to dinner @ 8.30pm to find the dinning room and bar closed. Yet the hotels information booklet stated that dinning room closed at 9.30pm, the bar was closed every night before 9pm!!!!!! If customers were in the bar they were asked to leave as the staff were closing the bar they than locked the bar area and we had no communnual place to sit we had to sit in our rooms when the point of a tour is to met people. Breakfast was cereal or fruit & toast, no bread variety or cheese or meats which is normal in continental breafasts. This hotel stated they were short of staff!!!! and did not appear to want to make money.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2005

I had high expectations of the Chateau Jasper, and it lived up to some of them. A very nice lobby, facilities, and a clean, but not exeptional room.

The ice machine down the hall did not work, and the over priced movie selection was very clunky to order from.

The restaurant was nice, but grossly overpriced.

I might stay at $80 per night, but any more is too much for this hotel. They need up update the decor and get more comfortable beds.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2005

We stayed at this property October 2005 and I have to say although the decor may not be for everyone this was the first time I was ever satisfied with a hotel bed.

I have had a terrible back injury - my back hurts on my own bed at home and I thought I bought the best bed on the market for my back but I still wake up at 4am with terrible pain.

When I woke up at 8 am that morning in Jasper it was in disbelief when I told my husband that I slept through the night and had "No Back Pain!" I called the Housekeeper and she said they just bought new beds this year and they spared no expence. She is getting me the brand so I can buy one for my home.

So if you sometimes have your holidays ruined by pain and headaches from cheap hotel beds you have to stay at the Chateau Jasper and get ready for the best sleep of your life! The pool is spectacular as well, great high cielings - very hot whirlpool. When we come back we will stay no where else - I would not take the risk that another hotel might not have this level of quality bed - it would'nt be worth it to me to risk it.

I wanted to say a special thank you to the staff member Heidi and the front desk girl Sarah who were both a delight and tried to find out the brand of bed for me.

Kathy

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Chateau Jasper? Share your experiences!