“Family Ski Weekend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maligne Lodge

You added Maligne Lodge to your Saves list
Maligne Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   912 Connaught Dr., Jasper, Jasper National Park, Alberta T0E 1E0, Canada   |
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
Sherwood Park, Canada
“Family Ski Weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

This is the third year in a row that we have used this hotel. We love it! Perfect for families. Great pool and hot tub. Friendly & helpful staff. The rooms are clean & warm and the beds are very comfortable. You could pay a lot more and get less. There is a suite that is above the check in desk. It is awesome, make sure to ask for it - if it is available. You won't be sorry. The breakfast was great, the kids loved it.

Room Tip: Rooms close to the pool.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

We went to Jasper on a ski weekend and there was 12 of us. The rooms were well equiped for what we needed. The hot tube was definately not big enough for a lodge that was full which was disappointing. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Would stay there again and recommend it to any one going to Jasper as a group or family.
One of the ladies was in a wheel chair and had no issues at all.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

This hotel got me the best rate among hotels so I decided to stay here.

Pros:
-Clean
-Very comfortable beds/pillows
-Friendly service

Cons:
-Shower temp - Shower would give extreme hot/cold spurts randomly and inconsistently, but often enough to make it annoying. Might go 1 min of regular temp then bam, super hot. At times it would fluctuate between luke warm and cold every 5 seconds for 5 minutes straight. Then back to reg temp for 1 minute, then scalding hot, and so on (randomly mind you). After a cold day of snowshoeing I just wanted to stand in a hot shower for a good 15-20 min but could not. Was pretty annoying.

-Room temp - At one point the temp in my room was 17 degrees. The heat was turned up but nothing doing. I ended up placing a towel at the bottom of the door as a lot of cold air was getting in via that route. That helped. Thank goodness the bed was comfy and warm!

-The free wifi was very slow and would disconnect/reconnect quite often. I tried watching a youtube vid and felt like I was back in the days of dialup! I ended up using the 3g on my phone instead.

These are things I could have gone to the desk with (and should have) but in my opinion there wouldn't have been much the hotel could have done to resolve the issues while I was there. Def should have said something though morning of leaving but it slipped my mind.

Room Tip: When you get into the room, see if theres a large crack under door to allow cold air in, run the sho...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

I got great deal on a mid week ski package for $122 after taxes, compared to the lowest price I could find online for a hotel in town was $89 plus tax for hotel only (plus $76 for lift pass).
The room was very clean and well furnished and maintained, most of the room was taken up by the very comfy king size bed, but it was still big enough for one. It is a motel style hotel, with the doors leading to outside instead of inside corridors, which was a little noisy, but as I'm a light sleeper I always make a habbit of sleeping with ear plugs. The pool and hot tub looked very nice and well maintained, I will remember to bring my bathing suit next time.
Overall its a great hotel for the money. Definately not 5 star but I've stayed in a lot worse for alot more.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

The following is from an email I wrote to Maligne lodge after a stay there in January 2012 - the final insult to the whole saga; they could not even be bothered to acknowledge my email or my concerns, be warned: I stayed at the lodge from January 2nd to January 5th. I was in Jasper to get married as I had pointed out at the time when I made my initial booking.
I had the misfortune however to be placed in Family Room 103, I was VERY disappointed with this room for the following reasons:
1) The back bedroom has no window to the out doors and it is extremely stuffy
2) The whole apartment was at 28C despite the heating being turned OFF
3) We had to have the ceiling fan going all night long which was noisy,creaky and completely ineffective
4) Due to the location next to the laundry there are water pipes right above the bedroom ceiling which have an airlock and bang and rattle every 11 minutes - yes I know this precisely as I spent a great deal of the night lying awake listening to them as the room was so stiflingly hot it was impossible to sleep !
The result - I had to get married after having barely any sleep. What is frustrating is that when one of the caretakers came around to take a look - and yes they acknowledged all of the 'known' problems - they said it was just a function of the room being next to the laundry and yes there had been complaints before. My question then, is why do you keep putting guests in this sub standard room and charging them the normal rates ?

When we got back from the wedding my husband asked if we could get a different room to sleep in (this would have minimised the fuss of all 4 of us that were staying in 103 having to move all of our belongings AGAIN) - but no, we were told that we would all have to vacate 103 and move to another suite. Although the room we moved to was significantly better, it did however mean that on my wedding day I had to waste an hour moving 4 people from one room to another.

Really, I do not think this level of customer service is good enough, nobody even apologised for all of the disruption caused. I would like to know what management has to say about this overall experience before I post this account on Trip Advisor which I think currently paints a rather too-rosy picture of your establishment.

............................. only radio silence ensued, hence the post .............................

Room Tip: This is very much a motel rather than a hotel - avoid the corner rooms by the laundry like the plagu...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

the rooms are clean and well set up, comfy king bed, fridge, pool, hot tub. The mid week price with lift tickets for Marmot was terrific. Location is a healthy walk from town centre, but a beautiful scenic walk too. Good and inexpensive breakfast available in the morning. The ski shuttle bus for marmot stops at the front door.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

this was my first visit to Jasper, and i stayed at the Maligne lodge a nice hotel in beautiful jasper, the indoor swimming pool is a bonus, i booked my room through the hotel directly the girl at the front desk was super helpful.
when i will revisit jasper Maligne lodge is my home

Room Tip: Book through the hotel you get a good deal.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Maligne Lodge? Share your experiences!