“VERY thin walls and ceiling.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Lobstick Lodge

Save Saved
You added Lobstick Lodge to your Saves list
Lobstick Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   94 Geikie St, Jasper, Jasper National Park, Alberta T0E 1E0, Canada   |
Ranked #14 of 17 hotels in Jasper
“VERY thin walls and ceiling.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in room 125, right next to the stairs and indoor pool. The noise from the room above us was very loud. Not that our neighbors were noisy, but rather you could hear them walking around through the ceiling. The hallways are cavernous echo chambers that carry noise through the entire level. For example, we could hear the knock on the door for a room service delivery at the other end of the hallway. Even normal hallway noise (both from our level and the one above) was quite loud in our room. Children running through the hall upstairs was thunderous. While the hotel itself is quite dated, the next remodel effort should be spent towards noise reduction. There is plenty enough width in the hallways to add at least 6" of noise-reduction building materials.

• Stayed January 2013
Brian_Higginson, Manager at Lobstick Lodge, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Suppobill,
Thank you for your comments and I am sorry you stay was not as enjoyable as it could have been. I appreciate your comment s and we will look into ways of reducing noise in both the short term and long term.

355 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Slave Lake, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We booked here after not being here for at least 15 years. I knew the hotel was an older one but had no idea that no upgrades have ever happened. I booked a kitchen suite as we are a family of 5 and thought instead of eating out we would buy groceries and cook in room. Also thought it would be big as we asked if lots of room for a playpen as we had a 9 month old. Well the part I liked was the room was right by the front doors and by office so it was close to unload and pack up. The staff was quick bringing things when needed but it seemed we always needed things!!!!
It was nosiy to be by front doors. Walls are paper thin could hear everything going on beside us, above us and under us:(
The room was not very clean as my baby found plenty of crumbs and such on floors crawling around and his clothes were filthy from being on the floor. Never had fresh towels always had to ask. No hood fan so cooking in room was pointless. Bathroom fan didn't work either. 2 double beds in one bedroom which was so small not enough room to put a play pen in so the playpen had to be in living area which was hard for my baby to sleep there with noise. The beds were so hard and uncomfortable and the first night one bed broke. The furniture in so outspdated, wore out and stained. I went to do a couple loads of laundry and one dryer was broke down so I had to wait for 1 load to dry to do the other it took 6 hrs to do 2 loads of laundry. Every time we went to a pop machine if the item we wanted was sold out it kept our money. The dinning place was ok but we had to wait 45 mins our first morning for pancakes. Don't eat supper there everything we ordered was so gross even the ceaser salad. The room stunk so bad no ventalation as we were not allowed to open windows. We went into pool and hot tubs first night and after all or bathing suits stunk so bad like stale beer I could of puked. We decided toleave a day earlier then booked and told them a over 24 hrs notice they Horace us a hard time on that. The parking sucks could never find a spot always had to walk. The kitchen table was broke the door handle on bathroom was falling off. I had my purse in a dresser drawer tucked under some clothes and when we returned back to room after being gone all day my purse handle was sticking out if drawer so I knew then someone had of been looking through my things. Will never stay here again and would never recommend this hotel ever.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Brian_Higginson, Manager at Lobstick Lodge, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
I am sorry this guest did not enjoy their stay with us.

It is unfortunate that this guest did not notice the renovations and upgrades we have done in the past 5 years alone, some of which are:

All guest room Bathrooms have been completely renovated.
All guest rooms have new bedcovers and brighter lighting
We are on a bed replacement program and most rooms have new beds, this project will be completed by November.
New flat screen TV’s in all rooms and we are currently replacing the 2nd TV’s in our Kitchen units with new flat screens.
All corridors have new carpet, wall covings and paint.
The pool area was completely renovated 4 years ago.
Two public washrooms on the 3rd. floor were completely renovated.

I am glad to hear that our staff was accommodating but we will work on improving the deficiencies that are noted and hope to do a better job should this guest wish to stay with us again.
Cambridgeshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We did not stay here but ate here one evening as we were given vouchers for 5% off. The food was clearly straight from the freezer to the fryer or ready packed. I asked for a small variation in my meal and was told "it comes like that and can't be altered" When the food arrived it was not nice, I left mine completely. To be fair they did not charge for my meal after I pointed out the inedidibility of the food! I can't review the hotel but I would not recommend eating at The Lobstick.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I've stayed at a number of hotels in the Jasper region and this one is OK. Not the worst, but by far not the best. It's pretty basic. The hotel was mostly clean, except for the hair on the floor in the bathroom (ewww), which we asked them to clean and they didn't in our two days there.

Quite frankly, it's not the kind of hotel you'll spend a lot of time in...which is perfect for Jasper, as the scenery is second to none. There are other places I've stayed at in Jasper, which are much nicer. This hotel would be nearly at the bottom of my list of places to stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Selborne UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed at Lobstick Lodge for 2 nights, booked by the travel agents. The reception staff were helpful, but this hotel is a mass of corridors and slightly dated. The stairs to the front door could be a problem for some visitors, there was a chair lift. My room was clean and well furnished, there was free internet in the reception area and WiFi throughour the hotel. Breakfast was good, but the breakfast room being rather on the small side, the staff could not wait to clear the tables, often before guests had finished so the next visitors could sit down. The Lodge was about a 15 minute walk into the small town of Jasper and it had a large car park.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We were booked into this hotel by our travel agents so thought it would be of a good standard.It is very dated. The room itself was OK but the corridors and other area needed a good clean. Litter had been left on the corridor carpet for two days before I picked it up.
As several coach companies us this hotel and have mainly elderly clients they should have people to help you up the entrance steps with luggage.We did not use the bar as there is no atmostphere.it as like a dated works canteen.
The good thing about this hotel is it is a 10min walk into town through a residential area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My wife and I (along with my son, his wife and mother in law) were due to stay here for 2 nights in late September. On arrival we were allocated 3 adjoining kitchenette rooms on the 3rd floor. Our room in particular, smelt strongly of what we think was stale food. We asked a member of the cleaning staff if he could assist - he came and sprayed Frabreeze around the room but it didn't really help. The room was not very clean. The vacuum cleaners they use do not clean the edges of the room properly, leaving a gray matted area about 1/2 inch wide around the edge of every carpet. It looked to consist of dead skin and other debris. The room also felt tired and uncared for. The beds had heavy covers, blankets and sheets. They need to change up to a duvet and washable cover. Due to the state of the room, we put all of the cases we didn't need in our car. We stayed the night and in the morning asked at reception for a change of room. After considering the alternatives we decided to stay. We went out for the day and returned after an evening meal to find that our room key wouldn't work. Reception sorted this and on entering our room we found it to be occupied by someone else. We returned to reception and asked what had happened. The management had decided that since we had no bags in the room we had checked out. We insisted that they find us an alternative room but they were full. They also said that most rooms in Jasper were also booked. They offered to locate a room in Hinton (direction Edmunton) until we informed them we were going towards Kamloops the next day. They said they would try Valemont them and offered to pay for a room in a motel there. We said we would speak to our family about the problem and it was only then that the duty manager realised we were travelling with others. To be fair, she then made arrangement for us to stay at the Fairmont Jasper Lodge and gave all of us complimentary full breakfast back at the Lobstick Lodge the following morning. We were not impressed by the hotel. It really does need a total refurbishment. It could only be said to be a below standard motel. The evening food in the restaurant was very average, of similar quality to a low cost UK pub chain. That said, the breakfast was OK on the day we we ate there.

The bedroom at the Fairmont was in another league.

We weren't particularly impressed with most of Jasper's hotel, many of which we checked out in an attempt to find alternative accommodation. The whole place is overpriced and not of a particularly high standard (although most of them were at least clean), perhaps, because they have a constant throughout of visitors doing the tour of the Rockies, I get the feeling they aren't trying very hard - the "we probably won't see you again" mentality.

If you have to go to Jasper, I would splash out and go somewhere like the Fairmont, some which could also do with an update, but which at least maintains a respectable standard that eludes many of the other premises in the town (and also has fresh duvets!).

Room Tip: Try somewhere else