“Lovely as usual!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge

You added Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge to your Saves list
Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Old Lodge Road Jasper, Jasper, Jasper National Park, Alberta T0E1E0 , Canada   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
40% OFF SPRING BREAK
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
GreenLeadersSilver level
Northern B.C.
“Lovely as usual!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We visited JPL last weekend. We’ve stayed at JPL many times (probably a dozen) before with our family, extended family and or friends. This time it was only my husband and I. We’ve always loved it at the resort as did our children and others we’ve enticed to visit. Our room was one of the lakeside suites with a fireplace. I think this type of room is my room of choice at the resort because of the beautiful bathrooms but my husband prefers the junior suite lakefront with the little fireplace in a small living room, they are just more quaint and fit the cabin motif a little better. It was very clean and well equipped. Because the weather was unseasonably warm we could walk to and from the lodge in comfort. The first thing we did was have a snack and the famous Mountain Caesar in the Emerald Lounge. The food was excellent. I’m not sure I love the changes made to the menu in the last couple years. It seems a little more limited than before and we asked and were unable to get our previous favorite, Westcoast Seafood Chowder. The fig brie and dips plate were very nice though. We had the breakfast buffet at Cavell’s both mornings and found it without flaw. Excellent Eggs Benedict and a huge selection of everything else you could want and with a beautiful view. The setting at the Lodge is so serene and relaxing. We barely left the resort. We’ve visited during all the seasons and although May and October are my favorite times to visit February is great too. It would be great to see the Lodges restaurants have a slightly more competitive and diverse menus. Although we did not visit Tent City it seems to be the only menu that has changed in this way.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
FairmontJPL, Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Hi North54, It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay, thank you for the comments. We have been making changes to our menu, so it’s always good feedback when we hear from our guests. We’re so glad you had a pleasant, relaxing time and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Next time, let us know you’re coming on Facebook /FairmontJasperParkLodge or Twitter @FairmontJPL so we can welcome you! Kind regards, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
Airdrie, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Hubby and I stayed here with friends on the weekend and I was sorely disappointed with the property as it was far below the expectations other Fairmont properties have set. The check in was efficient and courteous and we checked into our rooms. Hubby and I had 410 and our freinds were in 118, a junior suite. The first thing we noticed was how dated the rooms were, and not in a charming, heritage-property sort of way. It really is time for a reno at this property, and it's not just the standard rooms that need attention as the junior suite looked much the same. The heated tile floors were nice, but the rooms were out of date and could have been quieter. Over the course of 2 nights I was woken by partiers returning to their room, a crying baby next door, and a heater that seemed to kick into overdrive around 4am.

For a late dinner on Friday night we popped into Tent City for a bite and a drink. It took 30+ minutes for the server to even bring over water which is simply unacceptable! We were actually perusing the menu from the lobby bar and about to leave when he finally came by to take our order. At a Fairmont property, this is unforgivable.

After a long day of skiing on Saturday, hubby and I decided to enjoy the hot pool. Sadly, it wasn't hot, but warm, and there were dead bugs floating in it. In February! Disgusted, we left and I mentioned the insect issue to the pool attendant who shrugged and advised that it didn't really matter as the pool was being closed 15 minutes later for unscheduled maintenance. Again, the lack of customer service was stunning.

Lastly, when we checked out on Sunday morning, after the buffet breakfast, there was a fraudulent charge on my invoice with a time stamp that coincided with our dinner at Olive in Jasper town. The clerk did remove the charge without a fuss, but the rest of my folio took a follow up call of over 20 minutes to sort out as it was presented so poorly. It was during this call that I again mentioned the issue of the bugs in the pool, and sadly, it still wasn't addressed.

Having stayed at the Banff Springs, Chateau Lake Louise, and the Palliser in the past, I am well aware of the standard that the Fairmont chain is meant to uphold. The Jasper Park Lodge simply misses the mark. For the service, it is not worth the premium the resort charges and I will be exploring alternative options when I return to Jasper.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
FairmontJPL, Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Hi Nielsensmith, thank you for your comments. We sincerely apologize for the service issues you encountered - these are certainly not up to the high standards we strive to maintain. Your comments are valuable to us and we will follow up with our Food & Beverage and Recreation teams. We hope that next time you visit Jasper, we are able to welcome you back with attentive service and warm hospitality. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge.
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

stayed briefly for a meeting in jasper and this place "took my breath away". it may be rustic and outated but it definitely is a heritage property, a gem, old world charm! i loved the feel of wood and stone combined. expansive views of the mountain and the lake from the main lodge immediately welcome you to a uniquely serene world. staff were very friendly while maintaining professionalism and efficiency. they gave you just the right attention.... ubiquitous - there when needed but not in your face. they were very knowledgeable too of the products and services they offer and the area they are in making great recommendations. the pianist at the lobby was such a talent with 10,000 or so titles he could play. loved how he interacted with the guests and making sure that our requests were played. food indeed may be pricey, but hey quality doesnt come cheap. had here probably my best burger so far in canada. my lodge or suite was elegant....very comfortable bed and with luxurious amenities. loved the coffee maker specially. the only downside to my room was the anticlimactic toilet and bath as it didnt seem to complement the size and feel of the room. the heating kettle was a bit confusing as well. TV reception were intermittently good and bad. but, i wasnt here for Watching TV anyways. theres an awesome view outside my window. loved walking around too - it was easy despite the time of year as they had clean brick walking trails. i am sure that this place is a gem all year round. as such, i cant wait for the opportunity to see it during summer. with some refurb or restoration work, this grand dame can easily reclaim its grandeur.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
FairmontJPL, Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Hello islandyuppie, thank you for your kind comments. The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge is truly a unique vacation experience, and you’re right – it changes season to season. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay with us, we look forward to welcoming you again in the summer time! Kind regards, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge.
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

You pay a five star price and don't get me wrong the views and staff are five star but it was just missing something. We arrived at Jasper onboard the Canadian and saw a number of other passengers being collected by a van fromJasper Park Lodge, by the time we collected our bags the van had gone. Not to worry into a taxi for the short ride to the lodge. Upon arrival only one reservations officer was working so we were the last in line to be checked in, only a 10 minute wait so no issues. Found our room, very high bed and comfortable chairs, the bed tended to want to enshroud my husband and I and we woke numerous times to disentangle ourselves..got us giggling at least. But too soft was the bed. Breakfast was very good, how many times have you just wanted toast and had to pay at least 19 dollars for the privilege well the fairmont has a separate menu so you can elect to just have toast or egg or porridge and at a fair price, so thank you. The bar area with the piano player is very comfortable and very relaxing. So why only a three star and not a four star, well mainly because of the room and check in time as well as those subtle extras that you get as a matter of course at all the other fairmont hotels. I will come back in summer I think just to see the difference.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
FairmontJPL, Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you african_aussie for your comments. Looks like you came a long way to visit us! We look forward to welcoming you back in the summer and encourage you to contact us through our social media channels via Facebook/FairmontJasperPark Lodge or Twitter/@FairmontJPL to let us know when you're coming. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Arranged a small wedding here in January during January on Jasper and I have to say Regine from the hotel did the most amazing job, nothing missed, everything so perfect without a flaw. The food was amazing and the service at the dinner 2nd to none. I hadn't been for year but the setting is so beautiful and frankly you are apaered in everyway. The people were so friendly. A great place for a family - you can even take your dog!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Debbiekeat. First off, congratulations on your wedding! Thank you for choosing to spend your special day with us. We’re so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again in the future. An anniversary retreat perhaps? Kind regards, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

This is my second stay at the Jasper Park Lodge, we stayed here two years ago and had such a great time that upon coming back to Jasper we just had to check in here again. On both times we have stayed here we have stayed in room 467, the Athabasca cabin (Honeymoon cottage) It is a wonderful cabin, a fireplace, jet bath (big enough for two!) and the biggest bed you have ever seen.

I was really saddened to learn that the resort had received some bad reviews of late, this place really deserves more. The staff are amazing and will cater your every need. It's true to say that some of the park has lost it's fairmont charm and is more shabby chic but I personally think it adds to the charm.

It doesn't matter where your cabin is, the concierge team will come and collect you and take you to the main lodge and back again after, it's all complimentary.
Dont listen to all of the bad reviews on this site and give it a go, it's definitely worth a try!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
FairmontJPL, Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
AdamCronin – We’re so glad you enjoyed your stay with us again at The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge! The Honeymoon Cabin is definitely a great spot - nice and cozy right next to the Athabasca River. We look forward to seeing you again soon - please let us know when you’re returning on Facebook /FairmontJasperParkLodge or Twitter @FairmontJPL so we can welcome you back! Kind regards, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Ooty, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Jasper Park Lodge is a Canadian institution. There's the Rockies, then there's Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge. Only, don't come on a Monday in February. On a Monday in February, FJPL is dead. Dead and boring. This can or can't be helped. The crowds (and tips) descent on Thursday thru Saturday. However, this is a Canadian institution and has a reputation to live up to. And it's a Fairmont hotel. So - that's double the expectation.

I arrived with my husband and parents in-law on a Monday in February in time for a later lunch. Our waiter had no one else to serve so the failure to take my FIL's entree order was inattentive. MY FIL had to first watch us eat our entree then we had to watch him eat his. No offer was made to pepper our food. My husband called the waiter at one point. He turned, looked at my husband walked on towards the bar. Our suite, Room 514, had a pull out bed that sagged terribly in the middle so we asked for a cot which we had to make up ourselves. It made for a terribly cramped suite as my parents in law had the main bedroom and we had the pull out bed and cot in the living room. There was no garbage bin in the living room and the back of the bathroom door had dark finger prints on it. The round table in living room was dusty and the chairs in the restaurant had not been dusted in ages. MY MIL kept commenting on that and how the place should be better maintained given it was so not busy. The bathrooms off the restaurant were not very clean. The top lock on our suite door did not lock so we only had one lock work, leading to safety and security concerns. Similarly, the window in our room was not properly secured when we checked in and the cleaning products are not allergen free, as I discovered to my chagrin.

Room Tip: You can hear everything from the suites next door in the Fairmont President's Club Suites.