“Great, we'd stay here again!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of HI-Jasper

You added HI-Jasper to your Saves list
HI-Jasper
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   1 Skytram Road | 4 km south of Jasper off Hwy 93, Jasper, Jasper National Park, Alberta T0E 1E0, Canada   |
Ranked #11 of 17 Specialty Lodging in Jasper
Adelaide, Australia
“Great, we'd stay here again!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

Check in was fast which was great as we arrived late after a long drive from Whistler.

All linen/pillows are provided (as with HI Whistler, Banff & Penticton that I know of and probably more but not all) and they prefer you don't bring sleeping bags/pillows. I went to scrounge for some towels for us as other HI's say they also provide these (as did this one). It had been busy though and there were only a few small one's left - that's ok though, does the job.

This is really a lovely hostel. It's a few km's out of town which is the draw card for us in the scenic mountain foothills. There are some great walks from here as well.

The kitchen and common dining and lounge area are all big areas and aside from only the 1 toaster which is temperamental at best, we have no complaints!

The bathroom is cleaned well by whoever does it which is nice as it's not always the case with hostels!! Our room (we are a couple so booked a private room) also felt very clean so the staff really do have pride in their work. The staff are all lovely too and there is a very cool little fish on the reception desk that you'll meet at check in. The dorm rooms are interesting as they must have a dozen bunks in each for both the female and male/coed rooms. There is a really good mix of ages here - we are in our 30's and are not the oldest here by far! That's great I think and there is a friendly vibe here too.

I'd recommend you have your own hire car if you're staying here as the best bits of Jasper are really out and about and you need a car - or a lot of time to explore on foot, some of what this area has to cover. The area is vast so it's nice to be able to drive to the different walks then spend a few hours on the walk.

Bear Paws Bakery in town is fantastic. It's not on the main drag (although there is a brilliant similar sounding cafe) but just off it - you'll see it. Drink at the De'd Dog Inn on the main drag, great staff and interesting beers and a few tv's on the sports channels.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2008

Stayed for one night last week. Enjoyed my stay as bedding satisfactory and bathroom clean. Was not crowded as 'off peak' season. Not sure how this place would be in the height of the ski season.....think there would be a line up for the bathroom and showers however for the price I don't think you could complain. Hostel was warm....a definite bonus as a bit chilly outside. Nice big open fire in the lounge area and big windows to see the scenery.
I stayed in the dorm, there are private rooms available.
I would stay here again and I would recommend it to my friends.
Staff were friendly and helpful.
Note that this hostel is a few kilometres out of town however it did not bother me as I had a car. There is a shuttle to pick you up and drop you off in Jasper.

• Liked — Price, Location
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
British Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2007

We went to see if the hostel had any private rooms available. They did not (on that day). We are Hostelling International members, and, to be honest, were not impressed with the little we experienced at the front desk. The guy there made some comment about the female he just spoke with on the phone (inner part of her clothing). We were not impressed and made me feel uncomfortable. He said they had a mixed dorm behind the desk with beds available, but that was it. The place was old, dishevelled, and isolated away from Jasper itself. As lifetime Hostelling Hnternational members, we were not impressed with what we saw. The bedsheet strewn across the front desk made my skin crawl.

We hear they may be building a new hostel in Jasper itself. We'll check it out when this happens.

Stayed September 2007
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

I travelled up to the HI Jasper after spending time in HI hostels in British Columbia, Banff and Lake Louise and was surprised at the difference in quality in Jasper. In the female dorm the beds are squashed together with hardly any space between beds, any bed you were on you could reach out and touch the person next to you. There were only 3 ladies toilets and 3 ladies showers.

This is without a doubt the worst hostel I have stayed in. I moved to the HI Athabasca Falls after staying just one night, and even though it was a wilderness hostel with no running water it was much better than the HI Jasper.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Cramped accomodation
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kettering, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2005

My girlfriend and I stayed here whilst touring Canada last year. We arrived for a four night stay having travelled up from HI Banff. We were very disappointed. We've stayed in quite a few YHA's between us in both Canada and Australia, without doubt this is the worst I've ever seen.

We had a "private" room which was unfortunately next to the main enterance, I say unfortunately as the curtains were ill fitting and completely see through! This gave everybody a good idea of what we were doing at any given moment!

We checked out after a night to find a B and B, I have to say the staff were fine and helpful, just a shame about the hostel.

• Stayed July 2004
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2004

Hi, I loved my experience at the hostel. It was very cozy and had a community atmosphere to it. I really liked that it had a nice big fireplace and lots of room to lounge about. Having dishes and toaster and fridge and all that already there was a surprise to me and a defininte bonus. The best factor was it only cost $25 a night. I plan to go again in February and I will definatly stay there again!

Been to HI-Jasper? Share your experiences!