“The highlight of our trip to the Canadian Rockies” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Glacier View Inn

Save Saved
You added The Glacier View Inn to your Saves list
The Glacier View Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Icefields Parkway (Highway #93 North) | Just north of the Banff/Jasper National Park Border, Jasper National Park, Alberta T1L 1J3, Canada (Formerly Columbia Icefield Chalet)   |
Wautoma
“The highlight of our trip to the Canadian Rockies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

This place was absolutely awesome! We had room 335 and were told that room is the best one there. Without a doubt. The views of the icefield and glacier area from the room, including the bathroom, are unbelievable. The windows are spotless and large so one can take pictures right through the window at sunset, sunrise, etc. with no crowds. I am a scapbooker and our pictures are something else. I found no better pictures in any book, postcard than the ones I took. The water comes directly from the glacier at the hotel and its the best water I ever drank. While there go to the Glacier Inn dining room. The food is fabulous and the waiters - cooks are the BEST!!!!! I had halibut and my husband had steak and scallops. The breakfast is fabulous as well. Everyone there is so nice, friendly and helpful. We are from the USA (Wisconsin) and this was truly a trip of a lifetime. We have travelled extensively and I would put this at the #1 SPOT!!!!

Room Tip: get room 335. its the best!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GlacierView_Manager, Hotel Sales Executive Coordinator at The Glacier View Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Donna B:

Thank you so much for your glowing review of the Glacier View Inn. Our top priority is to ensure that our guests have a memorable stay and it definitely seems like we succeeded in your case. We are glad to read that you took some incredible photos from the windows in your room and that you found both the food and the wait staff fabulous at the onsite restaurant.

We very much appreciate your positive feedback and look forward to welcoming you back on your next drive through the Canadian Rockies.

169 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Our family of four stayed at the Inn earlier in June. We enjoyed exporing the ice fields and had great weather. We had a great room with a view of the glacier. Main level had queen size bed and the loft had 2 twins - worked out great for us. Very clean and comfortable.

We had a very nice dinner in the dining room. It did not seem too expensive for what we had, but we would have liked a less expensive option. There is a cafeteria style option, but it wasn't open when we were going for dinner. Might have closed at 6, not certain.

Everyone was very friendly and helpful, but of particular note were Megan at the front desk who gave us a great room, Kate from housekeeping who we talked to in the morning, and Alam our server in the dining room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GlacierView_Manager, Hotel Sales Executive Coordinator at The Glacier View Inn, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Beachlovernow:

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Glacier View Inn. We are thrilled to read that you enjoyed your spacious, clean and comfortable glacier view room. It is also pleasing to read that you had a nice dinner at the onsite restaurant and that you found all of our employees to be friendly and helpful. I have passed on your compliments to the particular staff members that had an extra positive impact on your stay with us.

We appreciate your kind words and look forward to your return when you are next driving through the Canadian Rockies.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This hotel is located across the road from a beautiful glacier landscape. It is a good half way stop over point between Banff and Jasper. The Columbia Icefields business operates out of the bottom floor of the hotel, so it is very convenient to buy a ticket to walk on the glacier late in the afternoon or early in the morning when the crowds are not too large. The next floor up has a café (open till 6pm) and a restaurant (open till 9pm). Both are reasonably expensive, but supply and demand of such an isolated place would explain this. I didn't enjoy the Chinese food or service at the restaurant, but the view helped make up for the lack of taste in the food.The top floor has the hotel rooms, serviced by a lift. Our room was very comfortable and had a fantastic view of the glacier, well worth the money to wake up looking at the majestic glacier first thing in the morning. The bathroom was fully equipped with toiletries. The room was large and comfortable, but didn't have a fridge or any wifi/internet connection at all in the room. You could access the internet desk/business centre for a fee if you need to. Parking was difficult to find initially for check in, but we were told to park up with the buses. We moved the car after the buses finished for the day.

Room Tip: Room facing the glacier, towards the Jasper end is quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GlacierView_Manager, Hotel Sales Executive Coordinator at The Glacier View Inn, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Sydaus3:

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Glacier View Inn. We are glad that you enjoyed the beautiful location of the hotel, right at the base of the Athabasca Glacier. We were also pleased to read that you found your room spacious and comfortable and very much appreciated the fantastic views.

We value your comments and suggestions and will use them to even better our service standards in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to the Columbia Icefield.

Cannington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Excellent views and well located for the ice field should you take the trip onto the glacier.

Advantage of the hotel is you can take the trip early or late in the day once the crowds had gone.

Service was excellent and the breakfast as part of the package was good.

Down side for us, we were given a room at the rear, no problem with that except there was a huge generator outside that seemed to run all night. Oh and the cafeteria/restaurant is very expensive, caters for a captive audience. The menu however is very good, as well as portions, but charging a premium price for a 330ml can of Canadian lager that had written on the can "Part of 8 pack, do no separate" was a bit of a cheek.

Suggest perhaps either make the price more realistic, or be a bit more discreet and not pour from the can at the table.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GlacierView_Manager, Hotel Sales Executive Coordinator at The Glacier View Inn, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Alex1706:

Thank you for giving the Glacier View Inn a 4 star rating on Trip Advisor! We are glad that you enjoyed the fabulous location and excellent views from the hotel. Regarding your comments about the on-site dining facility, I have passed these on to Restaurant Management with a view to improving service standards in the future.

We appreciate your business and value your insight. We look forward to welcoming you back when you travel through the area again.

Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

After a rocky check in where my online booking price was not honoured (I ended up just paying the wrong amount and called the booking company to resolve, and the morning manager had my refund receipt waiting for me), we arrived to our nice loft room that had a small window on an awkward side of the room overlooking the beautiful glacier. We had also called the night before to see if there was either a microwave or fridge in the room, and was told there was a fridge, so we bought yogurt and cheese, etc, only to arrive to a room with no fridge. Luckily it was cool enough outside that we just left it in the trunk. The manager was very nice, but the staff who checked us in must be very new for the season and not knowledgeable on customer service and hotel amenities. The location really cannot be beat. The beds are wonderful. The shower head is perfect for short people, not tall and my husband ended up scratching his head while bending over to try to wash his hair!
I would stay here again just for the location. My boys Loved being able to walk around the ice explorers in the parking lot.

• Stayed May 2013
GlacierView_Manager, Executive Coordinator at The Glacier View Inn, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Hopeforsun:

Thank you for submitting your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Glacier View Inn. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed our fabulous location and that you thought the beds were wonderful. Your staffing comments have passed on to the Front Desk Manager with a view to improve our standards of service.

We thank you for choosing to stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the Columbia Icefield.

Executive Coordinator
Belfast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We expected this to be a motel style, poor quality hotel but wanted to stay to see the glacier last thing at night and on sunrise. it was worth it for the views alone. Seeing the glacier when it's quiet is so pretty. However the hotel shocked us in a good way. Rooms were large, the beds were comfy, the bathrooms were well equipped and had lovely toilettries and the rooms were spotlessly clean.
There is only one restaurant and nothing within miles so you are a bit of a captive audience. Food was a little dearer but not as much as it might have been (about $20 a main course). The menu had a chinese influence and the chinese dishes were excellent. The more American dishes not not seem to be as good quality.

Overall, great place to stay. make sure you pay the extra for the glacier view rooms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GlacierView_Manager, Manager at The Glacier View Inn, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear CWPL

Greetings from the Glacier View Inn

I was glad to read about the exceptional experience you received while you were staying with us. We strive to ensure our guests are happy and during their stay and our team found it a joy to have you in house.

I have taken the liberty of sharing your specific comments with the food & beverage departments. Thank you for your constructive feedback.

We truly look forward to serving you in the near future.

Sarah Lofts
Manager on Duty
Stratford, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed here on my 7 week road trip across Canada & the U.S.
Was planning on camping at the dark sky preserve near here but the closer I got to the Columbia Ice Fields the colder it got...I couldn't believe just how fast the temp. was dropping as I drove along the parkway down from Jasper. Once again I hadn't booked a room at the only hotel anywhere along this route so I didn't have much hope when I approached the check in desk at 5:00 p.m. All I can say is I must have done something good in my previous life because when Ali with the Aussie accent behind the counter went on her computer there was one room left!!! This is the closest feeling I will ever have to winning the 649!! When I told her how tired and cold and grateful I was she then discounted the room for me! Ali, you are an angel and I will never forget you! The room had a fantastic view of the ice fields, very comfortable bed with a loft upstairs with a second bed for people with families. I spent about 1 hr. soaking in the tub to get the chill off my bones before heading down to the restaurant for some food. Aaaaahhhh, well, what can I say...cleaned my bifocals just to make sure I was seeing the prices correctly and that's when I realized I'm not in Kansas anymore! On to plan B...snickers and roasted almonds from the vending machine along with free coffee from the machine back in my room. I did splurge the next morning for basic breakfast however before heading into Lake Louise and no it wasn't a snickers!

Room Tip: Don't take a chance...book in advance!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Glacier View Inn? Share your experiences!