“Great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Glacier View Inn

Save Saved
You added The Glacier View Inn to your Saves list
The Glacier View Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Icefields Parkway (Highway #93 North) | Just north of the Banff/Jasper National Park Border, Jasper National Park, Alberta T1L 1J3, Canada (Formerly Columbia Icefield Chalet)   |
Winnipeg, Canada
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

After a rocky check in where my online booking price was not honoured (I ended up just paying the wrong amount and called the booking company to resolve, and the morning manager had my refund receipt waiting for me), we arrived to our nice loft room that had a small window on an awkward side of the room overlooking the beautiful glacier. We had also called the night before to see if there was either a microwave or fridge in the room, and was told there was a fridge, so we bought yogurt and cheese, etc, only to arrive to a room with no fridge. Luckily it was cool enough outside that we just left it in the trunk. The manager was very nice, but the staff who checked us in must be very new for the season and not knowledgeable on customer service and hotel amenities. The location really cannot be beat. The beds are wonderful. The shower head is perfect for short people, not tall and my husband ended up scratching his head while bending over to try to wash his hair!
I would stay here again just for the location. My boys Loved being able to walk around the ice explorers in the parking lot.

• Stayed May 2013
GlacierView_Manager, Executive Coordinator at The Glacier View Inn, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Hopeforsun:

Thank you for submitting your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Glacier View Inn. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed our fabulous location and that you thought the beds were wonderful. Your staffing comments have passed on to the Front Desk Manager with a view to improve our standards of service.

We thank you for choosing to stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the Columbia Icefield.

Alexandra George
Executive Coordinator
Brewster Hospitality

164 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Belfast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We expected this to be a motel style, poor quality hotel but wanted to stay to see the glacier last thing at night and on sunrise. it was worth it for the views alone. Seeing the glacier when it's quiet is so pretty. However the hotel shocked us in a good way. Rooms were large, the beds were comfy, the bathrooms were well equipped and had lovely toilettries and the rooms were spotlessly clean.
There is only one restaurant and nothing within miles so you are a bit of a captive audience. Food was a little dearer but not as much as it might have been (about $20 a main course). The menu had a chinese influence and the chinese dishes were excellent. The more American dishes not not seem to be as good quality.

Overall, great place to stay. make sure you pay the extra for the glacier view rooms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GlacierView_Manager, Manager at The Glacier View Inn, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear CWPL

Greetings from the Glacier View Inn

I was glad to read about the exceptional experience you received while you were staying with us. We strive to ensure our guests are happy and during their stay and our team found it a joy to have you in house.

I have taken the liberty of sharing your specific comments with the food & beverage departments. Thank you for your constructive feedback.

We truly look forward to serving you in the near future.

Sarah Lofts
Manager on Duty
Stratford, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed here on my 7 week road trip across Canada & the U.S.
Was planning on camping at the dark sky preserve near here but the closer I got to the Columbia Ice Fields the colder it got...I couldn't believe just how fast the temp. was dropping as I drove along the parkway down from Jasper. Once again I hadn't booked a room at the only hotel anywhere along this route so I didn't have much hope when I approached the check in desk at 5:00 p.m. All I can say is I must have done something good in my previous life because when Ali with the Aussie accent behind the counter went on her computer there was one room left!!! This is the closest feeling I will ever have to winning the 649!! When I told her how tired and cold and grateful I was she then discounted the room for me! Ali, you are an angel and I will never forget you! The room had a fantastic view of the ice fields, very comfortable bed with a loft upstairs with a second bed for people with families. I spent about 1 hr. soaking in the tub to get the chill off my bones before heading down to the restaurant for some food. Aaaaahhhh, well, what can I say...cleaned my bifocals just to make sure I was seeing the prices correctly and that's when I realized I'm not in Kansas anymore! On to plan B...snickers and roasted almonds from the vending machine along with free coffee from the machine back in my room. I did splurge the next morning for basic breakfast however before heading into Lake Louise and no it wasn't a snickers!

Room Tip: Don't take a chance...book in advance!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed one night in a glacier view room with loft. We definitely enjoyed the glacier and mountain views from the room both in the morning and evening light. We drove up from Banff, and arrived too early for check in but were able to store our computer/medicines at the hotel check-in desk, then drove back to hike up to Wilcox Pass for a gorgeous view of the area, including the Athabasca glacier and icefield. Our room was ready when promised, around 4 PM.

The hotel occupies part of a building complex that also houses a restaurant, a cafeteria (open during lunch hours), a small museum, a gift shop, and a couple of tourist information booths like booking trips for bus rides up to the icefield. The hotel is about a 2 hour drive north of Banff and a 90 minute drive south of Jasper.

The room and furnishings looked great but were clearly older, everything was clean, linens and towels were worn, and there was plenty of space to spread out our hiking gear. The room was very functional, and that is exactly what we wanted. One minor annoyance that's common in a remote hotel like this is that the sink had separate knobs for hot and cold water - no big deal. The two twin beds in the loft above were very comfortable BUT the queen bed seemed like a double in size and had a terrible mattress - upon lying down, you promptly rolled into the middle of the bed. My husband and I took the single beds in the loft and gave our happy teenager the larger bed.

The next morning, we did the Deluxe Icefield Walk (a great experience), which requires you to show up around 9:30 AM. The hotel is right at the Icefields area so we enjoyed a leisurely morning without a lot of driving before our hike.

We ate dinner in the Glacier View Restaurant, which is expensive but acceptable for the remote location of the hotel. Unlike other reviews I had read, our experience at the restaurant was great. The waiter was friendly, the food was tasty and the views were breathtaking throughout our meal. We did not have breakfast in the restaurant.

We would stay here again very happily for the convenience of being so close to the Icefields and the associated hikes and activities.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for glacier view room.
Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Altrincham, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

This was worth it just for the incredible views from the terrace at sunset. So quiet after all the coach parties had gone. We watched all the surrounding mountains and the glaciers turn pink. There was us and one other couple. Early next morning we again had the terrace more or less to ourselves. We walked down to the small lake to get terrific photos of the fall vegetation and clear reflections of the Columbia Glacier, then hiked to the foot of the glacier before it got too busy.
The evening meal was expensive as others have said, but there isn't much competition is there? If you can get a window seat, as we did, there can't be many better views from your table anywhere in the Rockies.
Our room, 326 (mountain view), booked through Expedia, was spacious and comfortable, but unfortunately was affected by mechanical noise and vibration as it was directly above the kitchen area. The hotel was full so there was no point asking for another room. We chose to sleep in the loft area where the noise was not so intense. I can't help wondering if we were allocated this room as we had not booked one of the Brewster packages which their website was so keen to promote.
Don't get me wrong though, this is an incredible place to break your journey along the Icefields Parkway.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

If you want to spend some time at the Columbia Icefields this is the place to stay. The views from the room of the glacier itself were stunning. The room itself was excellent, with a queen on the lower level and two twins in the loft. The food service at the attached restaurant was average at best, and there are no other options within many, many miles of the place, but that is a small price to pay especially if you are staying for only a night. The cost of the hotel was very reasonable when we were there in late September. If you luck out and stay there on a clear night as we did can see more stars then I ever had before.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a glacier view room and not a mountain view room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Lloydminster Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We had a room with a mountain view and it was worth it, the rooms didn't have fridges and they had an ice machine that didn't produce much ice, I feel if your not going to have fridges at least have a proper ice machine. Everything is very expensive here from the food at the eating establishments and the vending machines. It was worth the experience once would only do it again if they made it more user friendly with proper luggage drop off and amenities in your room.

Room Tip: Mountain View
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Glacier View Inn? Share your experiences!