“An attentive, friendly Rockies experience like no other” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge

You added Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge to your Saves list
Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   Hwy. 93, Icefields Parkway | Box 97, Jasper National Park, Alberta T0E 1E0, Canada (Formerly Sunwapta Falls Resort)   |
Vancouver, Canada
“An attentive, friendly Rockies experience like no other”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Located right on the (only) road between Lake Louise and Jasper, about 45 minutes south of Jasper townsite, the Sunwapta Falls Resort has been a favourite of mine ever since I started stopping there for coffee when I ran organized tours in the Canadian Rockies. This two-night stay was the first time I have actually spent time there overnight and I am happy to say it did not disappoint.

The cabins are well appointed, each with a real wood-burning fireplace and quasi-kitchenette (no stove). It appeared to me that all the suites had a door to an adjoining suite so if you're looking for accommodation for a large family, this locale is an excellent choice.

The staff is very friendly and attentive to your needs. There was a minor issue with my coffee carafe. I reported the issue as I went into the restaurant for breakfast and before I had finished breakfast I was told that the issue was resolved.

The evening dinner restaurant doubles as a large coffee shop during the day but the ambiance in the lodge itself suits itself well to both roles. A few white tablecloths, good quality cutlery and dishes transforms the space well. The fireplace adds much to the feel of the lodge.

The fare offered at the restaurant is of excellent quality and exceeded my (high) expectations. The menu choices ranged from a couple of vegetarian options, chicken and beef culminating with the exotic. I thoroughly enjoyed the tenderloin of bison and wapiti (elk). The elk stew looked really good too. While the average price for a main course on the menu was just over $20.00, for such exotic options, be prepared to drop a pretty penny. The tenderloins dish was over $50.00 while the stew was $32.00. A little above the norm but well worth every penny if you're the adventurous type, gastronomically speaking.

Roughly 1 kilometre (1/2 mile) down the side road are the Sunwapta Falls. This resort has no swimming pool nor lakeside vista but this apparent lack is well made-up by a stroll to the very impressive falls. Hiking is an excellent day-time activity with well-marked and well-maintained Parks Canada trails. Some of the hikes can be challenging but many are not difficult at all.

It is isolated- once darkness falls, the number of cars on the highway drops to about 5 or 6 per hour- yet it has all the comforts of home.

My overall experience at the resort was excellent. The rooms are well appointed and my bed rated a 10/10 in comfort. I would have been very happy with my experience were this resort a hotel in town but considering that the nearest commercial activity is 45 minutes up the road in Jasper makes it all the more compelling.

In short, I yearn for places like Sunwapta Falls Resort and I'd return there in heart-beat. If you're looking for a place to get away from it all, plan on a sojourn here.

Room Tip: The cabins have character. Book one back from the road.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
mcorlett, Director of Sales at Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Hi Brian!

Well... we are speechless! This is a very intriguing, compelling, thoughtful and precise review from an industry professional. We are so happy to hear that we did not disappoint, and that we were able to impress.

Readers, I just have to qualify this review and my response a little bit. We have many tour directors and coach drivers stop during the daytime with their clients for shopping, food, and washrooms. These professionals have such a great deal of experience, like Brian, that getting a review is... well... a little nail biting and also very meaningful to us!

Thanks Brian, it's so rare that we are able to have so many of the professional tour guides and coach drivers that have stopped in the daytime, come and actually stay for pleasure in the hotel as our guests. We feel honoured you would choose us, and once again, thank you for sharing your insights and succinct review with the TripAdvisor community.

An excellent addition to the perspectives and voices that have commented on what it's like to stay at Sunwapta. I hope readers find good value in your comments and that we can have you come back and stay again in 2014!

Readers if there is any element of Brian's review you would like to know more about, feel free to email me directly: matthew@sunwapta.com.

Thanks again Brian, all the best for your winter,

Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Czech first
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was our fourth time staying at Sunwapta Falls Lodge. Our small cabin was always clean, hot shower working, and just a short walk to the Sunwapta Fall for hiking. The lodge's restaurant offers one of the best breakfast buffet and supper in the Jasper area. Highly recommended if you don't mind the secluded camp-like location, which is 55 km south of Jasper, about a 45 minutes drive.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

The Lodge is just in walking distance to the Sunwapta Falls at Jasper National Park, alongside Icefields Parkway. The receptionists are very friendly and helpful, rooms are @ basic standard and clean and tidy. So all in all suffizient for a stay. Due to it's location the Lodge is easy to find and during nighttime there's not much traffic passing by. So it's very calm.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
mcorlett, Director of Sales at Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Hello ThePunchBowl!

I like your TripAdvisor moniker! Thanks very much for choosing to stay at Sunwapta, and for writing your impressions and observations for the TripAdvisor community!

For the readers... a few comments!

THE FALLS
It's so easy to talk about the hotel, the food, the service, but how often do we all forget one of the most incredible aspects of our location: THE SUNWAPTA FALLS!

There are 3 sets, but the first is easily accessible from any room. Just a 10 minute walk (a little less) brings you to the main falls with the iconic bear pillar in the centre of the thundering waters. We can help you with directions to the lower sets of falls (a 20 minute easy grade trail from main falls).

LOCATION AND NIGHT TIME
Readers, you probably already know we are located directly on the side of Highway 93, the Icefield's Parkway. An important fact about the Parkway is that come nighttime virtually nobody is on it! It is not a transport truck or industrial highway (they are not permitted on it except to deliver supplies or good to us and the Columbia Icefields). It is a vacationing sightseer highway, and quite frankly it is the MAIN attraction of Banff and Jasper!

Like you, everyone else that travels the Parkway starts checking into their hotels around 4 or 5pm, and are getting ready for dinner and rest. Even in peak summer the Parkway is very quiet from 8pm on.

STARS AND STARS AND... MORE STARS!
Night time is quiet, yes, but here's a little piece of information for you star gazing dreamers: Sunwapta at night has night skies that are 1 degree away from the darkest skies you can EVER have! That means you’ll see stars here you may never have seen before.

A short walk toward the falls and all the minimal light pollution from the Lodge disappears, and what comes out of the dark sky is nothing short of breathtaking! You can see the Milky Way, and traditional constellations that normally appear as the only stars in the sky show themselves to be wrapped in a cosmic blanket planets and stars.

We also have an observation deck on the top floor of our main lodge. At this time of year, if the skies are clear, heading up to the top deck with a hot chocolate as early as 9PM will give you an amazing starry experience with just a little light pollution from the rooms and property. Ask our front desk how to get there!

For 2014 we will be developing our dark sky experiences... Stay tuned on our Facebook page for programs and events!

Thanks again PunchBowl!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

It was a super friendly place, clean and comfortable with a lot if attractions around; however, They need a restaurant with pub food or a lunch menu not just a limited and very expensive selection. Two high end for a lodge. Need games in the bar area...not enough privacy on deck - should. Not say its a "private" deck. All in all, great place!

• Stayed September 2013
Hi JanSobo4343!

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review. I really enjoyed it because you've brought forward more ways we can clarify the experience of Sunwapta to potential bookers, and we value your suggestions to expand on the experiences available here.

Readers, let me address some of the points Jan has provided:

DECKS
Readers, Jan is right. The private deck is not private from other people's eyes! We have these decks on all of our Rocky Mountain Doubles and some of our Hideaway rooms. To be clear, the 'private' nature of the deck is that it is for your use only. But certainly people will be able to see you while you sit on your deck! Great point Jan! Thank you!

EVENING RESTAURANT
From 6:30pm onward we offer exceptional evening dining. While it is a regionally inspired fine dining menu, it is casual dress. We do require reservations as it's an intimate 13 table room. You can make reservations through our front desk: 1-888-828-5777 / info@sunwapta.com.

For the most objective interpretation of price, please visit our website where you will find the evening dining menu with pricing available. This gives you a chance to determine if that's the experience you'd like for dinner or not.

Keep in mind, you are always more than welcome to come in and have soup and salad or dessert and wine! You don't need to have a 3 course meal to enjoy the ambience and service. If you are a light eater, take a peak at the ‘Comfort Food For the Traveller’ section. Also, portions are generous, and many are full after the bread and a starter or two!

ALTERNATIVES
As you are our valued guests at Sunwapta, we will always strive to provide something that works for you! Let me speak to alternatives for a minute.

During the day until 6pm we do have our deli available with fresh baked goods, sandwiches and short order (more like pub food!). The Deli actually remains open for take away, but the short order is finished at 6pm so our kitchen can prepare for the evening dining service.

While the short order stops at 6pm, we can ALWAYS make some sandwiches and provide our famous in-house AAA NY steak stew, chilli or one of our in-house soups to go with them. The deli is usually stocked with our daily fresh baked goods past 6pm as well. In short, feel free to ask and we'll do our best to make sure we have something for you!

You can also find our deli menu and pricing on our website. Please keep in mind that there are some changes to menus and while we do our best to update the site, you may find SLIGHT changes from the time you look at the menu online to the time you arrive.

GAMES
Jan, I like the idea of having some more activity on property. Games are fun idea! I'm going to bring up your idea at our next meeting to see if we could work something like that into the experience here, or at least have them and make them available.

Once again, thanks for your input… That you’ve taken the time out to provide us with your insights has been great for us. I'm very glad that you enjoyed staying here too!

All the best,

Portland, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed at three places during my short trip to the Canadian Rockies, and this was the best. The room (a cabin) was very clean and quiet. The people were the best part of the experience. They were warm, knowledgeable, and seemed to genuinely love this area and couldn't wait to share it with visitors (many people associated with national parks get kind of blase about things but staff here were quite enthusiastic). I like their brochures too. The only downside was the lack of wifi in my room, even though I was given a password (there was absolutely no signal). I will wholeheartedly recommend it despite that!

Room Tip: If you arrive early and they are not busy, they might upgrade you without asking!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Hi livelearntravel!

Thanks for choosing to stay with us of all the other options you had for your quick trip through the Rockies! Thank too for all of your contributions to TripAdvisor for that trip. Impressive!

TripAdvisor Community, you will that our 4 circle rating on TripAdvisor is driven by our service. It is our highest ranked category. I'm glad that really came across livelearntravel!

You won’t find blasé attitude here. We are as excited to be here as much as you are to come. Our realization of how lucky we are to be in an awe inspiring, pristine, and very safe part of the world has built a great deal of gratitude. We're glad to be able to share it... there is an abundance!

Readers, the brochures referred to are our self-drive itineraries. There are 3, each one representing one full day of sight seeing and activities. We use these as the basis for our suggestions for you, and are happy to customize itineraries to include tickets for attractions, bookings with guides and more!

WIFI here is not strong. We no longer advertise that we offer it. If you require internet for work or for other important matters, it’s best to expect that there will be no internet available at Sunwapta. The primary reason behind this is the type of internet available to us here is intermittent, unpredictable, and slow. Sometimes it will just stop working with no recourse for us to take.

Thanks again livelearntravel. Hopefully next time through you have more time to enjoy Jasper!

All the best,

Bedford UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night a bit by mistake as I thought it was further south on the Icefield Parkway than it actually is. From reading trip advisor ratings my friend & I were expecting something amazing. The wifi problem wasn't a problem as the website said it wasn't available. However, we were a bit disappointed that the room wasn't as special as we'd been led to expect. The bathroom in particular was tired with paint spots on the floor & a stained ceiling. My friend got caught out by the strong shower jet & ended up with soaked night clothes ( shed foolishly left them on the floor!). It was a bit strange having the washbasin in the room making a private wash impossible with both in the room. The beds, were very comfortable & the temperature easily adjusted. I have stayed in better accommodation & paid less but I guess the lodge's location does attract a premium. We ate in the restaurant in the evening & was pleased the chef was ale to adjust my meal to leave out a particular ingredient to which I am very allergic. We only had one course & it was a bit pricey as was the breakfast the following morning. $25 approx for (albeit tasty) granola & fruit, one bowl Kellogg's cornflakes, a fruit salad & one tea/coffee - I took my own milk. We sat by the window & down by our feet the window ledge was really grubby with old crumbs & food debris. I really wanted to be wowed by the lodge but sadly I wasn't , just felt it was average & over priced -sorry. To finish on a positive note, without exception, the staff were friendly & very helpful, thank you.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
mcorlett, Director of Sales at Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
HI Mattrhimum!

Thanks for taking the time to write a thoughtful review of your stay. It provides us with the perfect opportunity to address pre-arrival expectations and further clarify our property for potential future guests. I'll also address some of the concerns and let downs you had during your stay.

For readers in the TripAdvisor community unfamiliar with my writing style, please note there are headings in BOLD that allow you to skip to the most relevant topic for you!

LOCATION:
We're clear on our site that we are located 53km south of downtown Jasper. We hope that our travel partners, like online travel agents and brick and mortar travel agents, have that information correct as well. Sometimes we can't control mistakes on their end. Please let us know if you were misinformed about our location!

TRIPADVISOR RATINGS AND EXPECTATIONS
I am sorry to hear your expectations were not met. I think that maybe you were set up with expectations that our property cannot match, and this is in part due to our high ranking on TripAdvisor. To help future guests basing there selection on our TripAdvisor ranking, let me clarify a few items.

Many of our TripAdvisor reviews are extremely positive, and this creates sort of a halo effect in a way. I've noticed there's been a tendency for some to see the high ranking and assume it equates with some of their expectations being satisfied automatically.

Our most common examples: "4 circles! The accommodation must be 4 star!" We've had several guests check in that have thought this. We're 2 star. "If it's so highly rated, it must be fantastic!" And we are, but on person’s ‘fantastic’ is not for everyone, and we do not meet every expectation. What do we meet?

WHAT TO EXPECT
TripAdvisor ranks us as 4 circles. You will see that our highest ranking is for Service. Location is second along with cleanliness and sleep comfort. Rooms come in last. I'd love to change that, and we work at it every year within the tight restrictions we have and the means available to us.

Despite the fact that upgrades happen every year and that more are scheduled, reader please keep in mind: we are 2 star and you are not going to find luxurious accommodation here. I can understand how that assumption can be made from our TripAdvisor ranking. We do provide clean and comfortable accommodation!

Hotel assessments in terms of star ratings are mostly based on room and property amenities. For example: are there phones in rooms, how many night tables, lamps, data ports, air conditioning, amenities like spa, pool, hot tub etc.

As far as our rooms go, we are very clear about what we offer. In addition, we have plenty of photographs that I personally took and posted on TripAdvisor and on our Facebook page (album called 'candid photos'). These clearly show the rooms without any of the 'magic' you might have with professional photography.

SO WHY IS SUNWAPTA 4 CIRCLES ON TRIPADVISOR?
The obvious question that is left is: how did a 2 star property get a 4 circle rating? Why is it ranked higher than the Fairmont which is luxury?

In order to really grasp it, I think it’s important to consider that staying at Sunwapta isn't just about renting a room for a night or two. Actually, it’s hardly about the room at all. It's about the experience you have while here, and where ‘here’ is, and how committed we are to your experience.

It's about how our staff commit themselves to you enjoying your time in Jasper, how we reach out to provide custom itineraries, tickets and activity bookings, and insider tips on wildlife sightseeing. It's about the more intimate atmosphere we can provide being a smaller property with nothing but Canadian Rockies around us.

It's about being able to talk directly to a senior manager to have your meal specifically cooked and that you will not encounter 'attitude' about it. It's about having access to a senior manager at any time - ANY TIME - during your stay to help with any special requests, or concerns.

It's about having an intimate dining room that looks not at another building, but at the Endless Chain Ridge. It's about experiencing the beauty of the falls just a short walk away, the lakes a short bike ride or drive up the road, or one of the many local trails.

It's about the fact that there are no phones in the room, that there is only unreliable internet, and that there's no cell reception so that your time is available to experience our wilderness setting and the loved ones you are with.

ON THE OTHER HAND!
I believe that there are maintenance issues that need to be dealt with in the room you stayed in. I'm sorry to hear that there were any. We are inspected by AAA and the Alberta Hotel Association, both of which look at housekeeping and maintenance issues. We are normally on the ball. Our apologies for that.

Aside from the paint spots (actually we will be retiling our bathrooms for 2014), and perhaps the shower head (but I'm unclear if that was an issue or a mistake), please feel free to share any other concerns.

I am personally going to audit each room at the end of our season with other key members of our management team. I hope to be much more prepared for future guests than we were here.

Also, cleanliness in the lodge is usually impeccable and your comments must be addressed immediately by our cleaning crew.

FINALLY!
I greatly appreciate the time you took to write this review. It had specifics that were helpful, and it calls us to a higher order I think we can accomplish.

I am very glad you found the sleep comfortable, the staff excellent, and the food tasty!

Thanks again,

Matthew Corlett
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The staff were helpfull & extremely friendly. Fabulous food. We had no problems accessing the Wifi satalite internet. The room was comfortable. The resident bear talkative. The scenery is marvelous. A great place to take a vacation!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

HI Robin206!

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and we're all very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay! For the readers, I'd like to expand on a few things:

WIFI:
We do not advertise that we offer internet here. The reason is that we can only receive and distribute satellite internet. Satellite internet is finicky and unreliable. If you require WIFI for work or if it's extremely important to your lifestyle, before booking please consider that it may not be available at all during your stay.

RESIDENT BEAR!
I had a good chuckle about this one! We have our very own 'Holo-Bear' (the world's first and so far only). It's a moving, talking virtual reproduction of a bear we actually filmed. He lives in the central entrance between the restaurant and the gift shop in our day lodge. He's got a few jokes up his sleeve.

The real one is magnificent in person too! If any one has the time, check out the Wildlife Discovery Park in Innisfail, AB. It's about 1 hour north of Calgary on Highway 2, and the home of the very large Barney the Bear and many of his furry friends!

We're super glad you enjoyed your scenic time away from regular life!

Thanks again Robin,

Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge

Been to Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!