“Great Stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Grande Prairie

You added Holiday Inn Express Grande Prairie to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Grande Prairie
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10226 117 Avenue, Grande Prairie, Alberta T8V 7S5, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Grande Prairie
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Calgary, Canada
“Great Stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Hotel is newer, very clean. The rooms are nicely appointed with flatscreen tv's. Staff was friendly and front desk even left pool open for an hour extra as several people were still enjoying the facility. Included breakfast was far above average. Convenient location with many restaurants nearby. Will try here first when in town again.

• Stayed November 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

Everytime I travel to Grande Prairie on work, I stay at this hotel. It is a very short drive to the downtown core, close to the exiting highway to drive back south and close to some really dynamic shopping and restaurants.

The City of Grande Prairie, in my mind, is a city of good service and unique flavor. The hotel is the epitome of good service. I have never stayed there and not had access to the same room, a good warm breakfast and such attentive front desk staff.

It is clean, quiet, comfortable and has all the amenities of the larger scale hotel. There is an excercise room, hot continental breakfast area with a free Edmonton Journal, close access to Mike's (a reasonably priced eatery with unique, hearty and delicious selections), free wi-fi or plug in computer access, and free parking with plug ins for winter travel.

I would recommend making reservations because there are a lot of regulars who use this hotel and although I have never had an issue with getting a room at the last minute, the folks who work in oil and gas or forestry are often there and can take up a lot of the rooms.

Make sure that when you have booked this hotel you have booked the Holiday Inn Express, not just the Holiday Inn. There are often travellers finding that they are in the wrong hotel because they booked at one and not the other hotel. Just be aware. The front desk staff have the other hotel on speed dial, just in case such a mistake is made.

Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the tromping booted feet of the guys who do normally stay there - end...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Sherwood Park, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

My wife and I had a most pleasureable two day stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Grande Prairie. We required an accessible room which was confirmed right away, and at a reduced rate (compassion) which this property offered as we were attending the funeral of a friend.

Everything about this hotel was great - the courtesy of all the staff - front desk, housekeeping and at breakfast.

The breakfast is excellent, in a bright, clean and neat room. Good variety and selection.

In-room coffee and free Edmonton Journal newspaper added to the experience.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Sherwood Park, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

I recently stayed at this property after making an on line reservation. I ALWAYS specify certain criteria when making a reservation at any property and this one was no exception. I always advise that I want my room selection to be: as far away as possible from elevators, vending and ice machines and if possible at the end of hall on the lowest level possilbe. Such was the case with this reservation however it should be pointed out that there is only enough character room when specifying these need(s) so you know that the people reading the reservation don't bother to read whats written there: In this case it was; "away from elevators/vending/ice machines". No more characters were allowed! In any event I had been on the road for approx. 9 hours and had encountered a 2 hour time change, from PST to MST ( 1 hour) along with the DST change. Upon arriving at this property I had to interrupt the 2 female desk clerks who were oblivious to me and ask for my reservation which was produced, all the while these 2 ladies were carrying on with something that had nothing to do with me. I went to my room and guess what? It was oppopsite the elevators and beside the ice machine and pop machines. So much for reading the specfics on the reservation. This property advertises free hi speed internet however I was unable to connect using wireless but did note that there was also a hard wire internet connection available which I attempted to utilize it also. Neither one worked. I went to the front desk from the 3 Floor and asked about the Internet and was advised that sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. I had to ask for the password which is usually written on the checkin pouch but it was not. I was told that the Wireless might work but if it didn't to try the hard wire. I advised that I had tried this but was unable to get a connection. I was advised to call the 1-800 number of Ehost and there was a card on the desk in my room with this information. Before leaving I took issue with the room I had and told the front desk people that they obviously did not read the comments portion on my initial reservation. Upon returning to my room I did call the Ehost number and spoke with a Tech who attempted to connect to the Internet but he advised he was unable to do so as the Server this hotel was utilizing was old equipment and he could not assist. We tried several IP addresses to no avail. My computer is my lifeblood of my work and not to have access to the Internet was most disheartening. I should acknowledge that one of the desk clerks did come to my room and apologized for giving me such a "lousy room" and she would find me another room in due course. Who wants to pack everything up and move again. This could have and should have been addressed when I checked in and probably could have been avoided if the desk clerks had read the reservation in the first place. When I checked out the next morning which was very early, I always ask for a zero balance statement as the one that is slid under the door usually shows a debit balance and creates difficulty with the accounting office where I am employed. I have always been given a zero balance statement whenever I asked. In any event when I got to the front counter at approx. 7:15 am the morning of check-out there was no one there! I looked around, made enough noise to attract anyone who may have been sitting in one of the adjoining offices but to no avail. I went to the room where Breakfast is served and spoke to a woman who was obviously an employee and asked her if anyone was at the front counter to assist with my check-out. She accompanied me to the front desk and I told her what I needed and she asked me for my e-mail address and said one would be mailed to me! I asked her why she couldn't just print one out for me and she stated she did not know how to do it. I then asked where the desk clerk was and was advised that she would be back in 10 minutes and should be back soon, all the while this woman was looking out the front door of the Hotel as if this desk clerk was going to appear by some magic. I left the Hotel and advised this person to tell the desk clerk if one ever showed up that I would never, ever stay at this property again and not only that I would make sure that if it was the same ownership group that owned other similar properties in Grande Prairie I would never stay at any of these other properties. What a lousy impression and bad taste I was left with by this establshment and by the Holiday Inn Express who by the way are part of the IHG Hotel Group. The Priority Club membership that I hold for these properties obviously means nothing, and if really nothing more than a ploy to get people to stay at their properties, regardless of service. I mean what I say and will NEVER stay at this establishment, ever again.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this property.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
nicoles98, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Grande Prairie, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
Dear Guest,

We regret that your recent stay with us was dissatifactory. Thank you for the time you have taken to provide us with this valuable feedback. Your feedback assists us in identifying areas for training and development as well as team member successes.

For instance, we have used your review in our recent Front Desk Team Meeting to remind our agents to note the internet password on key card envelopes; we also congratulated our team members for offering to move you to another room. While this may have been too little, too late for you, we were pleased that they still tried to recover in their service to you.

Please also take note that your review has lead to our development of a morning review with the entire Front Desk and Housekeeping teams regarding special requests in our daily arrivals. It has been going very well so far and we thank you for the lightbulb!

In an industry such as ours, there are many opportunities for a number of things to go wrong at once (such as our internet service which is being updated before the new year we are pleased to report!). That said, we can promise you that our team is made up of long time, dedicated and engaged employees who work very hard and well together and absolutely love the challenge of changing minds when mistakes are made. Should you wish to give us a second try, please let us know (asking to speak with the General Manager so that I might handle your reservation personally) and we would be pleased to accept the opportunity to show you what a normal night at our property feels like.
BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

This is a great place to stay, the staff works hard at making your stay pleasent, although this hotel see's lots of visitors, they do a good job, they will have to upgrade the pillows and the towels in the room soon, the pillows are starting to get lumpy and the titles such as firm and soft mean nothing anymore, also some of the towels are starting to fray and are looking thin.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

I recently stayed here for 3 nights for work. The price was high. The hotel room was clean, and there was even complimentary water. The room even has a microwave. I find the hotel super clean and so was the hotel gym. There was no wireless internet, only wired in. Unfortunately, the shuttle doesn't take you to this hotel.

One downside about this hotel is that there's not a lot around. There's only 1 restaurant, Mr. Mike's across the street. It was an inconvenient location if you didn't have a car. There was no room service in hotel so food choices were limited. The continental breakfast they provide at the hotel was okay. The eggs, bacon, sausage, bread did not look appealing but there were fruit, yogurt, and cereal to choose from.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

I stayed here for 2 weeks and personally had no real problems, other than a dirty rag left on the counter one night and my key didn't work once. The hotel itself is not really near anything other than Mr. Mikes, so be prepared to drive for food.

The low rating is really for my colleagues who had 20 rooms booked that were canceled without notice. Plus there were others who had constant problems with their room keys. Really poor customer service on the canceled rooms and this results in a poor rating, maybe the management will learn their lesson for the next time...

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
nicoles98, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Grande Prairie, responded to this review, May 2, 2011
Dear Guest:

We apologize for the inconvenience of your key not working on your return to the hotel during your stay and for the item left in your room by accident from the cleaning staff. We always strive to be the best and wow all of our guests. Our hotel is located central city and is surrounded by lots of great local restaurants and fast food eateries. Our Front Desk staff is always willing to give our local menus and lists of recommended places to eat if you are not familiar with the area that are within walking distance.

For any large group of rooms or blocks made at the hotel, their are always cut off dates for the rooms being held attached. This is in place to ensure we are not holding non guaranteed rooms. All rooms are released at a minimum of seven days prior to arrival. I apologize on behalf of the hotel if this was not commuincated to your company in the proper manner.

We always do our best to accomodate and satisfy all of our guests and ensure that everyones stay is as memorable as possible.

Again we apologize for any inconveinences you may have had and hope that this does not affect your choice to stay with us while in Grande Prairie.

Management

Been to Holiday Inn Express Grande Prairie? Share your experiences!