“No hot water?” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sandman Hotel Grande Prairie

You added Sandman Hotel Grande Prairie to your Saves list
Sandman Hotel Grande Prairie
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9805 100th Street, Grande Prairie, Alberta T8V 6X3, Canada   |
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Grande Prairie
Edmonton
“No hot water?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

The rooms are dirty and seem really old...not been updated at all. Carpet is dirty, bathroom lights flicker. The only good thing was the coffee. Oh ya...tried to take a shower this morning and there's not a drop of hot water! I'll update this review once the front desk lets us know what the General Manager is going to do about this.

• Stayed February 2014
gm_grandeprairie, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Grande Prairie, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write the review of your stay with Sandman Hotel Grande Prairie. We did have an unfortunate incident with our boiler system, and truly do appreciate the understanding and patience of our guests. We addressed the issue immediately and the part was ordered and has since been repaired. I know this doesn't help with your recent stay, and I do apologize for that. We continue to update our rooms, with specific areas done each year. We have recently completed the flatscreen TVs for each room and have also started a duvet program. As with any major undertaking, it all takes time. Looking to the future we will be adding more duvets, and some new carpeting has recently been installed in some areas, with more to come in near future.
I hope you won't let this past stay deter you from staying with us in the future, as the situation was truly unfortunate on all levels and beyond our control. I take pride in our property and the level of professionalism of my staff. They did the best they could with the situation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

The hotel is showing its age, Bed and furniture are quite old, and the bed sagged enough that my wife and I rolled toward the center a few times in the night. For the price of the room we feel that we paid mostly for the location, and the Sandman name. The staff was friendly and very helpful in the morning. We stayed at the hotel on January 20 2014. We also found the sink drain in the washroom to be almost plugged, so we passed the info on to the staff in the morning. The biggest effect on our sleep was train noise, as the hotel is located right next to an East-West spur track that had trains using it a few times throughout the night and they were blowing their whistles a lot. Even though this is not the hotels fault, it is a reason we feel the price is too much when there is factors that disturbed our stay.
Harvey M

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side may be quieter, being away from the train tracks. Higher floors may be quiet...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Some observations from my stay:
- Located close to train crossing so the train whistle is loud and frequent
- Ran out of hot water in the shower which also happened to a coworker the previous morning
- My "non-smoking" room reeked of smoke and had cigarette burns in the carpet

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Beaverlodge, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Spent one night so we could go to husbands Christmas party.Was nice we could check in about a hour earlier than their 4 o'clock check in time.We were in a smoking room as I am a smoker but their air freshener or cleaner was such a strong smell we had to open the window for some fresh air and when we opened curtains there were 4 beer sitting in the window from the previous guests.Also the bathroom light flickered so bad you couldn't be in there long because it was a great start to a headache.Beds are VERY hard and we wound up checking out by 7:30 just so we could get home to our own bed.Staff was very pleasant.We didn't bother mentioning any of our issues as we were only there for one night and left so early it wasn't worth our time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel about 15-20 nights in the last 3 years or so. I book it because I travel for work and our office is conveniently located across the parking lot. That being said, I’ve stayed in many rooms in this hotel and they all have one thing in common – outdated. The furniture is old and it is showing. The sofas and chairs have stains on them and it’s very unappealing. The carpets are stained and there is an odd smell in the rooms. Can’t tell you what exactly – could be old smoke, mold or who knows what. After the first few stays I made sure to always pack a travel size bottle of Febreeze – it makes a world of difference. Most staff is friendly, although I’ve had an incident with a vending machine eating coins and not giving out the water bottles and when I let reception know about it she was rather rude. Beds are decent – not the most comfortable but not the worst by a long shot.
My last stay was Nov. 14-16. I checked in and had a corner room on the top floor – room was spacious enough and it had a mini fridge which helps when staying for a few days. The first night happened to be very cold and extremely windy – the wind was blowing in through the air conditioner in the wall! Can’t say I’ve had that happen before -turned the heat on but it didn’t warm up quick enough so I layered clothes on and went to bed. A piece of eavestrough was broken and barely hanging on and it kept hitting the wall throughout the night making it difficult to fall and stay asleep.
The next morning I decided to use my “free” stay. If you stay 12 nights you get the 13th free. I checked out and checked back in – I was upgraded to another room on the fourth floor. The room was huge – had a kitchenette, living room, king bed and a Jacuzzi. I was informed that sometimes the Jacuzzi blows the breaker and if that happens I was told what to do to fix it. After a long day of work I was looking forward to a soak in the Jacuzzi tub. I turned it on - nothing happened. Tried the fix I was told about earlier – nothing. Phoned the front desk and told them about it – the receptionist apologized and said there is no one available to fix it and that’s that. There was no offer to move me to another room that had a functioning Jacuzzi. Needless to say, as thrilled as I was with the upgrade to the lovely room I was just as disappointed when the Jacuzzi, which was the highlight of the room did not work. To add salt to injury, as I was leaving the suite the next morning, the housekeeping staff was on the floor and asked how my stay was – I answered them and mentioned that the Jacuzzi did not work which was disappointing. They (2 women) both knew this was an ongoing issue and were surprised that it wasn’t yet fixed. When I checked out the front desk staff asked the same question and I gave the same answer – she asked if I was given the option to switch rooms to which I said no, because when I phoned to complain about the Jacuzzi not working the girl apologized but did not offer any options.
Bottom line – this is not the best or worst hotel I’ve stayed at. It is conveniently located however it would be nice to make a few improvements to make it more appealing: furniture and carpets need to be replaced (at least in the rooms I’ve stayed in with the exception of the last one, and please fix/upgrade/boost the Wi-Fi because it’s iffy at best.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes, Manitoba, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Wow. Travelling from Manitoba to grande prairie AB for 6 nights. Booked online with Expedia (great service there) BUT upon arrival first thing noticed is a broken table leg and homemade looking bedframe with a board sticking out on the one side. It's November, cold enough, add wind blowing in through the air conditioner in the wall! I used the extra blanket from closet to cover the ac, still cold. The only reason we picked The Sandman was for the pool and hottub, what a mess! Dirty shoe prints everywhere, a cold hottub with cigarette butts in it!! Dirty Kleenex on floor. Yuck. I notified the front desk, still dirty (same state) 2 days later- now a sign on the door "pool closed". What a total disappointment- overall. Waiting on a response from the manager and Expedia, want compensation for this!! We would've stayed somewhere cheaper with at least a fridge and microwave in the room had we known- only a tiny coffee maker in here.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere. Period.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Not my first stay likely my last. The non smoking room smelled of smoke and cheap perfume. The train at 3:30 am was a early wake up call that seemed to last for over a half hour of horns and bells. No breakfast yet there is a Denny's in the lobby? Not worth the price.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Sandman Hotel Grande Prairie? Share your experiences!