“Yuk - find somewhere else.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Podollan Inn & Spa

You added Podollan Inn & Spa to your Saves list
Podollan Inn & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10612-99th Avenue, Grande Prairie, Alberta T8V 8E8, Canada   |
Special Offer
Book Direct - SAVE $10
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Grande Prairie
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Vancouver, Canada
“Yuk - find somewhere else.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I was originally booked at the Podollan Inn & Spa down the road, but due to a scheduling mix-up (on my end), they were full and relocated me to the Rez. NEVER again.

The BAD:
First impressions - the "check in desk" appears to be the manager's living room. He barely looked up from his desk, and upon asking for restaurant recommendations, he just laughed and said "nowhere good to eat here".

No proper desk at which to do work, just a kitchen table with no lamp or phone. The TV was mounted right above the kitchen table, making it impossible to sit at the table and watch TV.

The bathroom air vent/fan clanked loudly all night long - I complained, but nothing was done about it. So I had to leave on the fan to prevent it from banging - which just replaced one noise with another.

The bedroom window faced a lamppost in mall parking lot, which was very bright - the shutter blinds did not block out the light . A very uncomfortable night sleep

AND - as I was about to go to bed, someone else entered my room!! It was another guest who had been assigned the same room! I was appalled that this mistake could happen! I called to the front desk, who blamed it on the other hotel not properly checking me in. Regardless of whose mistake, no apology was made. I commented again upon check out, and the clerk (a woman this time) basically shrugged and said I should make a complaint to the management. Thankfully the other guest was as startled as me - but this is a severe safety issue!

There was no daily housekeeping -I was not made aware of this. I paid the same rate at this hotel as at the other property, which is a full service property. There should be a lower rate if fewer services are offered.

The kitchen had not been properly cleaned ahead of time- there was still garbage from the previous guest (a full garbage can).

The Good: the room was very big (a suite setup), with complete kitchen, which would be useful for long term stay.

I wont stay here again, and probably not with the Podallan group, if this is a representation of their properties.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Melanie L, Director of Sales at Podollan Inn & Spa, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards and for that I sincerely apologize. We have reviewed your feedback in detail and have implemented changes.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Fort St. John, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The hotel itself was very nice! the bedrooms clean and bathrooms big and amazing.

The staff was touch and go. The night shift was rude and standoff-ish, (did not greet us and didn't smile once) manually changing the price of our stay from our reservation quote from online. The lady in the morning promptly fixed it and was very nice. Overall the staff didn't seem to really want to be there.

The comp. breakfast is awful. Cereal and muffin - help yourself - and the guy cleaning tables was standing around leaning on his broom while every single table was dirty with used dishes.

The restaurant was very very good and the staff in there (dinnertime) was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Upgrading to a King Bed, totally worth it. Look online for room deals before booking directly with h...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Melanie L, Director of Sales at Podollan Inn & Spa, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
We continually strive to improve and appreciate your feedback. We are training our staff to achieve and offer the highest standards of services. We are working on a new breakfast menu with improvements to the complimentary part of it. We are pleased that overall you liked the hotel, Jax Grill & Lounge and your stay in the King Bachelor room with spacious washroom was comfortable.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Rooms here were clean and a good size. Bathroom was HUGE and is the nicest feature of the entire place: double sinks, separate toilet, soaker tub. TV in the bedroom was pretty small and the room didn't really seem to have air conditioning, despite the adjustable thermostat. Also my bed felt like it had a giant sinkhole that hurt my back and made it difficult to sleep.

The restaurant here was terrible. It was very busy and under staffed. We asked for a bottle of wine but they hardly had any in stock. The food is decent (edible) and large portions but the prices are high. There are definitely better places to have a $50 meal.

This hotel was pretty average. For about the same price I would rather stay at the Pomeroy as it has a better breakfast, a pool, kitchenettes and larger tvs. The Podollan does have the restaurant (but I would eat elsewhere anyways) and a spa (which I couldn't get into because it was booked up a week in advance).

If you stay here you might not be disappointed but you won't be impressed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Melanie L, Director of Sales at Podollan Inn & Spa, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are pleased you liked the spacious and luxurious bathrooms and your room was clean. Our housekeeping staff is addressing the bed. Jax Grill and Lounge has a new award winning Executive Chef and management. We are introducing a new menu with a pub-style dining experience within the next couple of weeks, including more drink options. We hope you will enjoy these changes.

Being recognized as one of the “Top 50 Spas in Canada” and one of the “Top 25 Things To Do in Alberta”, The L Spa and Wellness Centre has an extensive client following. Through the seat sale promotion, the Spa offers hotel guests and clients, last minute spa treatment reservations from short notice cancellations. We regret there were no openings for you this time and we encourage you to call ahead prior to your next stay so that you can be pampered.
Calgary, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed at the Podollan Inn Suites & Spa for 3 days and 2 nights for a business trip.

Room:
I didn’t spend much time in my room on this trip other than to sleep and shower I was sharing a room with a co-worker and my only complaint about the room is that there was only 1 mirror and a small one at that! 2 females trying to get ready in a bathroom with a small mirror was a pain. I had to rely on one of the 3 full length mirrors in the lobby...

JAX:
Our first night, 6 of us went to JAX for drinks and appetizers. JAX was not busy at all and our waiter was extremely slow. We had to remind him about the chicken fingers we ordered. It also took 15 minutes for our drinks to arrive.

On our last day at the Podollan, a co-worker and I went to JAX for breakfast (after 10 a.m. the complimentary continental breakfast is no longer available). We were the only patrons. Again, service was extremely slow. Food was tasty though.

The L Spa & wellness Centre:
Upon my arrival at the Podollan, I booked a 45 minutes deep tissue massage. Book early as the spa fills up quickly! My massage with Magda was fantastic! Both before and after my treatment, I hung out in the relaxation room where they play music, have reclining chairs, magazines, water and fruit & nuts to snack on.

Overall, I would recommend the Podollan Inn Suites & Spa and would visit again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Melanie L, Director of Sales at Podollan Inn & Spa, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
We appreciate your feedback about the mirror in your room and we are looking into it. Customer satisfaction is important to us. We now have a new manager and changes are being implemented at JAX Grill and Lounge. We offer a new Wellness Bar with freshly squeezed juices and smoothies with organic, gluten and dairy free options; we have a new Executive Chef; and a new menu is coming soon. We are delighted you had a fantastic experience at The L Spa and Wellness Centre. The L Spa has been recognized by SPAwards with the “Top 50 Spas in Canada” award. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Did a 10 hunting trip in Canada. Stayed here on way in and way out. Rooms are great . Shared a double room...two bedrooms with my son. Great beds and linens, Clean, nice bathrooms, spacious, copious amount of towels,
Nice free breakfast from 6am.

Stayed October 2012
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one week for work a business trip with co-workers because it was recommended by others from the office. The whole hotel is very modern inside with lots of stonework on the walls and all of the rooms have modern furniture and flat screen TVs. The beds were comfortable too. However, there is one small window in each room, so it was pretty dark. If you spend a lot of time working in your room, it needs more light. The TV was annoying because there was a menu you had to scroll through each time to get to the TV channels. I like turning the TV off and having the last channel you were at to be right there the next time you turn the TV on. The bathroom had a nice enclosed shower, so there was no water all over the floor like with many hotels after a shower. The door keys usually needed 3 or 4 attempts to get the door open. For each day you declined the housekeeping service, they gave you a $5.00 coupon to use in their lounge. We got the $9.99 lunch special (wrap with soup) for $4.99 several times with the coupon. You have to use the coupon the same day...you can't accumulate them. There were a few hotties working in the lounge too! The continental breakfast was really good, for a breakfast that didn't serve hot items. There were plenty of options: multiple types of toast, bagels, muffins, strudels, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, cereal, fruit salad, apples/oranges/bananas, coffee/tea and orange or cranberry juice. The eating area was very nice, but small with only 6 booths. The TV was always on TSN at breakfast....I'd rather watch news in the morning than golf. The elevators were fast and the staff was helpful. When we got there, 3 out of 4 of us had no microwaves. They replaced mine 2 days later with a broken microwave. It was annoying going up and down to use the microwave in the breakfast area. They finally replaced the broken microwave on my second last day. The internet was good because I brought a network cable. Don't whine if the wireless internet is choppy...bring a network cable people! The parking lot around the hotel is usually full in the evenings and hard to drive in and out with a larger vehicle. There was underground parking available, but the ramp going down was SO steep! Drive in very slowly or it will cause damage. They provided daily passes to the World Gym across the street if you wanted to go for a workout. I didn't try the spa and we all stayed at the Inn, not the Residence, which is about 6 blocks away. There was a Wal-Mart and Save On Foods (my least favourite 2 grocery places) nearby. This place just needs to invest in better microwaves and maybe some more lights in their dark rooms. Otherwise, it was a very quiet, comfortable and pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Clean rooms great under ground parking and hotel restaurant were excellent I would stay here again and highly recommend this hotel. Spa service is great and recommend using it. Thanks so much for the pleasurable experience

• Stayed September 2012
Melanie L, Director of Sales at Podollan Inn & Spa, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Been to Podollan Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!