“Happiness depends on where you stay (and eat) at this hotel 2” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sawridge Inn and Conference Centre Fort McMurray

You added Sawridge Inn and Conference Centre Fort McMurray to your Saves list
Sawridge Inn and Conference Centre Fort McMurray
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   530 Mackenzie Boulevard, Fort McMurray, Alberta T9H 4C8, Canada   |
Special Offer
Book Early & Save Big
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Fort McMurray
Edmonton, Canada
“Happiness depends on where you stay (and eat) at this hotel 2”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel again, wanting to give it a second chance. This time around, I am happy to say there were no problems with the room, as I stayed on the 2nd floor, far away from the door that separates the wing from the main building. However, the restaurant was a huge problem.

I stayed Friday night, and so I went to the restaurant for the Crab Buffet ($47). I went at 7pm, and at 8pm, the restaurant ran out of crab legs. This shows me incredibly poor planning - I don't care if it is "busy," a restaurant should ALWAYS be prepared or have a contingency plan. I had a total of three crab legs for a total of $47. I suppose it wouldn't have been a problem if there was anything else that could compare, but there wasn't. Roast beef and pork was available, but neither one was impressive (dry and tasteless). In the case of the roast beef, I had to hunt down someone to cut the beef for me.

I went the next morning for the breakfast buffet, and unfortunately, the breakfast continues to be terrible. The sausages are incredibly poor quality (they must be 70% filler or more), the eggs were cold and tasteless, the bacon was incredibly greasy, the fruit was tasteless (with the exception of the pineapple), and the coffee was stale. The only good thing I had was toast and butter. I wanted peanut butter, but the kitchen staff began their changeover at about 9:15am (breakfast ends at 10) and pretty much no condiments were available. This is the 3rd poor quality breakfast I've had here, and I won't ever be doing it again.

On the first night, the service was pretty poor. I had to get my own cutlery and napkins -- and no, they weren't available at the buffet station. The waiter was apologetic when we went to pay, of course, but that was the only time I heard a peep out of him. During breakfast, service was average.

So, here's the verdict -- if you stay at this hotel:

* request a room deep in room wings, far away from the noisy doors that separate the wings from the main building, and you'll be happy

* avoid the restaurant and you'll be happy. Drive (5-10 min) down to Prime Social Kitchen for a decent meal (dinner or breakfast). If you're desperate, I would still avoid the restaurant and drive to Burger King or McDonalds (5 min). Both restaurants are towards Fort McMurray.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

This hotel ticks all the boxes for business or leisure. Its clean, serves hot meals morning & night, in a good location, good parking, has hottub & pool & good internet. The rooms are clean & beds very comfortable.

• Stayed August 2013
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Stayed here multiple times while in Fort McMurray for work, has always been a very positive experience. In terms of affordability it is expensive for a regular hotel rate, but no hotels are cheap in Fort McMurray - so this one is about on par.

The hotel itself is unique and interesting. The highlight of the hotel is the pool/cabana area and the amazing restaurant/lounge. DEFINITELY cannot miss the lounge - it is great for winding down. The breakfast is also incredible - one of the best hotel breakfasts I've yet had. The rooms themselves are slightly dated, but well maintained and comfortable.

Only downside is the hotel is popular so is usually booked up... book early!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Looks good at first. Walking thru you can tell it need some TLC.
The pillows had some blood/bloodstain on them.
The bathroom floor tile has some yellow chunky stuff stuck to it. The ceiling above the shower as well as the shower tile had green boogers stuck to them.
The shower was not a full surround, but made up of tile and grout. The grout has mold/mildew in the majority of it. This is a hazard to anyone with asthma, or allergies.
The exterior of the tub has minteral buildup and was not nice to look at and not inviting at all. The floor the the corner by the door has the same mineral/dirt build up. All the baseboards are covered in dust dirt and smears.

On a more positive note, the hearthstone grill provides a great breakfast buffet, and the dinner buffet we tried once, a little pricy, but the food was tasty, and had a good variety.
The servers were prompt, and pleasant.

• Stayed July 2013
SawridgeFM, General Manager at Sawridge Inn and Conference Centre Fort McMurray, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Macbethune,
I was shocked by your report on the state of your room. Our Executive Housekeeper will take his team to task on this so not to occur again. I apologise for this disappointing experience. This is simply not even close to our standard. Your kind comments on the Hearthstone Grille are appreciated. I will pass them on to our serving and kitchen teams. Thank you for informing us.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed at the Sawridge on a business trip and had organized an employee event there, our company was hosting a town hall event for just over 100 people. The room was comfortable and the staff was friendly.

The room I had booked was great and everything was going well for the afternoon event and evening get together with food and drinks. Unfortunately, half way through the event, the fire alarm went off and we had to evacuate.

There was a fire in their laundry room, so we couldn't finish our event, but received a full refund and the management was very professional and apologetic.

I would stay and organize an event there again, after all, bad things can happen sometimes and they seemed to have done everything in their power to keep everyone happy, despite the circumstances.

Room Tip: You get a voucher for breakfast at the hotel's restaurant, it was very good!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I went for Lunch, I ordered a Main Salad, it took 45 min for me to receive my food, my friends opted for the lunch buffet, they were finished their meal when I received the Salad.... It consisted of Crispy Friend chicken, that looked like Burnt French fries, and Hard, I let my waitress know and Back to the kitchen went the salad, another 10 min and I received what looked and tasted like Processed Chicken, with NO FLAVOUR. The rest of the salad was fresh, strawberries, cashews, avocado very nice, but not exceptional in any way and I would not order again, Service was not great..... Extremely Slow and really seemed like she didn't want to be there, we felt like a bother, we constantly had to ask, first if she would take our order, because she assumed we were having the Buffet, and always had to ask for a coffee refill, she didn't ask why all the chicken was left on my plate, We left feeling like we were treated Second rate !!!! Far from a pleasant experience...........

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I've stayed here a few times, and where I stay in the hotel really affects how I feel about it. I've had the unfortunate experience of staying the bank of rooms that run from 101-124, and it's horrible. The walls doors are thin, the first rooms are connected and the connecting doors let any and every sound through, and the main door connecting the hotel to the bank of rooms makes a huge SLAM when it closes. This is actually a problem wherever you stay on the first floor - when the main door connecting each bank of rooms shuts, it slams so loudly that if your room is anywhere close to the main door, you're going to be woken up. Something REALLY needs to be done about this.. I've stayed in hostels that were quieter! It's now at the point where if I get a room close to a connecting door, I'm going to refuse the room or go elsewhere, and anyone reading this review should too.

If you stay on the upper floors, far away from the connecting doors, then you're fine. Otherwise, you're not going to get a good night's sleep.

The restaurant is good. The menu seems to have been cut back recently. That's too bad.

I like the little pool and hot tub. They always seem to be clean and well-taken care of.

So -- get those connecting doors padded, fixed, whatever, and then you'll have a quality hotel.

Thanks.

Room Tip: DO NOT ACCEPT ANY ROOM WITH A LOW NUMBER! If you do you will be close to the connecting doors (or en...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
SawridgeFM, General Manager at Sawridge Inn and Conference Centre Fort McMurray, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for the comments. We ordinarily receive rave reviews on our food and beverage offerings so we were quite surprised to hear your feedback. There is indeed no excuse for running out of crab legs, this was an ununsual circumstance. We maintain a high standard of food quality and service. This is reflected in our overall guest comments and many return clients. I am very sorry we did not meet your expectations. It is our goal that every guest has a great experience.

Been to Sawridge Inn and Conference Centre Fort McMurray? Share your experiences!