“Many day stay...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nomad Hotel and Suites

You added Nomad Hotel and Suites to your Saves list
Nomad Hotel and Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10006 MacDonald Avenue, Fort McMurray, Alberta T9H 1S8, Canada   |
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Fort McMurray
“Many day stay...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I stayed 34 nights at the Nomad and all in all it was pleasent! The only issue I had was the shower drain was a might slow, but not terrible. I travel 300+ days every year for work and have been in some holes! The room was average, cleaned well every day and the staff was always helpful. I had packages, parts, sent to the hotel several times and in one instance Ann and Helen went way out of the way to help me with a delivery!! And they are cute too! Thank you...

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Athabasca, AB
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Arrived on Monday afternoon to stay for 2 nights. We were in town to volunteer at a casino fundraiser for our figure skating club and our club booked and paid for many rooms (10+). Overall I heard nothing but complaints from our travelling companions and my husband and I were not pleased. The rooms are worn down and shabby looking. Cleanliness wise I would say it is barely satisfactory. The bathtub drained slowly and the shower felt like it was ripping my skin off. The hot and cold water were finicky, minor adjustments caused major fluctuations in shower temperature. There was no makeup mirror in the bathroom and poor lighting which made it difficult to prep in the morning. The sun woke me up before I wanted to because the curtains were not quite long enough and caused the sun to be directly in my eyes, which SUCKS when you were up working late at a casino and just want to catch up on sleep. I can only imagine how awful this is during the summer when it is light out for most of the day. Volunteering at the casino meant we had to stay late (2-3am) at the Casino... so we would not to get to sleep until quite late. Having to drive the next day, we asked for a late checkout on Wednesday so we could get a decent amount of sleep before having to hit HWY 63. The hotel turned us down and said there would be absolutely no late checkout unless we paid an extra $20/hr, so we had to get up early, shower and pack and checkout at 11, which meant we had to drive while we were still quite tired from working late at the casino. I was not happy about having to hit that highway while still exhausted. They could not even give us an extra hour?? . Other members of our party complained of bathtubs not draining, being unable to get into their rooms (one member had to switch rooms 2 different times). We have stayed at this hotel for our casino fundraisers before but next year I will make sure that next time our club chooses a different property under different management/company that can provide us the service and flexibility we need when volunteering on the late shift. Overall a dismal and exhausting experience. Did not sleep well there, did not feel like a valued customer as they were rigidly inflexible on everything, and will not return.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
nomadinngm, General Manager at Nomad Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet up to your expectations on this trip, and will share your comments with our staff. If you would like to contact me directly I would be happy to discuss with you the issues you encountered, and hope that your next visit will better meet your needs.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

stayed here in february. 279$ a night i was expecting more.. fort mac or not at that price you can update your rooms. for what i paid for a week they could have redone the room completely lol..

box tv... yes i said old tube tv .. hmm deft not what i expected at all..closet door was broken.. yes it didnt close without falling down.. hotel is more outdated then any hotel i seen ever..

room was clean though. shower head deft has no pressure was very hard to get soap out of hair lol..

keg restaurant downstairs is nice, starbucks downstairs aswell (bonus)..

would i stay here here again. no.. not for that price and that outdated.. need to do some remodeling to say the least. but if you dont mind that then it is a clean hotel with nice staff.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your comments I will pass them on to our front desk and housekeeping staff. We were at the time of your stay just in middle of replacing all of our TV’s in the hotel and now have 42”LCDs in all of our guest rooms, and are looking to continue with more renovations in the near future.

Fort Smith, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Fort McMurray is an expensive town to stay, but for $200 this is one of the leas expensive hotels in town. The rooms have been updated but the building is old and It shows. Beds were reasonable. Duvet covers did not appear to be changed, but rather flipped over To appear cleaned. This seems to be the case based on grubby finger prints on the duvet covers at the end of the bed.

The rest of the room appeared clean, but the television remote was very dirty to the point I washed it before using it. Bathtub had far too much hair in it when I arrived and did not hold water to take a bath.

Breakfast is at an attached restaurant. 2.00 extra buys a plain 2 egg breakfast. Not a very good one, but edible. Service in the restaurant was abysmal, but front desk at the hotel was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: As always, farther from the elevator is better. The doors on the rooms seem to amplify noise from t...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
nomadinngm, General Manager at Nomad Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for your comments both positive and negative. We have examined the issues you rose and implemented some new procedures to make sure the housekeeping concerns are better handled. I have passed on your comments to all of our staff, and I hope that the changes we have implemented will show on your next stay and meets your expectations.

Sherwood Park, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I travel regularly from Calgary to Fort McMurray for work. When available, I always try and stay here as it close & convenient to our downtown office. The hotel is definitely dated but the front office staff are friendly and the rooms are always clean.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
nomadinngm, General Manager at Nomad Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are in the midst of completing our latest renovations and upgrades. Included in this we should very shortly have all of our hotel rooms upgraded with 42" flat screen TV's as well as a high quality HD signal. I will also gladly let the staff know to keep up their good work as it is always appreciated by everyone of us, when one of our guests applaud the hard work they do daily.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I can't say enough good things about this hotel!! I had never been to Fort Mac before and had to go for business. I looked at all the hotels in the area and read several reviews before making my choice. And I have to say I couldn't be happier with my stay at the Nomad. EVERY staff member I encountered was genuinely happy to help me AND it showed they were happy with their job!! The front desk staff, the cleaning staff and the cafe staff were all, by far, the most helpful and friendly employees I have ever interacted with in a hotel!! The room was just as I had booked, a late check in time was no problem and the FREE breakfast was great, AND offered a $2 upgrade for a full hot breakfast including bacon, sausage, ham, eggs and toast!! I will be returning to Fort Mac again for business and would not even consider staying at a different hotel. GREAT hotel for the price, location and a problem-free stay in Fort Mac!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
nomadinngm, Manager at Nomad Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments; I will make sure to pass on your compliments to all the staff and department heads. I hope to welcome you back soon.

Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I have been staying at the Nomad every week for the past two months for one night a week. I have just been told that I am no longer welcome there as I will not take the 2 night minimum that they have now set as hotel policy. I will be coming for the next year and will no longer stay at the Nomad. It is an average hotel at best and some of the rooms are far more run down than others. I had chosen to stay there because it was close to where I am working. It is unfortunate that they treat loyal customers this way.
The staff have always been friendly and do what they can to accommodate their guests. It is the management that sets such policies and they do not care as they have more business than they can handle. One day that may not be the case and the other hotels will be in a better position if they treat their customers better.
We have several consultants staying in Fort McMurray and I will advise them to select an alternate hotel if possible.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room in the tower. Do not accept an non-renovated room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
nomadinngm, General Manager at Nomad Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for your comments; we appreciate all feedback that we receive. I would first like to express that you are a valued Guest, and I would like to explain from our side what you experienced when you tried to make a reservation recently. When our availability is extremely limited, we sometimes limit our inventory so that we can ensure space for our Guests who are requiring longer stays and availability and for those whose travel arrangements may be more last minute. This is a general change, but we also make exceptions. Please, if at any time you experience this again, contact me directly for a reservation confirmation. I hope this clarifies the concern you had and we hope you will continue to make our hotel your choice while in Fort McMurray.