“Regular Work Visit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nomad Hotel and Suites

You added Nomad Hotel and Suites to your Saves list
Nomad Hotel and Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10006 Mac Donald Avenue, Fort McMurray, Alberta T9H 1S8, Canada   |
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Fort McMurray
Sherwood Park, Canada
“Regular Work Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I travel regularly from Calgary to Fort McMurray for work. When available, I always try and stay here as it close & convenient to our downtown office. The hotel is definitely dated but the front office staff are friendly and the rooms are always clean.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
nomadinngm, General Manager at Nomad Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are in the midst of completing our latest renovations and upgrades. Included in this we should very shortly have all of our hotel rooms upgraded with 42" flat screen TV's as well as a high quality HD signal. I will also gladly let the staff know to keep up their good work as it is always appreciated by everyone of us, when one of our guests applaud the hard work they do daily.

Mike Harlick GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I can't say enough good things about this hotel!! I had never been to Fort Mac before and had to go for business. I looked at all the hotels in the area and read several reviews before making my choice. And I have to say I couldn't be happier with my stay at the Nomad. EVERY staff member I encountered was genuinely happy to help me AND it showed they were happy with their job!! The front desk staff, the cleaning staff and the cafe staff were all, by far, the most helpful and friendly employees I have ever interacted with in a hotel!! The room was just as I had booked, a late check in time was no problem and the FREE breakfast was great, AND offered a $2 upgrade for a full hot breakfast including bacon, sausage, ham, eggs and toast!! I will be returning to Fort Mac again for business and would not even consider staying at a different hotel. GREAT hotel for the price, location and a problem-free stay in Fort Mac!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
nomadinngm, Manager at Nomad Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments; I will make sure to pass on your compliments to all the staff and department heads. I hope to welcome you back soon.

Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I have been staying at the Nomad every week for the past two months for one night a week. I have just been told that I am no longer welcome there as I will not take the 2 night minimum that they have now set as hotel policy. I will be coming for the next year and will no longer stay at the Nomad. It is an average hotel at best and some of the rooms are far more run down than others. I had chosen to stay there because it was close to where I am working. It is unfortunate that they treat loyal customers this way.
The staff have always been friendly and do what they can to accommodate their guests. It is the management that sets such policies and they do not care as they have more business than they can handle. One day that may not be the case and the other hotels will be in a better position if they treat their customers better.
We have several consultants staying in Fort McMurray and I will advise them to select an alternate hotel if possible.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room in the tower. Do not accept an non-renovated room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
nomadinngm, General Manager at Nomad Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for your comments; we appreciate all feedback that we receive. I would first like to express that you are a valued Guest, and I would like to explain from our side what you experienced when you tried to make a reservation recently. When our availability is extremely limited, we sometimes limit our inventory so that we can ensure space for our Guests who are requiring longer stays and availability and for those whose travel arrangements may be more last minute. This is a general change, but we also make exceptions. Please, if at any time you experience this again, contact me directly for a reservation confirmation. I hope this clarifies the concern you had and we hope you will continue to make our hotel your choice while in Fort McMurray.

Camrose, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

My boyfriend is working in town and I come for a visit to fort mcmurray once in awhile to visit. I found the front desk very helpful, and efficient. The room itself seemed a bit dated and old to me but it was clean and everything worked , which was fine. I could hear the drunk guy in next room once in awhile but once he passed out I slept like a baby. The stay was about average and I felt the rates were average for this town, anywhere lese in the world they would be high. The bed seemed hard to me but my boyfriend found it fine.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your candid comments on Trip Advisor and complementing our service. We hope to welcome you back next time you are in Fort McMurray.

Fort McMurray, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

its been late night check in and need something to rest, nice king bed, i have my relaxing rest during that night front desk is approachable need to upgrade TV but its nothing to me cause i dont like to have fun watching tv during my stay, full of amenities, nothing else looking for to stay if your in fort mac with entertainment,

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
nomadinngm, General Manager at Nomad Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are all very pleased to hear that we were able to provide you with a relaxing and pleasant stay. In a continuation of our ongoing upgrade and renovations, we are now upgrading all of our existing TV’s to 42” LCD’s, 57 rooms are done already, and we should complete the remainder by September this year. Please let us know when you return and we will assign you one of our completely renovated rooms.

Hope to see you again soon,

Greenwood, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Clean rooms and friendly staff make an Outstanding combination. I have been staying here a week/month for the last 4 years. I have never had a bad experience here. The staff are professioanl and yet very personable. They go out of their way to accomidate.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
nomadinngm, General Manager at Nomad Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words. All of our staff truly enjoys having you stay with us and we hope to see that continue far in to the future. See you next month.

Edmonton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The first "non-smoking" room I was put in smelled very strongly of smoke and perfume, so I asked for a new room. The lady at the front desk was very friendly, apologetic, and promptly put me in a new room. The new room didn't smell like smoke, but it was like a cheap honeymoon suite. It had old carpet that was partly torn, and that had a few stains (one VERY large) on the carpet. I wore my shoes/slippers the entire time I was in the hotel because it felt dirty. My bed also had the old-style blankets and I couldn't help but wonder how many people had used them over the decades. There were fake plants in the room, an old four-poster bed, and mirrors surrounding the bedside-jacuzzi -- not the type of room I was looking for on my business trip. I kept imagining where the carpet stains came from in such a "romantic" suite. I didn't sleep well because I just felt uncomfortable and unclean. Also, the breakfast choices were quite limited. The location is good in the sense that it is close to lots of amenities, but it is also in a shady part of town. I went for a short (2-3 blocks) walk to the grocery store, and encountered a woman stumbling across the street and a man with his pants down passed out on a bench. I travel a lot, and I never feel homesickness, but this trip made me feel very lonely for home. This hotel could use a good renovation!n Many of the halls were also very smoky. Otherwise, the workout room was ok (tiny, but good enough). Parking was included and fairly good (although half of it was across the street). The lady at the front desk was considerate enough to call and ask if my second room was better, and although it wasn't good, it smelled better than the first one and I didn't want to ask for another switch. Next time I'm in Fort McMurray, I'll try a different hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
nomadinngm, General Manager at Nomad Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for your candid comments about your recent stay with us. Reviews like this show us where we can improve. First of all, I am happy to hear that our Guest Service team tried to assist you and thank you for mentioning that good service. We have addressed with our housekeeping team, the smoke smell that was in a non-smoking room. We do have procedures in place for when this occurs and apologize this was not the case for your stay. We will continue to enforce and monitor these procedures so that our Guests comfort is not sacrificed. With regards to the final room assigned during your stay, that room is one of the last of our rooms to benefit from our recent refurbishment. It was one of the last available rooms on that day to offer you and we were hoping that it would be seen as an upgrade, I apologize that it was not the case, due to your comments we have addressed the points you highlighted with our maintenance and housekeeping teams. Again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we hope we can provide another opportunity to serve you in our newer rooms.

Mike Harlick
GM Nomad Hotel

Been to Nomad Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!