“Outstanding facility” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nomad Hotel and Suites

You added Nomad Hotel and Suites to your Saves list
Nomad Hotel and Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10006 Mac Donald Avenue, Fort McMurray, Alberta T9H 1S8, Canada   |
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Fort McMurray
Greenwood, South Carolina
“Outstanding facility”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Clean rooms and friendly staff make an Outstanding combination. I have been staying here a week/month for the last 4 years. I have never had a bad experience here. The staff are professioanl and yet very personable. They go out of their way to accomidate.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
nomadinngm, General Manager at Nomad Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words. All of our staff truly enjoys having you stay with us and we hope to see that continue far in to the future. See you next month.

Mike Harlick GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Edmonton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The first "non-smoking" room I was put in smelled very strongly of smoke and perfume, so I asked for a new room. The lady at the front desk was very friendly, apologetic, and promptly put me in a new room. The new room didn't smell like smoke, but it was like a cheap honeymoon suite. It had old carpet that was partly torn, and that had a few stains (one VERY large) on the carpet. I wore my shoes/slippers the entire time I was in the hotel because it felt dirty. My bed also had the old-style blankets and I couldn't help but wonder how many people had used them over the decades. There were fake plants in the room, an old four-poster bed, and mirrors surrounding the bedside-jacuzzi -- not the type of room I was looking for on my business trip. I kept imagining where the carpet stains came from in such a "romantic" suite. I didn't sleep well because I just felt uncomfortable and unclean. Also, the breakfast choices were quite limited. The location is good in the sense that it is close to lots of amenities, but it is also in a shady part of town. I went for a short (2-3 blocks) walk to the grocery store, and encountered a woman stumbling across the street and a man with his pants down passed out on a bench. I travel a lot, and I never feel homesickness, but this trip made me feel very lonely for home. This hotel could use a good renovation!n Many of the halls were also very smoky. Otherwise, the workout room was ok (tiny, but good enough). Parking was included and fairly good (although half of it was across the street). The lady at the front desk was considerate enough to call and ask if my second room was better, and although it wasn't good, it smelled better than the first one and I didn't want to ask for another switch. Next time I'm in Fort McMurray, I'll try a different hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
nomadinngm, General Manager at Nomad Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for your candid comments about your recent stay with us. Reviews like this show us where we can improve. First of all, I am happy to hear that our Guest Service team tried to assist you and thank you for mentioning that good service. We have addressed with our housekeeping team, the smoke smell that was in a non-smoking room. We do have procedures in place for when this occurs and apologize this was not the case for your stay. We will continue to enforce and monitor these procedures so that our Guests comfort is not sacrificed. With regards to the final room assigned during your stay, that room is one of the last of our rooms to benefit from our recent refurbishment. It was one of the last available rooms on that day to offer you and we were hoping that it would be seen as an upgrade, I apologize that it was not the case, due to your comments we have addressed the points you highlighted with our maintenance and housekeeping teams. Again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we hope we can provide another opportunity to serve you in our newer rooms.

Mike Harlick
GM Nomad Hotel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Some of the rooms are really nice, front desk staff is some of the best I have ever met. Really good location right down town where everything is happening. I highly recommend this hotel, parking in the area isn't the greatest but I found a spot because I got there earlier then my co workers so I lucked out on that one for sure.

• Stayed March 2013
nomadinngm, General Manager at Nomad Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments. I will be sure to pass them on to all of our staff. We hope to see you back soon and that your next trip is just as good.

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I have stayed at the Nomad Inn many times over the last 20 years. It has been renovated over the last few years and is very acceptable. The hotel is well located and minutes from the Suncor Centre and business locations downtown. It is just south of the river and gives good access to Highway 63 and the oilsands mines north. The rooms are clean and well appointed. The wireless Internet is very good. There is a very good Keg Restaurant attached to the lobby. The staff are friendly and very helpful. The continental breakfast included with the room is basic but adequate. The only problem we have had is with a few of the electrical outlets, which appear to have been missed during renovations and are quite worn, to the point that they do not hold a plug. As far as business hotels go in Fort McMurray, this would be a solid choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
nomadinngm, General Manager at Nomad Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for your comments.

We are all very pleased that your stay with us enjoyable and that all of the staff were able to help and be of service to you throughout your stay. We are continuing our renovations and improvements throughout the hotel and hope to have all of our rooms fully ready in the next month. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Vegreville Alberta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

The Nomad is not my usual choice of accomodations in Ft. McMurray as I like to stay away from the downtown core as much as possible. I unfortunaetly had to stay here for two night recently. The lowlights clearly out weigh the highlights of this hotel. This place appears to be under renovations with no sign of anyone renovating. There is limited parking available. Once you leave the hotel and adventure outside you do not feel safe going for a walk. I had noticed the floor was not vacuumed behind the entry door as there was a pile of dirt and lint in the corner along with a crawling insect. I must add the bed was comfortable and appeared to be clean. The contenential breakfast is somewhat a joke as you get a choice of coffee or juice box, bagel or toast (but they had no bread one morning or a muffin) The toasted bagel came in a bag with cream cheese.
One thing to note is the front desk staff are very accomodating and friendly. If you must stay here look around as its not really worth the price you have to pay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Nomad Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Thank you for your comments.

We have completed renovations in close to 60% of our room over the last year and will continue into the end of this year for the remainder of them.

I apologize for the state that your room was in. I assure that this will be brought up with our staff immediately. If you can please contact me directly next time you come to Fort McMurray, I would like to make your next stay meet yours and my expectations.

North Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012 via mobile

The Nomad is centrally located in the middle of absolutely nothing. To be fair, Ft. McMurray is a horrible town, so any hotel here would get an unfair review. However...

...the rooms are very dated, relatively clean but found dirt on the carpet and crumbs on the desk. Seems like the housekeeper was in a rush. Comfortable beds but I wouldn't sit on the stained couch.

Tried to get breakfast, but good luck finding any without a walk.

As I said, not impressed with the town, and there has to be better hotels here.

Stayed April 2012
nomadinngm, General Manager at Nomad Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Thank you for your comments. I was concerned to read that our hotel did not live up to your expectations.

Our downtown location is one of the many reasons our guests choose our hotel over several others in the area. Due to our downtown location, and in addition to the coffee shop in our lobby which provides a complimentary continental breakfast for our guests, we also have close to a dozen popular restaurants located within a few hundred meters of the hotel.

Your hotel room was one of the few remaining rooms that have not yet been renovated. We will be doing renovations to these rooms over the next few months and this will complete the renovation project for the entire hotel which we started in August of last year.

I was also concerned to read that your room was not up to the standard of cleanliness that we pride ourselves in. I will personally address this issue with our housekeeping team. If you are coming back to Fort McMurray in the near future please contact me directly and I will see that your next stay is more enjoyable and comfortable in one of our renovated rooms.

Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011 via mobile

Visiting Fort McMurray is a bit like visiting a gold rush town in the Wild West, and this hotel further reinforces this impression.

Cheaply built rooms, feel like they have been refurbed in the last 5 or 10 years, but serioulsy on the cheap. The shower bath combo is has one of those plastic shell preform inserts, modern and functional, but again, cheap.

Poorly maintained, block air conditioner stuck on the external wall of the room, big fat CRT TV in a huge TV cabinet. You get the picture. Parking is limited and problematic.

The hotel doesn't have any food and beverage themselves, but there is easy access to a Keg and a coffee shop in the building. By the way, for the $199 per night rate, I got a Free breakfast voucher to the coffee shop. I had to smile, a fruit juice in a box, a bakery item (toast or muffin or bagel), and a coffee, all served school cafeteria style.

Go somewhere else if you can, the local recommended the Merit Inn.

• Stayed November 2011
nomadinngm, General Manager at Nomad Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Thank you very much for your comments. We apologize that your recent stay with us did not live up to your expectations.

We have just completed the first part of our planned renovations a few months ago. These have included new beds, new linens, and new furniture in 70 percent of our rooms. We will be extending and completing these renovations to our remaining 3 floors in the next 6 months, and will also be completing the upgrades to our TV’s and other in-room electronics durring this time.

Thank you again for your comments, and if you plan on coming back to Fort McMurray, let us know and we will do our best to provide you with the product and service that you are expecting.

Been to Nomad Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!