“Nice but not great” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Matrix Hotel

You added Matrix Hotel to your Saves list
Matrix Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10640 100 Avenue NW | 107th Street NW, Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3N8, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Advance Booking Special
Ranked #13 of 90 Hotels in Edmonton
Calgary, AB
“Nice but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel this summer and I was a not overly impressed. We only stay at hotels without the children a few times a year so we like to stay in higher end places when we do get the chance. This hotel was nice but not what I consiter high end.

The room was nice but lacked warmth and felt cramped. The bathroom was small and unimpressive, no soaker tub, no frills really. The breakfast area was understaffed, packed and the tables were left unbussed so we had to sit at a dirty table. Many items ran out and the staff didn't seem to be in a real hurry to restock. I have had better breakfast service at 3 star family resorts.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Management2009, Director of Operations at Matrix Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2009
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your valuable comments. It is only through customer feedback that we are able to continuously improve.

You will be pleased to learn that we have made numerous changes in our Hospitality Suite over the past few months. I am sure you would be impressed with the breakfast service we are now providing.

We hope you will allow us the opportunity to host you again. Please contact me directly when returning to the Edmonton area and I would be more than happy to look after your next stay with us.

Director of Operations, Sharon Long

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Lloydminster, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

I was in Edmonton for business the last few days. I chose the Matrix off our corporate list since it was close to the office. I was very impressed with it. My only slight complaints with the hotel were the lack of a proper bathroom door and the noise that bleeds through the walls when the next room has a shower/uses the toilet. I had booked a standard room and was upgraded(?) to a room on the third floor which had a private patio. I'm glad the weather this past week was springlike as I was able to enjoy the patio. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who needs to be downtown.

One piece of advise though, Edmonton is hard to figure out directions in. Just be sure to take note that this hotel is on 100 Ave and 106 St. I got the avenue and street mixed up and ended up a long way from the hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Alberta, Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

I booked this hotel as a surprise for my three year anniversary and I had inquired about any specials or romantic packages they might have, fortunately I had booked early enough they gave up free room upgrade to the sterling suite. I am so pleased that they did because the room was amazing I appreciate the reservations staff doing that for me it's why I recommend this hotel to all my friends! The hotel is very modern, it's beautiful! Our room was enormous we had a bar area and a sink, we even had a balcony patio! We loved it so much we decided to order in and watch a movie together. The remote was a bit complicated at first (and we're young and tech savvy too!) but we eventually figured it out. We were also worried at first because our room was right next to the elevator but surprisingly we never ever heard any loud or distracting sounds from our romantic evening. Very clean, huge beds! It felt like we were in our own little condo, that's the kind of spaciousness I'm trying to explain! Fantastic! One of my girlfriends already booked her surprise night there! We only stayed one night but I loved everything about the room. I have heard from other friends that the service in the restaurant wasn't very good but I can't say. What are you doing? GO NOW!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Abbotsford, BC / Mancheser, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

We stayed at the Matrix on our little exploration trip of the Rocky Mountains and West Edmonton Mall, and we found the hotel was great. We would definately reccomend this to other people looking for a trendy, modern, clean, hospitable hotel.

The room were great, clean and quite spacious, the bathroom was clean and well thought out, (good layout for a typical hotel bathroom) nice powerful shower. The cleaning women were VERY good, we found that not one corner was untouched, they even clean down the chrome taps, shower head etc. Overall the stay was brilliant.

The Location is brilliant, with the Wildflower Grill directly underneath the hotel, providing excellent modern canadian cuisine with a new touch. If you are planning on visiting the city, for business or pleasure, definately check this hotel out! We got a deluxe King room for $126 per night on expedia! The hotel is within a very short drive to West Edmonton Mall, only about 15 mins away, probably 1 right - 1 left - straight on - and you're there!

Breakfast and free internet is included and the breakfast is brilliant, fresh scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes, multiple choices of bread for toast, and jams/butters/spreads, juces, muffins, croissants, fresh fruit salad and the usual tea & coffee, (I'm sure there was more, but there was honestly to much to remember)

If your visiting West Edmonton Mall for pleasure of just Edmonton in general, don't miss out on this excellent hotel!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

First of, I was not sure about this hotel. It was on sale during the weekend I wanted to book it for and it looked very modern ... which got me confused with the price. If I'm right, the room was $96 (from Friday to Saturday - breakfast included) which is cheap for this type of hotel.
The room was really nice; wonderful king bed, nice bathroom (although a little bit small).
Nothing to complain about.
We enjoyed the continental breakfast - it included eggs, toasts, cereals, sausages and so forth.
If you are looking for an affordable, spacious, not too far from the downtown (i.e. at most 10mn by car) ... do not hesitate!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

We paid $89/night with free parking, free nice breakfast, free wine & cheese in the evening. The hotel is 99% remodeled. This is a great deal compare to the other hotels in the area.
The bathroom is smaller but bath tub was big , tall & everything is brand new .
We would come back

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

The Hotel Matrix is a nice hotel. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are well appointed. The staff are friendly and service is okay.

Not the best vacation hotel, as they don't have a pool/hot tub and no concierge service, but a good choice for the business traveler.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Been to Matrix Hotel? Share your experiences!