“Great Hotel but...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Matrix Hotel

You added Matrix Hotel to your Saves list
Matrix Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10640 100 Avenue NW | 107th Street NW, Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3N8, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay & Save Special
Ranked #7 of 89 Hotels in Edmonton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Calgary
“Great Hotel but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I frequently travel to Edmonton for business and I always stay at the Matrix. Not only is this a great, clean hotel and is just a couple of blocks from our Edmonton office, but they have consistently displayed excellent customer service. This is isn't my first review of this hotel but I feel that another review is in order.
The Room is very clean, with clean carpet and enough living space to not make you feel all cooped up. My only issue with the room was the A/C system. It would shut off every 5 mins (it seemed) and then kick back in 5 mins later. When you're a light sleeper (as I am) this is going to be a problem.
Their beds are still one of the best hotel beds I have slept on with the conziest linen and pillows. I have stayed in so many of the Matrix's rooms to say that their beds are consistent in all/most rooms.
The Bathrooms are also clean. However, I have noticed in my most recent stays that the towels are getting old and worn. On a few occasions I have seen floor towels that were frayed at the edges.

Staff at the Matrixare awesome! They are very friendly and they remember you if you stay there enough times, I guess. I particularly love the evening wine and cheese socials (yes, they're free!) where you can easily unwind after a long day at work.

However...in one of my previous stays I was given a room that, unfortunately, had a busted thermostat and no matter how much you adjusted the temp to it's lowest setting the room remained at a warm 25degC. On my first night I woke up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat so I called front desk and they sent up a fan. On my second day, I asked and was moved to a different room and the rest of my stay was the usual great experience that I have come to know with the Matrix. Until I checked out. When I checked out the front desk manager asked me how my stay went and I pretty much told him. He then asked me "what can I do to make it up to you?". This is where the BUT comes in. First of all, this is not the question that you should ask your customers as it makes them look like they demand/expect something in return. Then he gave me his card and told me to email him before my next stay for an upgrade. This is another customer service NO NO. Again, making it seem that the customer is expecting something and will hold you to it. In customer service, you proactively offer. A nice touch would be to put a note in the customer's profile that the next stay would have some perks.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Turkish first
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Spent one night at the Matrix hotel in Edmonton and was blown away with our experience. The staff were very kind and accommodating. Rooms were very spacious and clean upon our arrival. The hotel is perfectly located downtown near many restaurants.

This is a very upscale boutique hotel at a very affordable price.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My wife and I stayed at the Matrix for one night in April. We got a really great rate compared to other Edmonton hotels. When we checked in, we were notified of the free wine and cheese tasting in the evening. Before our supper reservation at Wildflower Grill we went to the wine and cheese tasting. We were both blown away by the excellent spread and complimentary wine that was available. We had an excellent meal in the restaurant in the hotel. It was a tad expensive, but the portions and presentation were worth it.
The hotel room has been wonderfully updated. They were very clean, with comfortable beds. The only disappointment was the parking at the hotel. Underground or covered parking would be preferred.

Room Tip: Great breakfasts
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

First time staying at the Matrix. Great experience! Close proximity to downtown sights and restaurants. The overall decor, furniture and amenities are all very modern and chic. Rooms were super clean and nicely presented. But most of all, the staff are very friendly and accommodating.

Will definitely be back!!

Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I've been staying here for years for business trips and almost always have a positive experience. Staff are really friendly and rooms are good quality. Great breakfast in the morning and wine night is also great.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed here for a night in April. The facilities were very good and the staff very helpful

The only thing I found confusing was how to switch the lights on in the bedroom - eventually i found the switch!

One bizarre element was when I went for breakfast which I was told was free, I was handed a check slip by the staff which showed me the total as $0 with a discount of $15. Wierd.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Red Deer, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I've stayed here for many years on business. The location is great, and over time the hotel has improved from good to great. I always enjoy the wine tasting and the great breakfasts. The staff are friendly and efficient

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Matrix Hotel? Share your experiences!