“Sorry, I couldn't hear you” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Ox Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 1,961 restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Continental
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 95 Ave.
Edmonton
“Sorry, I couldn't hear you”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Nice little restaurant in mid Edmonton area. Unfortunately, acoustics are bad. Hard wood floor, plain walls, and tight seating (not too mention an annoying radio station) all make for a high noise level (when they are busy) and a difficult time to hear who you are with. However, quality of food is great. Portions lack a bit of substance, but can be overlooked by creativity, use of sauces, and taste of food. Very nice wine list with good choices from various countries. Would only return if they do something with the noise level.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

81% Recommend
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

My friend had the Sirloin steak. It was soo tough she could hardly cut it. I had the Pork Belly Appetizer.... Could hardly find it on the plate, it was such a small cube.. Maybe a 1" cube? We both eventually had the chicken... VERY small portions.
High prices. Not worth the cost. Will not go back here again.

Visited November 2013
Edmonton, Canada
“simply - amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our first anniversary at ROI, thanks to the recommendation from a co worker. We adored our evening. Our server was attentive without being overbearing. The food was simply artistic prepared so damn well. The little things made the difference - server knowledge of food, kickass wine list, wonderfully written menu & execution. We will recommend & return. Also to note: the little candle was cute.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Edmonton
“delicious food, lovely service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My elderly parents and I went to the Red Ox Inn for a special dinner. I knew I could depend on this restaurant to deliver a great meal and it didn't disappoint. We were lucky to get a large table in the corner for the three of us, which shielded us a bit from the noise - the conversational level can easily overpower the small dining room. The pork belly appetizer was a perfect size for two to share - thanks to our server for the suggestion! The lamb was fantastic, although it was advertised as medium-rare and was very much on the rare side. The accompanying "falafel" was a strange interpretation of felafel - seemed more like potatoes than chick peas. The home-made gnocci that accompanied the duck were absolutely wonderful. I could order, and eat, a plate full of those!
We really enjoyed the white house wine from BC that comes by the half litre. it's a blend of 5 whites - just delicious.
Attentive service that was not in-your-face. Just right for us.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edmonton, Canada
“Too Noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The food was amazing and I have no complaints with it. The only down side to this restaurant is that the noise is far to loud and there is no privacy. You are sitting pretty well right next to strangers... I don't think I would go back as I like to enjoy a nice conversation with someone while eating a nice dinner , and I could not hear anything my partner was saying and we had to basically scream over the noise... If you do go though, I suggest the pork belly and duck, its amazing !

• Visited August 2013