“Humph!” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Humph!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

This place sounded great and I had heard good things. Unfortunately when I was there with a friend we received lousy service. No one greeted us at the door and others were sat in front of us. At fist I thought they had had a reservation but I finally asked and they didn't. No reason was given for the preferential treatment but my personal suspicion was that we didn't look old or rich enough. Silly - this is Edmonton where people often wear little more than pyjamas and this give no clue to their income.

Food was good, but not worth being treated in a shabby way.

“very disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

I have been to Il Forno for years and have been a regular customer since the 1980's or so. They did change ownership a few years ago but tonight's experience has been the worst. The pasta was dry and unimaginative. I would swear that I can make a better pasta with Safeway's tomato sauce. The pizza were large in portion but they are not made in the restaurant after we examined the back of the pizza. We ended up taking most of the three pizzas home as after one or two slices you would not want more. The wines were so so even though it was $ 8 dollars a glass. At the end of the meal the bill for six persons was close to $200 dollars and on top there was an automatic 18% tips charged as there were six persons. I think if they keep this up the business will go down.

• Visited November 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
edmonton
“Service & Atmosphere experience made me forget the food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

Well I had heard a lot of good things about this place - so I finally tried it.
It was a late dinner with a friend.
Service was slow to non-existent.
Had to pretty much tackle the waiter to get coffee.
but the real clincher was the owner (or manager) carrying on at the next table.
Highly disruptive to a pleasant dinner.
He was carrying on a LOUD conversation (mostly with himself although some poor victim was with him at the table) (perhaps had a few too many vino's - I don't know) Bombastic and totally aggravating at close range. It was hard to hear your self think let alone carry any kind of dinner conversation.
He conveyed a "I'm the big important dude around here, I'm gonna make sure everyone knows it and could care less about the patron" attitude and didn't pay attention to how the restaurant was running.
Won't be back and advise against going
Highly Disappointing and overpriced
I go out for a good meal but would rather have a decent meal with great service where I feel my patronage is appreciated than have a great meal where I don't even get the basics of good service.... promptness and courtesy

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Edmonton
“Excellent!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

I recently met up with friends at Il Forno on the West End. Being a South Southsider, I was not thrilled about having to drive all that way, but it was worth it in every way!
They carry excellent wines, and the food is amazing. I lived in Italy for 4 years, and so I learned all about authentic Italian cuisine. Il Forno knows what they are doing! The prices are good too! Not the cheapest, but absolutley worth it. And the service is great! Attentive, and experienced. You know that you'll get someone who knows what they're doing, not some bratty kid like at one of the chain restaurants (not naming any names).
I now make the drive every time we decide on Italian.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Edmonton
“I would not go back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

The atmosphere is nice and casual. However, because of the poor service and average pasta dishes, I would not go back. Our server seemed to neglect our table of 3 altogether, and it took a long time from the time we sat down to get our drinks and food. It was disappointing that the table next to us who showed up 30 minutes later than us and served by the same server got their food before ours. Would have liked to have coffee and desert after dinner, but with the wait time and the server not even offering, we were turned off. Good service is what makes half of the dining experience--- you need to work on it Il Forno!