“Great place for a special occassion” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Hardware Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 1,978 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Corner of 97th Street & Jasper Ave
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Great place for a special occassion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Lovely atmosphere and great service. Food has always been good. It is wonderful for those special birthdays or anniversaries.

Fort McMurray, Canada
“WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG?!?!?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I took my girlfriend out for a romantic night on the town to take a break from our Christmas shopping trip. I had heard many good things about the restaurant and couldn't wait to try it! We had a late reservation (21:30) and still showed up slightly late (21:40) due to unforseen traffic. They still accomodated us and allowed us to take our time when we chose what to order off the menu.

The atmosphere was a nice departure from the usual restaurant scene. The lighting wasn't too bright, nor too dim. Enough to comfortably see what you were eating, without being blinding. The seating was comfortable, and the decor was well suited. It wasn't loud, just the chatter of some other foodies preaching the quality of their food, and a slight sound of the hustle and bustle in the kitchen. It was pleasant to go to a restaurant where the company around you also enjoy excellent food.

For a starter we had the charcuterie. It was fantastic. Muskox deli clices, wild boar pate, whitetail deer sausage, in-house prepared dijon mustard, and an assortment of cheeses. We couldn't believe the quality and quantity of food. My significant other and I are both foodies and tend to gorge when amazing food is on hand. However, this is a big appetizer and I wouldn't recommend ordering another, as you may not have room for the amazing entrees.

For our entrees, I chose the bacon wrapped elk and beef short ribs. The Elk and beef were cooked perfectly. The bacon on the on the elk was excellent too, not too crispy or too chewy The side was a Polenta cake and some sort of spinach. M'lady ordered the duck breast entree, served with duck sausage. Her side included a delectable butternut-pear squash. We were both extremely satisfied with our main course, and spent as much time eating from eachothers plates as we did our own!

We didn't have a dessert, as we were both too full to eat anymore. The Waiter told us we could order a dessert and take it with us. We didn't feel that we would appreciate the dessert as much as it deserved if it was eaten out of a styrofoam box several hours later.

Our waiter was incredible. He knew the menu inside and out, and served wines that complimented our meals perfectly. He was friendly, knowledgable and provided us with a dining experience that we hope to repeat again and again.

For a large appetizer, two large entrees, 4 glasses of wine and a micro-brewery beer, the bill came to $150. I feel this incredibly fair for the excellent service of the kitchen and wait staff, as well as the quality of the food. One could go to Earl's, Moxie's or something similar for this price. We all know that the food and service would be completely underwhelming relative to the Hardware Grill. I wish I hadn't waited so long to enjoy this restaurant. I know this establishment will become a staple of our trips down the highway to Edmonton.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Renowned, Refurbished, Rewarding, Reloved”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Banquetting, even in open kitchen area, is now featured in subtly updated digs. Thank owner Larry, his food remains inventive, organic, and better than ever. Borscht was pureed essence; Kobe burger was a baseball of tastiness with pickled red onion hash and crunchy-chewy yam fries, pasta with shrimps was al dente, laved in in cream, olive oil, Italian Parmesan, sundried tomatoes, with incomparably tasty grilled shrimps, and unexpected treasure -- diced ones hidden inside the sauce. Oh my!
Sliced chicken breast roofed a house of cubed fresh carrots, green veggies, and roasted potatoes. Oh, divine edible architecture.
Dessert was manna: Creme brulee salted and carmelled, 12-year Glenlivet Scotch-soaked butterscotch cream pudding with the best macaroons of the last 5 decades. Oh, memories renewed.
Even Earl Grey tea was perfection, unchemicaled whole leaves in a detailed iron Asian pot. The King is back! Numero uno. One of the best lunches we 6 have ever had anywhere. Parking is unfun and food is dear, as well as darling. But, oh, sheer love it was. Caveat: That was Wonder Lunch! The 5-course Chefs' Supper might break a tender heart. Oh, what a way to go to heaven, Hardware Grilled to perfection! Report on that supper-in-the-kitchen special when my bank account allows. Oh, something worth scrimping for!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Edmonton
“Good, but not Great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Usually, trip advisor does not steer us wrong when it comes to restaurants. This time, although Hardware Grill is a nice restaurant, we were expecting more. As the #1 restaurant in Edmonton, I guess our expectations were perhaps a bit too high?

Anyhow, great service, really nice decor and a good meal, but not as great as we have had in other restaurants recently (the Wildflower Cafe was much better for less money).

There were 6 of us and we had the early menu with the three courses for $50 per person. Not a bad deal, but some of the diners in our party were less than impressed. The soup of the evening was borscht, which was quite good. My friend had the crispy duck which she did not care for. There was no real salad option and my husband ordered what he thought would be a salad with boccacini cheese, but it was more of a jellied cheese with crackers. A salad option would have been nice.

For the main course, many of us decided on the steak. Not a great cut which we found to be tough. The lobster mac and cheese that some had was good, but really rich - probably better suited as a side dish.

I was quite excited for dessert, which was again a bit disappointing. The gingerbread cake was good, but they also had a snickers type dessert that for a chocolate lover like me was a no-brainer, but once again I found I have had better desserts in much less expensive restaurants.

We also received an unwelcome surprise with the bill: an 18% gratuity that was built-in. I had thought that as 6 people, we wouldn't be considered a group, but apparently at this restaurant we are. I have no problem with a generous tip and the service was good (not exceptional though) and we felt the 18% was a bit high as our waiter only took our order and came by one other time, with other waitiers bringing most of the courses.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
edmonton
“Great treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

have never been here before but received a gift certificate and we were certainly not disappointed. For what you get the prices were reasonable. We had the 3 course early special. We were stuffed and satisfied. The menu has items that you do not find in many other restaurants. The atmosphere is great since the tables are not crowded together and you can actually carry on a normal conversation at your table. Wouild certainly go back for special occasion.

• Visited October 2012