“What a disappointment!” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Characters is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #136 of 1,978 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Continental, Canadian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Yuma
“What a disappointment!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

We were looking forward to this holiday dinner. Hadn't eaten since mid morning so we were both starving. Took forever for staff to serve predinner drinks - I couldn't get a glass of German Reisling - only by the bottle. I only drink one glass per day. So I drank water. When we finally sat down to dinner (around 8:00 PM) - the served their signature starters - platters of deep fried chips in place of bread. They were extremely greasy. I told the waitress twice that due to medical reasons I could not eat anything very greasy or deep fried - she shook her head and said she would look into it. I didn't dare touch the potato starters. The entree was to be served with deep fried macaroni and cheese - again I told her I would like simple veggies since I couldn't eat deep fried food. My salad arrived with a balsamic vinegar dressing that was very bitter and the soggy lettuce was swimming in it. Sent it back uneaten. My steak and veggies were served floating in grease - worse than most greasy spoons along the interstates! I rescued a few pieces of veggies and tried to fish the meat out of the congealing fat in the plate. The steak was very rare - I had requested well done. Needless to say - I ate very little - and returned to our hotel very hungry. Thank goodness for granola bars in my suitcase. My husbands plate had much less grease on it than mine - almost as if the kitchen decided to get even with me for requesting a meal with minimal fat and grease. But even he said the meal was far too greasy for his tastes!! If we are ever invited to this establishment again - I will eat out before we go. Far tastes good but this meal was very unhealthy and totally inappropriate for my dietary needs.

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

toronto
“nice atmosphere in a renovated old warehouse.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

good food, good service, good prices, picturesque old wood beams from old days.

Visited December 2011
Edmonton, Canada
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

Wow food was fantastic, and the private 'elevator shaft' table was great for that special dinner. Very recommended for any special occasion!

• Visited May 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Edmonton, Canada
“Always fantastic, but would love more socially concious choices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

Fois Gras, Veal, Sea Bass... I'm not a radical, but have decided to try to order more discriminatingly at restaurants. It's tough to do at Characters. My last two visits, I reluctantly ordered the filet mignon and felt a little like I was copping out.

They always impress, but I can't help but think they'd blow my mind with some free-range and conscientious items. Just saying'

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bromley, United Kingdom
“The food and service was very poor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

We went for supper. The service was appalling. We waited 45 minutes for our meal. I had a tuna steak with ratatouille- the presentation was horrible, a tuna steak in the middle of unappetising vegetables drowning in some kind of balsamic vinegar sauce. I know tuna is seared so never hot- but this was cold. My friend and the sea bass and she said it was no better. Desserts were also disappointing- my pumpkin creme brulee had way too much sugar toffee on top, my friends ice cream was served in a brick which the restaurant thought was very clever- I thought it looked very inelegant. Apparently there were two parties going on, one for 40 and one for 20- perhaps this is why our experience was so bad. I won't be going back.

• Visited November 2011