“Horrible” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Parkallen Restaurant

Parkallen Restaurant
7018 109 St NW, Edmonton, Alberta T6H 3C1, Canada (Queen Alexandra)
(780) 436-8080
Neighborhood: Queen Alexandra
Edmonton, Canada
“Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Some items on the menu were no available??Wine cabinet is half empty with selection miminal. Very pricey. Will NEVER go back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

60% Recommend
Sherwood Park, Canada
“Good Food, Great Service, ask for Dale!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We have been to Parkallen several times, and have always had good food. The Pizza is the BEST! Although we enjoy the food, we go more for the service by waiter, Dale. He makes the evening very enjoyable. He's great with customers, very knowledgeable about the menu and the wine, and is entertaining while he is serving. We have never been to a restaurant before where the service is that memorable. Dale's has a great personality and goes out of his way to make you feel special. We took my 80 year old aunt there for her birthday and she still talks about it. Dale made her feel like a queen. The restaurant is off the beaten path a bit, but well worth the trip. ENJOY!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great food, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

I visited the Parkallen last night on a recommendation from some friends. It was a Monday night, so we were seated quickly. I was immediately impressed by the beautiful wine display as you enter.

Our server was top notch - he was very knowledgeable about the menu and was able to answer any questions we had.

On his recommendation, we ordered the platinum mecca platter. I must say, for anyone who's never experienced middle eastern cuisine, this is an excellent way to try a large sampling of dishes. The highlights for me were the baba ganouj and tabouleh - though it was all excellent.

It was a little pricey considering the portions you receive ($40 per person ordering the platter), however, there was such an abundance of food that I left completely stuffed with leftovers to take home.

I wish I could remember the name of our server - as he was the only one in the dining room, he handled his large amount of tables with skill & precision. Truly the best service I have seen in a very long time.

Will gladly return the next time I make it to Edmonton!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Canada
“Side dish of roast potatoes was the highlight... yikes!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

It had been a long time since our last visit, but went with another couple to use a Groupon deal. Things started off poorly when their Open sign wasn't lit so we were worried it was closed, but things didn't get better with a very unfriendly, surly 'host'. Several spelling errors quickly visible in the menu (tenderlion, glutten) which could be quirky or even a little charming if the food and service made up for such things, but they didn't.

Our server seemed scattered, even though it wasn't very busy. The lamb sausage starter was overcooked by a fair amount, but tasty. The fatoush salad was VERY salty, and we left most of it uneaten.

Entrees took a LONG time to arrive.

My wife's catch of the day dish (cod) was OK, nothing special and one of the side dishes was wrong - the right one was brought out in a separate dish.
A friend's New York steak was overdone but hot and tasty.
My own filet mignon was actually *cold*, not lukewarm or warm (certainly not hot). The roast potatoes were hot and tasty, the Lebanese rice (with slivered almonds) was tasty but cold.
My dish was taken away and returned within 2-3 minutes - most likely microwaved. It was still underdone but I wasn't going to bother sending it back again while the rest of the group was nearly finished their entrees.
Desserts were the Key Lime Cheesecake and Red Velvet Cake - both nice, but nothing special.

After reading some good reviews of this place we were hoping for more, but it's a sad state of affairs when it's a side dish of roast potatoes that was the highlight of the night.

Yes, it's an extensive wine list (although poorly laid out), but our surly host mentioned that they're going to cut that back. Our bottle of red was very nice, but I suppose for a bottle costing over $80 you would expect it to be pretty good.

We definitely will not be back after this experience...Parkallen comes across as a place that used to be very good but has lost its way. There are far better places out there than this, from our experience.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Edmonton, Canada
“Good meal1”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We had very good service and good food on our visit to Parkallen. They were out of some menu items which was disappointing but the tenderloin was delicious and done medium rare just perfectly. The potatoes were yummy and the fatoush salad I love. My wine suggested by the server was really good and my husband's also. My creme brulee was great - nice hard crust and yummy custard underneath. We had the shrimp appeteizer which was rather lacking in flavour - they could spice that one up a bit. I think it is just slightly overpriced but the ambiance is nice so you pay for that and attentive service. We were rushed just a little bit as we came early on a Sat. night - 6 pm - and there was quite a a line up when we left at 7:15 but I would think if you said you were wanting the meal to last longer you could just say so. We were OK with the pace.

• Visited May 2013