“Mandatory Gratuity” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #255 of 1,979 Restaurants in Edmonton
Edmonton
“Mandatory Gratuity”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My friends and I regularly go out for breakfast Saturday mornings. A few weeks ago we went to Under the high Wheel. We had been there before with a smaller party, and tipped as the service and food were good.
This time, there was seven of us. service was a bit slow but we did not mind as we were chatting. At the end of the meal, we were surprised to find a 17% service charge on the bill. The server told us that any party over six persons get charged this gratuity.
We dine at another restaurant where the service is better and we pay a 15% on parties with eight people or over.
Although the service at Under the High wheel is usually mediocre, and not many smiling servers, the food is good and the coffee from DaCapo, great.
I won't be returning with my Saturday morning friends, as our party is usually over six individuals, and I resent having to pay a gratuity which is high and seldom deserved.
Incidently, I usually tip unless the servicer is rude or offhand.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Alberta
“The most uncomfortable seating in Edmonton”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

The food is OK, but the chairs on the patio and the metal chairs inside are really not comfortable to sit in, and given the slow service that we experienced, it was not an experience that I want to repeat. It seems odd that the organic beef burger and the portabello "burger" are the same price. They tasted good, but where very messy to eat. Our server seemed to be more occupied with filling the dishwasher, than checking on her tables, making the metal chair time even longer.

• Visited August 2012