“A great start for a new hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Points by Sheraton Edmonton Gateway

Save Saved
You added Four Points by Sheraton Edmonton Gateway to your Saves list
Four Points by Sheraton Edmonton Gateway
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10010 - 12th Avenue SW, Edmonton, Alberta T6X 0P9, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #4 of 90 hotels in Edmonton
St. John's, Canada
“A great start for a new hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

First and foremost, I can not say enough about the service at this hotel. The hotel just openned and is still working through some minor kinks (door locks, malfunctions in climate control systems, hot and cold water labels reversed, guest laundry not working, etc.) but the staff will bend over backwards to make it correct.
Due to the issues I've listed above, I requested to switch my room. The hotel staffed immidiately jumped into action. They upgraded me, appologized repeatedly, helped me move my bags, provided me with a gift card for dinner, and offered to comp my stay for that night. I honestly didn't ask for any of that and was totally blown away when they offered it!

Rooms: The rooms are well furnished. The beds are extremely comfortable. All the rooms were perfectly clean and huge! I did have to make some adjustments to the curtains in my room due to the long daylight hours in the summer here to block the sunlight late at night. Something to consider if you choose a room facing south.

Location: The hotel is located on Ellerslie street, which provides ample access to restaurants and basic shopping. In general this hotel is not located near any tourist spots, but that was not my purpose in staying here anyway. It is located only 15 minutes north of the airport, and provides easy access to the Nisku industrial park (where I happen to work). It is a little difficult to find on my GPS. I just punch in the Hampton Inn, which this hotel shares a parking lot with.

Food: The hotel's room service is provided by a restaurant called the White Spot. I found their prices extremely reasonable, and their food to be of a reasonable quality. Their service is extremely fast! I'd say the longest I had to wait for food was only 20 minutes!

All in all, I will definitely stay in this hotel again!

Room Tip: I always stay in the Bussiness suites. For a little more money, you get a lot more room! Also, you m...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
fjanmohamed, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Edmonton Gateway, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor. I am glad to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and the services provided here at the hotel.

On behalf of staff and management at the hotel, we thank you for your business and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

149 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

At first I had a little trouble trying to find out how to get to the hotel, a little hard from Calgary Trail, as I missed the overpass, both ways :s. I ended up taking the back way from south common on Parsons road. It was super easy and very convienient!

I booked this hotel on price line for $88/night on price line, which worked out to $200 with taxes for the 2 nights. The front desk staff were very quick and effiecient at getting me checked in.

The room was spacious clean, and beds were really comfortable!

On the last day my sister and I went to the Whitespot after we checked out. The restaurant was fairly busy, so it took awhile to get served and for the food to come. We both frequent Whitespot in BC, and love it. So we were very dissapointed when our food came out. The burger buns were visably burned, the tomatoes were old and soggy, the fries were cold and the coleslaw tasted horrible. Apparently that's what happens when food is left under the heater for too long.

We sent our plates back, so the manager removed them from the bill, and gave us a $40 gift certificate to come back, along with free dessert. It was a very nice gesture... however with reading the other comments about the restaurant... I don't know that I will actually go back.

I didn't go to the pool myself, but my daughter and niece did. They also found it to be very small, and not too fun.

If you're looking for somewhere affordable, clean, and close to south side - I would stay here :)

Room Tip: I've heard that not all the rooms have a bathtub... Since I was travelling with children, I did...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
fjanmohamed, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Edmonton Gateway, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and do apologize about the dining experience.

The White Spot Restaurant is a leased operation and will certainly share your feedback and comments with the team.

On behalf of the staff and management at the hotel, we thank you for your business and look forward to welcoming back to the hotel.

Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Recently had the pleasure of staying three nights at the new Sheraton while visiting Edmonton. The rooms are wonderfully spacious, well furnished and the beds are exceptionally comfortable. We slept very well during our entire stay and for the price it was terrific value. It is extremely close to South Edmonton common for shopping and there is a Tim's a couple blocks over for a coffee fix in the morning.

Although we didn't experience any problems we did notice a few kinks that should be worked out by the staff to bring the hotel closer to Starwood service standards.

1) The beds were made up strangely with more than half of the comforter tucked underneath. That meant they were short sheeted so we had to 'remake' them each night before we could get comfortable.
2) We received only one bottle of water each day (although there were two of us registered).
3) Our towels were gradually decreased from four to two. Although it wasn't a big deal you do wonder if you're going to get charged for 'missing towels' when that happens.
4) The fan didn't work at all in our bathroom (there wasn't even a switch for it automatic or otherwise).

As far as the interior of the actual hotel goes, they've placed a seating area directly between the entrance and the elevator doors. Although the lobby looks lovely it's annoying to have to go around the couches everytime you want to go to your room. We also found that the hotel keys did not always work in the elevator and sometimes that meant you had to go for a ride. As far as the actual rooms go, the doors are very heavy and can be tough to pull open.

We did go for a swim but kept it very short, the pool is small and heated to the point of feeling like bathwater so it wasn't very refreshing. The exercise room was well equipped with a selection of fitness machines which was nice to see. Finally the hotel does have a 'cantina' behind the desk which has a nice selection of drinks, snacks and sundries.

As far as the outside goes the parking layout is a little odd and cramped. One correction to a previous review is that this hotel is across from The Hampton by Hilton, not the Hyatt. There is a parkade for additional parking around the back but we didn't check it out. There is still quite a bit of landscaping and cleanup work to do behind the hotel - the gardens and parking lot just don't appear to be finished.

We ate at "White Spot" which is the restaurant attached to the hotel for two nights. The layout of the restaurant is a little confusing because the hostess station is located at the far entrance (not where you enter from the hotel). Because it wasn't clear we ended up waiting near the bar for someone to acknowledge us the first night which never happened. We actually had to walk across to the other side before anyone said anything.

We're not that picky with the exception of my mom's food allergies and to be honest they did try. The first night we ordered the turkey dinner and the rib special. Our server forgot to punch in our order so we waited over an hour before our food arrived. My turkey dinner arrived with fries so I asked for the mashed potato with gravy listed on the menu (why I ordered it) while my mom ate her ribs (which were mediocre at best). The turkey dinner finally arrived when my mom was just about done her meal complete with superheated potatoes (from the microwave), cold everything else and crunchy broccoli. To be honest it tasted like something I could have picked up from Sobeys in the TV dinner section but we had waited so long for food (over an hour and half at this point) that I just ate what I could and didn't finish the rest. Our bill was offered with a discount of 25% the first night for the lengthy wait.

Although we didn't have a great experience they were proactive in trying to correct it so we decided to give them a second try. We ordered burgers from the menu since it seemed to be pretty simple and asked for no cheese on my mom's since she has severe milk allergies. As it turns out, our second attempt ended with my mom waiting for her meal. Apparently they forgot to leave cheese off her burger and had to remake it. The kitchen ended up serving her meal in pieces, a plate of fries, followed a several minutes later by her burger and then a plate with her coleslaw after she asked for it. The food was good on the second night and this time the bill was offered without a charge for my mom's meal.

I want to note that we did not ask for a discount on either night - it was offered in advance by the wait staff. Although I appreciate the gesture I don't know whether I would go back. The food was a little hit and miss and its never a really great experience when one person eats while the other sits and waits. White Spot needs to work out some of their kinks.

Overall the things we noticed weren't deal breakers for us. The hotel is new and has a few minor issues to work out which we expected. I actually think its a pretty great value considering the location and amenities. We were a little dissapointed with the overall experience at White Spot and there are a few restaurants in South Edmonton Common within a short drive that offer better value (Montana's, Earl's, Swiss Chalet etc.). I have no problems returning to the hotel and likely will, I'd skip White Spot until they work things out.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor. We certainly appreciate your feedback and comments regarding your overall stay.

We are working with our associates with on-going coaching and training here at the hotel with regards to the towels, bottled water and the sheets.

The White Spot restaurant is a leased operation and we as a team will share your comments and feedback with them.

On behalf of the staff and management at the hotel, we thank you for your business and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

This hotel just opened and is very close to Ikea and the airport (YEG), in the middle of a business/industrial park. It shares a parking lot with the Hyatt by Hilton, so if your GPS can't find it (mine couldn't), that might help. Other than that, there is literally nothing else around in the area - no gas stations or shops.

When I arrived, the front desk clerk didn't seem to know what he was doing or why he was there. I was given a room on the top floor (8th - Starwood Preferred Guests) and had free WIFI and bottled water. My room also had a microwave and mini fridge. The room was lovely and spacious but the door did not lock. I called downstairs and was promptly moved to the neighbouring room, which was actually somewhat nicer because it had a bath and not just a stand-up shower.

On my way out for the day, I asked for a map and some directions, but was given one word answers from a different front desk person this time. I was just looking for information that was slightly more helpful, especially seeing as there was no one else around and it wasn't busy.
I hope with time, the staff will gain a bit more experience dealing with guests.

Otherwise, I have nothing to complain about. It was your average Sheraton/Four Points experience (being a Starwood member for about 10 years, you know what to expect!). I did not use room service (it was a restaurant called White Spot, which seemed to boast giant servings of meat and cheese) or the pool.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor. We certainly appreciate your feedback and do apologize for the lack of acknowledgement and service encounters you received from the associates.

We are continuely training and coaching the team on an on-going basis. We certainly appreciate your patronage to Starwood Hotels & Resorts and as a valued SPG member we thank you for the business.

On behalf of the staff and management at the hotel, we thank you for your business and look forward to welcoming you back.

Alberta Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Spent one night here 8 days after the official opening, and I can confirm this is a very solid entry for the Edmonton hotel scene. From the 4 hotels situated S from the Calgary Trail / Anthony Henday intersection, it is the one that displays the most style. It was funny to see the parkings for all the other hotels being full, while this one had just few cars. And this was exactly the feeling we had, that the hotel was almost fully ours. It will become more exciting once the public discovers this place.
Anyhow, the lobby design is very impressive, much nicer than the FP at the Calgary Airport, and discussing with the Front Desk, they plan to always display real flowers in the public places. Small things have big effect, but we will have to see if they will honor their promise. About the rooms, they display the new look you find in most of the recently opened Four Points hotels.Big fridge, by the way, but no freezer. Bottom line is that you feel really good when you know you are one of the first ones to stay in these rooms. The one thing we did not fully embrace is that in the bathrooms, they choose to utilize shampoo/conditioner/shower gel dispensers. Everything is so nice there, that this "trick" displays the feeling of a public shower, not the intimacy of a hotel bathroom... And the other weak thing is the resident restaurant that they have on the premises, it is a White Spot, that is sub-par (IMO) with the quality of the hotel.
The rate was very good, in the low 100's, at par with the Hampton Inn across the parking, less the breakfast. If they keep the rate in the appropriate range, the style over the breakfast might prime to many of us. Good luck, FPSEG!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and do appreciate the feedback regarding your stay.

As a new hotel, we are continuely going to work ourt the deficiences from a building standpoint and the dispensers in the bathrooms is part of the green initiative for all Four Points by Sheraton by the end 2012.

As a new built, we took a proactive approach and installed them immediately.

The White Spot Restaurant is a leased operation and we as a hotel will continue to work with them to ensure your experience on your next visit will be better. We will certainly share your feedback with them.

Farid Janmohamed

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Edmonton Gateway? Share your experiences!